PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,930 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've spent £5.63 in Sainsbugs but managed to get some really nice beef steaks reduced to £2 which will easily do the 4 of us for a lovely meal.
    Also bought strong white flour and yeast and made homemade pizza bases which I've never done before. (I'm quite proud of myself ;) and it was fun too!). Thank you to whoever it was on this thread who posted the recipe for this - I made a copy of it then but have only just got round to using it. It only cost about 54p for 8 pizza bases and I've frozen the 6 we didn't use :). Also made biscuits so a good day yesterday!!
    If it was the Jamie Oliver recipe - I posted it. My Son gets 8-10 bases out of the pizza mix - some smaller for the children.
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/351
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 77
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £312.42/£500
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Planning nsd today, going to a friends for lunch so taking some bits and bobs, for the kiddies. Still need to meal plan. Haven't found the time yet. Was still logged on to work network at 9pm last night, and my spare half hours yesterday were spent hoovering and trying to make space in the garage... Must do better...
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 June 2012 at 11:21AM
    Options
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Hello Aldahbra - could you make some chocolate crispies with the hoops? Or you could crush them to mix with melted butter to make a cheesecake base. HTH :)

Are these what you call chocolate crispies?
    7347808004_7de47965bd_n.jpg
    DSCF0800 by Aldahbra, on Flickr

If so I've made them and although they were OK we don't want anymore just yet.

The cheesecake is a good idea. Would you add biscuit to them to make a cheesecake base?

ladymay wrote: »
    Morning!
    But the supermarkets are so sneaky :eek: I wanted some mixed nuts, so I had to look in the fruit and veg section, the baking section AND the snacks section! They were cheapest in the snack section, which surprised me tbh. It taught me a lesson, and it made me think how many extra pennies they squeeze out of people...

Sneaky, I would have thought they would be the most expensive. That is a useful tip thanks.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • fozziebeartoo
    fozziebeartoo Posts: 1,582 Forumite
    Options
    No plans to go out today so hopefully today will be Junes
    5th NSD :j

The SC lamb tagine I cooked yesterday has a portion in the fridge for tea today and 3 in the freezer for some other time.

But.......

Fridge freezer is making funny noises :eek: and trying to replace that is something I really, really cant afford to do :mad: so feeling a bit panic stricken, but nothing I can do so fingers crossed it keeps stumbling along (just like me :rotfl:)!!

No idea what to do for other food today, maybe defrost some HM cherry or blueberry muffins for lunch time.

I need to sort out the freezer again as I was attacked by an avalanche of frozen HM meals when I opened it the other day.....was up to my ankles in frozen LO's ;) so I just stuffed them all back in any old how but now I have a mini avalanche everytime I look for something :D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Florenceem wrote: »
    If it was the Jamie Oliver recipe - I posted it. My Son gets 8-10 bases out of the pizza mix - some smaller for the children.

Is this recipe on the front page, I cant seem to find it and would like it for my niece
    Slimming World at target
  • Bikingbint
    Bikingbint Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Bikingbint - The secret of cutting bread is to saw and not to press the bread. The bread must not be squashed so lots of backward and forward movement and no downward movement.

Hi

I have made a loaf from a different recipe today (which I think is nicer) and it is cutting so much better, I think it was just that particular loaf/recipe and I hope I have now got the hang of it.:D

Regards

bikingbint (who will be the size of a stately home [already the size of a house] if I don't stop eating the bread I make).
  • m155piggy
    m155piggy Posts: 68 Forumite
    Options
    I had high hopes this month of getting myself together but it all went wrong on June 1st - I did a big shop coming in at £73 _ I tried to justify it by thinking that we would be away for the long weekend but I still feel rubbish about it.

Anyway Sat, Sun & Mon were NSD's as I had baked enough and used the freezer to prepare party food for the street party so no extras were needed. Tuesday I bought a loaf mof bread and a newspaper so pretty good really.
    Weds we got home and I went to the shops for milk, fruit etc and spent £11 so I was still pretty pleased.
    Another weekend away this weekend so I need to nip to the shops tomorrow to get some basic supplies and a bottle or two of wine but all main meals are accounted for in the freezer so we will have paella, spag bol and a salad with HM quiche etc.

Hoping I can pull it back for the rest of the month - have quite a high budget for my first try anyway so fingers crossed.
    May GC 433.32/ 350 :eek: Apr GC 263.43 /300
    Mar GC 346.43 /350 Feb GC 248.01/300
    Jan GC 249.47/400
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Aldahbra wrote: »
    The cheesecake is a good idea. Would you add biscuit to them to make a cheesecake base?

I would whizz them in the food processor with some digestives for your base.

Rocky roads?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • jennypennysaver
    Options
    Hi everyone

Got an hour or two to myself so going to check out some recipes for next week's meals. Also got my eye on a couple of breadmakers on fleabay so I'll see where that's up to. Am constantly speechless at how much bread we go through (got 3 growing kids) and rely on the whoops bargains.

Just me and OH tonight so we are eating a whoops bargain out of the freezer.
    June 2015 Grocery Challenge [/B]£126.38/£360 :eek:
    "Sealed Pot Challenge" ~ 8 (2015) - No 480 £12.60 :A
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Options
    Having a baking day today:
    Millies cookies
    Almond cakes
    Banana and Lemon drizzle cake
    Flapjacks
    Twinks hobnobs
    Shortbread.

That should easily keep everyone going for a week or so!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure