PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

December 2009 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• elizabunny
    elizabunny Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    edited 2 December 2009 at 10:09PM
    Options
    I've found this website to be the cheapest around for Frontline (half what my vet charges) is the prescription food on there?

Thank you so much x_raphael_xx, SunnyGirl & prettypaula for your links and help. I still can't seem to get the price down below around £152 per month yet -but will keep looking.

helen jelly So sorry to be a pain but can you increase my annual total to £1610 and my December month to £200. DH has been saving £1 coins in a pot which I was unaware of and has given me the proceeds towards my Xmas shopping, an extra £50 Yippee. I am thrilled and cooked him his favourite dinner.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • helen_jelly
    helen_jelly Posts: 2,982 Forumite
    Options
    elizabunny wrote: »
    Thank you so much x_raphael_xx, SunnyGirl & prettypaula for your links and help. I still can't seem to get the price down below around £152 per month yet -but will keep looking.

helen jelly So sorry to be a pain but can you increase my annual total to £1610 and my December month to £200. DH has been saving £1 coins in a pot which I was unaware of and has given me the proceeds towards my Xmas shopping, an extra £50 Yippee. I am thrilled and cooked him his favourite dinner.

What a pain about the cost of the pet food but what a lovely suprise from DH

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • poppy-glos
    Options
    hi. my first post ever on here.

last month i wrote down every purchase as i did not have a clue what i spent, so now I know last month my spending on grocery and household shopping, plus meals and snacks out, was £245.00.
    We are a household with one adult, one child and one dog.
    My target for December is to spend less than £230 on on these things.

Last month I tried to use up everything in my cupboards and freezer (which are pretty well stocked but the food is so so boring), so this month i am continuing with that. Also, trying to only buy food to eat that day or buy items which are on offer that we use anyway to save paying full price later when the prices go up again.

Good luck everyone with this months challenge.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • mark55man
    mark55man Posts: 7,924 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nearly got away with a NSD, but have to confess - just done a late shop needed some bread and eggs and some fruit so £5.21 at Mr T. total spend £10/£500
    I think I saw you in an ice cream parlour
    Drinking milk shakes, cold and long
    Smiling and waving and looking so fine
  • WendysWorld
    Options
    Hi there, I've been on an "MSE Holiday" for a while due to I don't know what. Laziness probably! However, my budget has gone out of control so need to rein it in again! I'm probably starting on the worst month of the year for groceries but at least it might make me concentrate a bit!

Anyway, can I be put down for £350 this month!!
    Thanks Helen Jelly

Must do it...

Have already spent £7 of it....

BM
  • prettypaula
    Options
    have pre booked my christmas food delivery for 20th from Mr S (bit of a treat as we dont usually shop at the bury!)

it totalled approx £44.91 but i wont add it in until im certain of amount when delivered

but thats everything from christmas day and no doubt leftovers lol with a few bits like milk etc thrown in.

so it looks like i may come under budget this month :T
    DFW - Debt Free Date July 2013, LBM Oct 2011

Total Debt Sept 2011 £23,708.39
    Paid so far £2,383.91 :money:
    Current Debt £21,560.56

• SunnyGirl
    SunnyGirl Posts: 2,639 Forumite
    Options
    I have just read this post out to my DH & told him that if he wanted to consider saving me £1 coins then he wasn't to hold back :rotfl:

Well done to your DH & hope he enjoyed his dinner. With luck you may find the dog food at a better price somewhere. It might be worth looking at wholesalers as they are the ones who supply vets maybe :confused:
  • poppy-glos
    Options
    i'm new, hence not getting this right first time,please put me down for £230.

i have been looking online at the deals this week, if i drive by

lidl i'll buy 7 snack bananas for 59p and 3 tins of rice pudding for £1.25,
    or
    morrisons i'll get clemintines 90p for 700g and a litre of kellys cornish icecream for £1.49.

nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
  • plzhelpmesave!
    Options
    evening all

had a family visit today so nipped out to get some stuff, and ended up spending £31:eek: BUT that included enough chicken breast to last hopefully for the next 2 weeks, some food for a party tomorrow and some bogof samosas that will keep in the freezer, so actually not a bad shop, BUT means that I have already spent £66 this month - and then DH spent £7ish today on some bits that were not essential...! Also saw a couple of other things in the shop that are on offer til 13th so will be spending another £20 there this month...

Will soooo be storecupboarding for the rest of the week - should only need milk and bread so max £5 till sunday (hopefully)

Gonna be a hard month i think!
  • Sunnyday
    Sunnyday Posts: 3,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 December 2009 at 9:00AM
    Options
    Afternoon All!

OMG:eek: One of our doggies is quite poorly and has to go on a special prescription diet. She is a GSD and this will work out at around £5.35p per day :eek: It gets worse, she may have to stay on it for 6 months:eek:

Now by my reckoning that equates to about £150+ per month which is more than our usual GC Budget:eek::eek::eek: and the insurance will only pay possibly up to 25%

It looks like DH and me will be grazing on the lawn for the next 6 months.

On a brighter note, a NSD for me so far today, if I get to midnight that will be 2 in a row..........................could do with around 180 in a row:rolleyes:

Comforting myself with HM Beef Stew and Dumplings for Dinner tonight and the leftover Banana Pud from yesterday.

Eliza bunny i`m not sure if this will help or not, it does depend on the exact situation.
    There is more info here http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter/bladder-stones-crystals/

Our GSD cross suffered from struvites when she was younger. She seemed to have a spate of bladder infections quite close together and our vet was a bit baffled by it. We had all the usual tests done etc and the vet told us we could either try the food or alter her diet or a bit of both.
    In the end we changed her diet and now she is fine. The only time she has a problem is when she has really exerted herself and she passes a tiny amount or urine without noticing in her sleep but this happens once or twice a year.
    This may not be suitable for your doggie but have a word with your vet.
    Our hound is a huge eater so either way was going to be very expensive but we managed to cut the cost a bit.
    The vet did do checks after she had been on a different diet for a while and she was fine.

She now has a more or less normal diet and is very healthy. We gradually altered her diet so that it wasn`t too much of a change for her and then over several weeks we altered it back.
    She still has chicken and brown rice etc added to her food sometimes too as well as other bits and bobs.
    Hope this is of some help for you.

Well i`ve done two shops, one at MrA and one at MrM so as soon as i`ve taken the extra bits and bobs off the bills that i`ve bought for other people i shall post my total spends for the week.:D
    SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family