MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    Hi matelodave

We absolutely want all our users to do a full comparison – the general prices mentioned are based on typical users to give people a rough indication but then you need to enter your address and usage on Cheap Energy Club to be able to get exact prices. You'll then get a full market comparison

We don’t really agree with the TCR either but Ofgem rules say comparison sites have to show it. It’s a bit of pointless figure when you have a personalised comparison right next to it!

And an excellent idea on teaching kids to read energy bills – they are a struggle to understand even for adults.
  • canterswest
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi matelodave

We absolutely want all our users to do a full comparison – the general prices mentioned are based on typical users to give people a rough indication but then you need to enter your address and usage on Cheap Energy Club to be able to get exact prices. You'll then get a full market comparison

We don’t really agree with the TCR either but Ofgem rules say comparison sites have to show it. It’s a bit of pointless figure when you have a personalised comparison right next to it!

And an excellent idea on teaching kids to read energy bills – they are a struggle to understand even for adults.

Such an easy comment to make, and probably makes you feel good saying it, and others think well of you.

Just make bills easier to read and intermediaries out of the classroom
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    What disgraceful behaviour - started filling it in but then discovered not only postcode but address, name, email, everything required - no comparison or details of the deal available.

If the tariffs are such brilliant deals why is MSE shoddily not showing them?

Agreed. The CEC uses MoneySuperMarket.com for it's data for comparison purposes, and MoneySuperMarket.com also asks for similar personal information. :mad:

It was complained about when the CEC started, and despite MSE looking into it, they said it was vital for such personal information to be provided (all they need imho is the supply region ... and an email address if you want to be contacted)

Anyway, that is why I never signed up to the CEC before.

Now I have done just to find out what the special MSE traiffs really are like (I have a feeling that is what this game is all about really, numbers signing up, the more the merrier ... and the closer it gets to that outstanding £30m still to be paid to Martin for the sale of this site)

Do what I did. Use made up info. :rotfl:

It has to be a genuine postcode, and then you have to choose a genuine address from the dropdown list. Choose a pub or a day care centre etc. It's not nice, but better than giving away your personal info.

Name - make that up

Email address - make that up too ... but remember it as it becomes your login id (you don't ever need to be able to read any emails the CEC sends you)

password - make it up & remember it (again used later to login)

Once you've set the account up & login you will be able to see the details of all the tariffs for your region.

You can then change the region, by changing your address/postcode. You can also change all the other info too like current supplier, tariff, consumption, etc.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    Could the rates vary in different areas of UK?

For instance mine in the Midlands on that tariff is 3.476p per kWh

Different areas have always had different tariffs .
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 October 2014 at 3:03PM
    Options

Correct

It appears Eon is one of those suppliers that now charges different prices for gas for different regions.

So comparing it to the special MSE tariff for the Midlands at 3.496p per kWh, the Eon Fixed V12 is still cheaper (but only marginally and the possible £5 discount for online servicing of the special MSE tariff may swing it the other way except for large users in that region)
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    MSE needs these details because prices vary apparently depending on your region and your usage. A price is not accurate unless it is your personal price. I don't know if this is still the case since Ofgem changed the numbers of tariffs that suppliers can charge.
    Of course. But all they need is my postcode and my likely usage.

I am not talking about the Cheap Energy Club continuing email alert service - just the one specific offer this thread is advertorialising.
  • lrh
    lrh Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options

I went and got an EON fixed 1 year quote for the same energy consumption for three different addresses - Lancs, Bucks and Scotland.

Three different prices per kwh gas, and per kwh electricity.

So yes, it varies from place to place.
  • moneyfoolish
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi matelodave

I'd still like to know why the MSE site is showing my current yearly cost to be £140 higher than the other comparison sites with exactly the same information being input. All the comparison sites have my annual consumption plus my postcode.
  • Nada666
    Nada666 Posts: 5,004 Forumite
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Agreed. The CEC uses MoneySuperMarket.com for it's data for comparison purposes, and MoneySuperMarket.com also asks for similar personal information. :mad:
    Careful, now. Martin'll start screaming at you about defamation of character. Completely independent, don't you know. Except, apparently, the bits that aren't.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 October 2014 at 3:28PM
    Options
    I'd still like to know why the MSE site is showing my current yearly cost to be £140 higher than the other comparison sites with exactly the same information being input. All the comparison sites have my annual consumption plus my postcode.

If you tell me your supply region (or first half of your postcode - I don't even need it all), the current supplier & tariff you are on, and the annual consumption figures you are looking to compare, I will take a look for you if you want :)

e.g. is it anything to do with your current tariff coming to an end within 12 months, and so the CEC assumes you will then be on the supplier's expensive standard tariff?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure