PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• Hopeless_Case
    Options
    I recently made a apple and pear chutney. Haven't tried any yet as it's maturing but it smelt nice. A few years ago I made jars of pickled pears which were delicious with custard.
    I always include pears in a crumble so normally peel and dice them and freeze them for the winter.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks - could you use small unripe pears? The weeping pear pears are normally considered inedible as they stay hard and don't sweeten up or ripen really, but they might work in a chutney
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Had my LO curry, n bhaji from the other night with a little salad.Easy tea :D
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Wednesday made spaghetti Bol - one portion of meat sauce for freezer. Also used up last of potatoes, tomatoes, green peppers from freezer, mushroom juice from soaking dried porcini mushrooms & other odd bits to make a soup. Will blitz & freeze although may have a bowl for lunch with hm croutons.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    How about washing, chopping & freezing OR cooking & making soup to freeze.

MrsSD
    Trouble is freezers are quite full, thinking I may dehydrate some, freeze what I have to, forgot carrots and there`s still some beans growing.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you make soup it will keep in the fridge for lunches for a few days.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Wraithlady
    Options
    Thanks - could you use small unripe pears? The weeping pear pears are normally considered inedible as they stay hard and don't sweeten up or ripen really, but they might work in a chutney

Poaching pears is the traditional way of dealing with unripe pears, so would imagine that chutney would be ok. May be best to delay adding vinegar until a little later in the process, otherwise you may get hard lumps of pear (for the record, I have never tried this). Diana Henry has a recipe for pear jam if you're interested.
    2024 Fashion on the Ration - 10/66 coupons used
    Crafting 2024 - 1/9 items finished
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Looking at freezer stock I see a piece of beef skirt listed, from memory it`s quite a large piece, will defrost that for slow cooking tomorrow, with veggies from freezer, if I make a good amount could be a couple of days meals, any left overs could then be frozen for future meals.
    That will give me SOME freezer space hopefully. Some out, less in.??
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Not really that hungry tonight so I think I shall have some scrambled eggs and crackers with some yogurt and fruit to follow Sometimes you just need something simple and easy

JackieO xx
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm in a cba mood, so am just having a couple of Indian samosas.My God they're hot:eek:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,582 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Picked up some salmon YS and made teriyaki salmon with pak choi. It was lovely, even though I had to buy the pay choi. Made my own teriyaki sauce rather than using a bottle, cos I hadn't got one, LOL!

Denise
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure