IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PCN Wrong registration number entered on ticket machine

Options

Comments

• fadeinout
    fadeinout Posts: 116 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ive edited and expanded on point 10 to show this could and should have been dismissed at the appeal stage
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2018 at 7:42PM
    Options
    Ive tried finding some previous cases where payment was made but as of yet cant find any to quote
    There is ParkingEye Ltd v Heggie, among the case law hosted by the Parking Prankster.

Albeit you have to be careful, because that was in 2014, pre-Beavis/Supreme Court, and mentions ''no loss'' which is NOT what you should be saying, more steering it towards saying that the operator cannot punish a driver for a VRN mistake because there is no commercial justification, and in your case (even more compelling than in Heggie who ignored the PCN) the PPC knew over a year ago when you appealed, that the driver HAD paid. So the charge is unconscionable and completely distinguished from Beavis.

So that's one case.

There is also ParkingEye Ltd v Cargius (again pre-Supreme Court Beavis decision) and in that case the Judge considers the (already well known in 2014) Beavis case that had gone past the Court of Appeal stage by then, and he took time to distinguish a paid-for tariff car park from the free car park and complex 'free-licence-followed-by-charge' arrangement in Beavis, which he discounts as not relevant to a P&D case, in that transcript.

There is also this case involving VCS' sister company (both owned by Simon Renshaw-Smith) with a wrong VRN at a machine:

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.com/2017/07/excel-lose-in-court.html

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/meet-blessing-burgess-mum-three-13311154

''husband Daniel had put in the registration for their other car by mistake.''

Did they reduce the sum to £10 in your case too, if not then you could use that case as showing that the true loss must be a tenner, if Excel (VCS' stablemate) were happy to accept that sum when she appealed like you did... so add that to your point #10, it begs the question - why did this branch of Simon R-S' despicable parking firms NOT cancel it or settle for a tenner at appeal stage? How can they justify rejecting an appeal and suing over a case where they KNOW the driver paid, and they know that their owner SRS has lost on court over the same issue in the past.

Nothing to stop you filing a Parking Prankster Blog plus newspaper article, as one of your pieces of evidence. The Blessing Burgess case is on all fours with yours.

Is your local Court Manchester, if not, where? Manchester are generally clued up re PPC scams.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • fadeinout
    Options
    Thanks for your detailed response and for taking time to research these cases.

They never offered me at any stage a £10 settlement.

My local court is in North West Wales

I will look through the cases you suggest and add to the witness statement in addition to expanding on point 10.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My local court is in North West Wales
    The Cargius case was rooted in North West Wales - injured on Snowdon, late getting back to his car, ParkingEye tried to gouge his wallet - although I believe the case was heard in Wrexham (nearby?), so there may be some local knowledge among judges - if it gets that far.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • fadeinout
    edited 27 July 2018 at 11:50PM
    Options
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    The Cargius case was rooted in North West Wales - injured on Snowdon, late getting back to his car, ParkingEye tried to gouge his wallet - although I believe the case was heard in Wrexham (nearby?), so there may be some local knowledge among judges - if it gets that far.

Thank You for this. My case is being heard at ****** County Court. Wrexham is about an hours drive along the North Wales coast from here.
    As you say IF it gets that far there will hopefully be some local knowledge among the judges of rouge PPC claims
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    Count your blessings it's not being heard at Swansea. THE WORST JUDGES FOR PPC CASES.
  • fadeinout
    Options
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    Count your blessings it's not being heard at Swansea. THE WORST JUDGES FOR PPC CASES.

Youve been warned SWANSEA!!

Ive reworked the ws to include the cases you pointed out, is the way I refer to other cases ok?
    Think my exhibit references need tidying up, but that can be done at final draft.
    Ive referred to Beavis to show how my case is distinguishable. Am I helping myself in quoting that case?

1. The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. Where they are not within my own knowledge they are true to the best of my information and belief.

2. I am not liable to the Claimant for the sum claimed, or any amount at all and this is my Witness Statement in support of my defence as already filed.

3. I am the registered keeper of the vehicle in question in this case. I was not the driver.

4. Barrister and parking law expert Henry Greenslade was the ‘POPLA’ (‘Parking on Private Land Appeals’) Lead Adjudicator from 2012 – 2015. I adduce, as evidence, Mr Greenslade’s opinion in the POPLA Annual Report 2015 which confirms that there is no presumption in law that a keeper was the driver and that keepers do not have any legal obligation whatsoever, to name drivers to private parking companies. Exhibit A.

Exhibit B is Schedule 4 of the Protections of Freedoms Act 2012, to which Henry Greensdale refers to in his report.

5. The Defendant, as the keeper, is under no obligation to disclose the identity of the driver, and the onus is on the Claimant to prove their case.

6. It is submitted that the main reason that the Claimant is ‘unable to take steps to enforce’ the charges they allege apply, is due to their own choice not to use the POFA Schedule 4 prescribed wording in their Notice to Keeper letters. Had they done so, then they might have had cause to pursue me as registered keeper (subject to other evidence, such as adequate notice from signage). In the absence of such notices, there is no cause of action.

7. The vehicle in question in this case entered *** ********* *** ***** car park at **:** on ****** *** 201*.

8. At **:** a parking ticket was purchased. Exhibit C

9. During payment at the ticket machine, an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number was entered in error.

9.1 The Vehicle Registration Numbered entered in error was that of the 2nd family car. An easy mistake to make, a certainly not one that should take a year and half to defend.

10. All vehicles entering and leaving the car park have their Vehicle Registration Numbers captured by ANPR cameras, as the Notice to Keeper letter issued to me shows. Exhibit D

10.1 The vehicle, whose Vehicle Registration Number was entered in error, never entered the car park that day.

10.2 The claimant’s records, through use of these ANPR cameras, will prove this beyond any doubt. Yet they have chosen, unbelievably and somewhat suspiciously, not to do so.

10.3 Parking companies have the technology to refuse to accept incorrect number plates. Their ANPR systems know which plates are in the car park at any time. Charging people for entering the wrong number is therefore purely a money-making exercise and has nothing to do with car park management.

10.4 The Claimant will have had an entry on their system that charges were paid for a vehicle which was not present, and so could reasonable be said to be aware that the problem was likely to have been caused by an incorrect registration.

11. I wish to bring to attention of the court the case of Excel v Burgess. Stockport. 03/07/2017. Exhibits E and F

11.1 On discovering an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number had been entered at the ticket machine, the Claimant’s sister company, Excel, whose name is on the parking tickets issued at the car park in question in this case, reduced the parking charge to a ‘goodwill’ gesture of £10, after an appeal.

11.2 If the Claimant believed the true loss to be £10, why was I never offered, at any stage, the same settlement?

11.3 I wish to put on record I would have objected to this settlement as parking was paid for in full and the car exited the car park around an hour before the expiry of the paid for parking ticket. Exhibits C and D.

12. I put it to the court there is no commercial justification for Private Parking Companies issuing parking penalty charges for incorrect Vehicle Registration Number entry.

12.1 ParkingEye v Heggie. Sheffield. 13/12/2013. Ruled in favour of the defendant after he had entered his 2nd car’s Vehicle Registration Number in error. Exhibit G

12.2 In that case, the claimant was made aware of the circumstances only after court proceedings had commenced and argued they couldn’t halt proceedings.

12.3 In my case, I made the Claimant aware that the driver had paid in full for a ticket in the 21 days after the issue of their Parking Charge Notice, some 18 months ago.

12.4 Therefore, I put it to the court, that the charge imposed is unconscionable and is completely distinguished from ParkingEye v Beavis 04/11/2015

13. Despite informing the Claimant I was not the driver and of the sequence of events in this witness statement, during an appeal process to the International Parking Community (IPC), and pleas to check the claimant’s records to confirm payment was made with an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, it was to no avail.

14. Given the fact that the Claimant is an International Parking Community (IPC) Accredited Operator Scheme (AOS) member, it is not surprising the appeal was outright rejected because it is reported in the public domain that the IPC attracted AOS membership away from the rival ATA, by allegedly promising an 80% 'appeal win rate' in favour of operators. I have since discovered the conflict of interests behind the Trade Body and the so-called 'IAS' was exposed by MPs in the second reading of the Private Parking Code of Practice Bill, proposed legislation that has unanimous cross-party support in order to stamp out rogue 'tickets' such as this one.

15. The actions of the Claimant are predatory and opportunistic, which directly breaches the IPC Code of Practice, Part B 14.1. Exhibit H.

16. The Court is invited to dismiss this Claim, and to allow my costs which will be submitted separately.
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,322 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    9.1 The Vehicle Registration Numbered entered in error was that of the 2nd family car. An easy mistake to make, [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] and certainly not one that should take a year and half to defend.
    Just spotted this typo.
  • fadeinout
    Options
    Thanks Le_Kirk

Im going to add something along the lines of

As I was I was not the driver of the car, i did not enter into any contract with the claimant. A contract needs to be formed before any of its terms and conditions are breached, which is the basis of the claimants claim against me. Subsequently, the Notice to Keeper issued to me is not compliant with POFA

Have I understood the POFA compliance part correctly?
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    the Claimant's sister company, Excel, whose name is on the parking tickets issued at the car park in question in this case,
    Errrm, what? Are you saying the contract is with Excel, on the P&D ticket?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure