Credit cards and foreign currency

Options
2»

Comments

• _Mrs_W_
    _Mrs_W_ Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Emily Joy - we are eligible for the Clarity card with Halifax, but we go next Friday and I'm worried 5 working days is cutting it fine to get both the card and pin! But if I'm going to have to use the current card anyway there doesn't seem to be much advantage of ordering currency on it now than withdrawing from an ATM over there, so I think we will just apply now and hope the Clarity card arrives on time! If not, we will withdraw cash in the States with the current credit card and at least we will have it for next time :)
    Thanks again for your help!
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Options
    _Mrs_W_ wrote: »
    Hi. The minimum fee is £3 and we'd have to do it in 2 transactions as it's over the £250 a day withdrawal limit, so total would be £6 in fees, plus the extra interest
    I don't think there's a £250 daily limit.

That said, a percentage charge will exceed the minimum fee.
  • _Mrs_W_
    Options
    I don't think there's a £250 daily limit.

That said, a percentage charge will exceed the minimum fee.

Oh I assumed it would be the same as a debit card, and most of them are £250 a day aren't they? Or has that changed?

Looks like the fee will be roughly the same whichever way I do it, but I have just thought that if I withdraw the cash over there I obviously wouldn't do it until near the end of the holiday (and only if I needed to). Whereas to order currency online, I'd be doing that now. So the ATM option would more than likely result in 11 or 12 days less interest, so definitely seems the best option

Thanks again!
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh I assumed it would be the same as a debit card, and most of them are £250 a day aren't they? Or has that changed?

It's normally £500 ;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,243 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Emily Joy - we are eligible for the Clarity card with Halifax, but we go next Friday and I'm worried 5 working days is cutting it fine to get both the card and pin! But if I'm going to have to use the current card anyway there doesn't seem to be much advantage of ordering currency on it now than withdrawing from an ATM over there, so I think we will just apply now and hope the Clarity card arrives on time! If not, we will withdraw cash in the States with the current credit card and at least we will have it for next time :)
    Thanks again for your help!

Once you are approved and get a confirmation email, give Halifax a call - they might be able to speed up the process. It might also help if you offer to go to a branch to pick it up. (They do have this option for customers who live in the areas where credit cards get stolen in the post often, but you might be able to charm them).

ATM fees in the US varies from bank to bank and from the state to state. It might be worth checking in advance.
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you go into a branch with your card and some form of ID then you can withdraw £300 or more over the counter in one go.

Daily withdrawal limit from a machine is either £300 or £500 depending on what brand and type of card it is and how long you've had it.

As it's going to be cash taken out on a credit card there will be interest added from the day you take it out - I have Halifax and they don't charge me a cash fee, just interest - only do this when I'm really stuck and the interst is usually no more than a few pennies and when I do take cash out I pay it back the same day.

Shame about the car causing all this and I understand the need to enjoy the holiday, but if you are going with family, why not get them all onside and spend a bit less for once - it will make them more appreciative of even having a holiday!
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 April 2018 at 9:19PM
    Options
    D_M_E wrote: »
    Shame about the car causing all this...
    With all due respect to the OP, I think the lack of a suitably sized emergency fund has caused this. £300 is less than a weeks pay for many people, let alone those who holiday twice a year, including to the US.
  • _Mrs_W_
    Options
    I appreciate what you're saying YorkshireBoy as we don't have an emergency fund, never have. But never needed to before. I've just never been one to save just for the sake of saving. I can happily save for a holiday, or a dress or a pair of shoes, but find it hard to save for nothing (even though I appreciate it's not for nothing, it's for something that might happen one day). We don't have children, we both work hard and travelling and experiences are important to us, so any spare money we do have tends to go straight on things for us to enjoy. We don't generally use credit but we know we have it available to us if there ever was an emergency, so saving has never really been a priority. I know that doesn't sound very sensible but everyone is different, and I just need something to motivate me if I'm saving!
  • maxximus75
    maxximus75 Posts: 555 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe a short term overdraft would be the easiest option? You can usually apply directly from your online banking and if approved...... the funds will be available immediately. That way you can withdraw the cash and purchase your currency.

Remember, overdrafts are for short term borrowing such as what you indicate paying it back in June so should cost much using it for a couple of months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure