Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Options

Comments

• LuxuryWoman
    Options
    My nails keep breaking so any tips on nail strengtheners would be good. I've tried some paint on stuff I got from boots but it made matters worse not better.

Oil, rub a little oil around the nailbed each night, sweet almond is good but any will do. You want nails to be flexible not hard, very hard nails can break easily like glass. Mine grow incredibly quickly
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    My nails keep breaking so any tips on nail strengtheners would be good. I've tried some paint on stuff I got from boots but it made matters worse not better.

Oil, rub a little oil around the nailbed each night, sweet almond is good but any will do. You want nails to be flexible not hard, very hard nails can break easily like glass. Mine grow incredibly quickly

I guess I could use my flax seed oil for now and get some sweet almond next time I'm shopping. Funnily enough I do sometimes rub the remains of flax seed oil into my left hand as the oil is in my right hand and my left hand nails are in better condition than my right hand so that makes sense.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a difference in two days. It's glorious here today. :)

I'm going to pop out after lunch. Bread is looking low in the freezer but that's just an excuse to go out. :D

Thanks for the tips. I think it's an excellent idea to share them. I've taken up the flaxseed tip and I've been using it as a serum on days when I'm not in ao hurry as it does take longer to soak in. I have done the nail oil tip too but I need to make more of a habit of that. I'll do it tonight. :D

I'd like to add Aqueous Cream to the list. It's just £1 for a big tub (in the £ shop :D). I use it on my feet but it's good to extend that up my legs or on elbows after a shower. Just rub it between your palms and it goes on smoothly.

In general I've found that moisturiser goes further if you rub it between palms first. It's very mse. :money:

I'm sure I'll think of more. :)
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    Maman, if I'm planning on a soak in the bath I put loads of flax seed oil on as it seems to really absorb well which I suppose is the warm moist air. I sometimes do it on my hair as well, rub well in and wrap in a towel and leave for an hour or more and my hair is lovely and soft and shiny once it's washed and dry.
  • LuxuryWoman
    LuxuryWoman Posts: 156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tip swapping is a great idea.

I’m trying to get used to my new mouth, it will take a few days as the teeth have had all kinds done to them, looks great though and I feel much better than expected after all the injections and prodding.

I have had my eyebrows threaded, refreshed my hair colour and painted my nails. I still look exhausted though. I need sunshine badly.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Love the tip swapping:D

Pretty much any oil will help with the nails, I have health problems which show in my nails, my nail tech tells me to oil them as many times a day as I can fit in.

Understanding the principle that something that works for one does not necessarily help another I was still slightly miffed to find that after using flaxseed oil on my face, which is well hydrated, that my skin felt really dry, I have plenty of rose hip oil which is my HG so will stick with that. I had squeezed the contents of several 1000mg capsules into a little pot, but will use it up on my feet:money:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    maddiemay you are so right about things not working for everyone and I suppose that is the drawback with giving tips. At least if they are fairly inexpensive we haven't lost much and as we aren't trying to sell stuff we do know they are genuine tips.

I've heard lots of good things about rosehip oil so I think I am going to try some as well as the sweet almond, at least it is fun experimenting. I tried flaxseed originally as the Consultant at the eye hospital told me to take it for my dry eyes. I had been using fish oil but he said flaxseed was better so I gave it a go and it has helped a bit, I can't say it was a miracle cure but I was able to cut down on the eye drops a bit. I would love to be able to cure them as they do feel so scratchy and sore. I shouldn't complain, I have my sight and that is a blessing. I remember sitting at the eye hospital when one of my children was little waiting for an eye test as the HV was a bit worried about him but it was all fine. A lovely little girl was chatting to me and proudly showed me her new watch, I was a bit puzzled as it looked unusual but I said how lovely it was. She said it was braille and she was learning how to use it before she was completely blind. I was choked up but she was such a happy little soul and a real credit to her parents. What a thing to have to cope with, she must have been 7 or 8 and she went on to say she was going for a trip to the boarding school for blind children that she would go to when she was 11 so that she could learn her way round while she could still see.

Well I hope that hasn't depressed anyone too much, it was sad but inspiring. Hope everyone is well.
  • littlegreenparrot
    Options
    I'm back at work, which is great.
    Now have to get back into the swing of it and try to shift the weight I've managed to accumulate. New job is a long way from any shops, so it means my only option will be to eat nice healthy packed lunches. No sneaking out for pop or chocolate will be possible!

For knit wear try having a look at uniqlo. They do cashmere mix sweaters, different styles and colours. Not many stores in the UK but the website is easy, and no returns issues.
    Good lounge wear as well.
  • savingfortomorrow
    Options
    I admit that i can not stand wearing a watch, it makes my skin raw after a few days. I usually am good at guessing time to 10 minutes but have a phone and that works. I am not great with punctuality very much just in time, never early as not getting paid for that.

My house clothes are a disaster as i have pure casual or super nice daily clothes. Some of my hoodies when after food prep can look like a jackson pollard painting. However, it can be washed and all is ok. I would never leave the house in messy clothes. I hate lounging in pj bottoms, I always have to wear real clothes.
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My tip is... EBay is great for MSE fabbing.

Sugarbaby is the queen of EBay and I rejoined a few years ago after reading about her many bargains. A lot of what is on eBay is brand new and often cheaper than in the shops. This week, I bought a bag for £130 which is selling for £400 in the shops. There are lots of fakes and dodgy sellers, but I have always done my research before making a purchase so I haven’t had many problems.

TK Maxx is also worth a try. I take my phone worth me and will google their brands. I am currently lying on my 1000 thread count bedding, which I got from TK Maxx.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure