PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

November 2017 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• MissRikkiC
    MissRikkiC Posts: 1,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Iammumtoone

I hace a feeling it's just garlic, onion, courgette, bread and stock which sounds very plain but you sweat the onion and courgette for a while (longer than usual for cooking) and so it's really tasty. I find because of the bread it soaks up all of the stock eventually making it more gloopy than a soup and less liquid.

Sorry, I do have the book but I've packed it already (were moving this month) otherwise would have sent exact recipe!
    X
    Here i am again.... Older but not any wiser!

My Debt Free Diary - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6275380/pay-for-the-future-and-not-the-past#latest
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not a very good start, got to the shop and remembered I left my list at home :rotfl:I have got out of the habit of writing/taking a list. Remembered as much as I could but will need to top up during the week (something I was hoping to avoid)

Spent £37

Malt loaf cake made, I messed up :o I thought it looked a bit dry so added more liquid only to end up with a cake that is soggy Lesson learnt, follow the recipe and don't try to be clever.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,510 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I haven’t bought anything since Wednesday, so chuffed with myself.

I cooked a smoked Gammon in coke this week and that has been finely sliced, I’ll use it for Gammon, mash and salad today and sandwiches for the men this week - I also made some bacon and lentil soup for my own work lunches. Not bad out of £3’s worth of Gammon :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • chocoholic_chick
    Options
    Small spend of £3.69 on some milk, bread and deodorant.

Hoping to avoid shopping until later in the week now, my freezers are full so I really shouldn't need anything.

Total spends so far are £69.44
    New House... New Mortgage! February 2017: £144,000 :eek:
    Current Mortgage Balance: £96,440.99
    2017 OP's:£5,935 2018 OP's: £11,956.00 2019 OP's: £11,988 2020 OP's: £1,998
    Total Debt[STRIKE] £29,209[/STRIKE] £0 :j:j:j Debt free 6/8/16
  • armchairexpert
    Options
    Work pressures meant that I sent Mr E grocery shopping this week, which I hate doing because he spends so much more. He spent about $180, which is my 'big shop top up' number but this was a really cheap week and he didn't need meat or fish or coffee or anything! So with that and my Costco run I'm already at $417/950. The pantry is stocked, but we'll be mostly out of meat after this week, so I'm feeling really pessimistic.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2017 at 10:11PM
    Options
    Thought I had lost the receipt for my second shop of the month but found it stuck to a block of cheese in the fridge door :D Bought some F&V, chicken thighs, eggs, cheese, bread, yoghurt and some store cupboard stuff = £17.19 taking my total so far to £38.12.

I've noticed that I've started eating a lot of bread again, practically a loaf a week so I need to get a check on that, starting today.

My menu got a bit mucked up and re-arranged last week other things just took priority but I'm going to try and stick to this weeks plan just because there are a few things in the fridge that I want/need to use up probably for lunch and sides, main meals are all from freezer stock.

Breaded Fish, saut!ed potatoes, brussel sprouts
    Parsnip topped Veggie pie, cabbage
    Chicken pot pie, brussel sprouts & broad beans
    Beef Stew, mashed swede, cabbage
    Roasted Veg Pizza
    Stir fried Prawns, veg & rice
    Turkey Kebab, spicy tomato sauce & salad
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    £1 spent on bananas yesterday (if only you could get bananas delivered regularly like milk - I seem to need to buy them every few days).

Nothing more needed until Friday when I'll need to get a few bits in for MIL visiting for the weekend.

£28.36/£100
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    I've really lapsed posted but have been keeping reasonably within budget and meal planning is really helping with that.
    Budget for
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Grannymolly
    Options
    Blah I’m doing awful.

£9.95 in Lidl and got £30 cash out to use in Morrisons mid week.

Got all meals planned for this week so shouldn’t spend much more now....

£143.74 out of £300 ��
    Family of 4 and a cat, trying to reduce outgoings GC JAN £225.94/£250 GC FEB £93.20/£250
  • trifle-wist
    Options
    I'm so pleased I'm not the only one watching my money disappear this month! It's always better to commiserate together, right?!

My mistake was allowing my BF to come shopping with me this weekend. He saw Tilda rice 10kg on offer in Waitrose, so we bought one for just over £18... only to discover there was already a 5kg bag on top of the fridge! Doh! Ah well, it just means we shouldn't need to buy rice again until 2019. I'm able to laugh about it :-)

Total spend for week one is £77.19, so we're hugely over budget if we're to come in at £150 by 30 Nov. Tightening the purse strings from here on in!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure