MSE News: MoneySavingExpert.com launches the 10 day big winter switch event

Options

Comments

• lrh
    lrh Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Just looked at the price of gas and compared it to E.on existing offering (this was based on Eastern region ... not sure if it varies by region) ... I'm not currently with Eon, just comparing for interest.

Eon MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online | Fixed for 12 months
    Unit rate 3.496p per kWh
    Standing charge 21.903p per day

Eon Fixed 1 Year v12
    Unit rate 3.392p per kWh
    Standing charge 21.903p per day

Eon site today quotes
    E.ON Fixed 1 year v12
    Unit rate 3.528 not 3.392
  • MSE_Dan_L
    MSE_Dan_L Posts: 655 MSE Staff
    Options
    Hi Scofra

We've picked up your email via the Energy Club help form and our technical team are currently looking into the details of your application to understand what is causing the glitch in updating your Energy Club account.

However, I'd like to reassure you about the privacy of informaton submitted on the application page. This page is protected by VeriSign the latest in Internet security standards, to ensure that any data you send to us online is secure.

As soon a I hear back from our technical team, I'll ensure that we reply to your email.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Nada666 wrote: »
    What disgraceful behaviour - started filling it in but then discovered not only postcode but address, name, email, everything required - no comparison or details of the deal available.

If the tariffs are such brilliant deals why is MSE shoddily not showing them?

I couldn't agree more!

I do not want to give my full personal details in order to get a quote - why will my postcode not suffice?
  • canterswest
    canterswest Posts: 364 Forumite
    edited 29 October 2014 at 2:08PM
    Options
    What disgraceful behaviour - started filling it in but then discovered not only postcode but address, name, email, everything required - no comparison or details of the deal available.

MSE needs these details because prices vary apparently depending on your region and your usage. A price is not accurate unless it is your personal price. I don't know if this is still the case since Ofgem changed the numbers of tariffs that suppliers can charge.

An easy way to delete your registration would work for those who want a quote but not to sign up for Cheap Energy Club.

Richard Lloyd, Which? is on Radio 4 with Paul Lewis this afternoon.

I hope he is asked why Which charged consumers £40 for its collective switch and MSE is doing it with a profit it hopes charging consumers £11

Is Which? so called consumer champion rubbish at consumer offers, just good at talking about them on the radio!
  • MSE_Dan_L
    Options

Hi Nada666

We need your full address details so that we can provide you with accurate results (as Energy prices vary according to your supply region).

Cheap Energy Club works a little differently from other comparison sites, as not only do we provide details of all tariffs available on the market, but we'll also monitor your costs in the background (as new tariffs are launching all the time). Then if we find a cheaper tariff (you can select an appropriate saving amount e.g. £50), we'll send you an email alert.

Once you've provided these details you'll be able to see personalised results based on your current tariff and usage.

I hope that explanation helps.
  • Cardew
    edited 29 October 2014 at 2:11PM
    Options
    lrh wrote: »
    Eon site today quotes
    E.ON Fixed 1 year v12
    Unit rate 3.528 not 3.392

Could the rates vary in different areas of UK?

For instance mine in the Midlands on that tariff is 3.476p per kWh
  • lrh
    lrh Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    I am already on an EON 1 year fix which ends in a few weeks.
    Will the EON MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online be available to existing EON customers, or will E.ON reject it?
  • MSE_Dan_L
    Options
    lrh wrote: »
    Will the EON MSE Fixed 1 Year Collective Switch Online be available to existing EON customers, or will E.ON reject it?

The tariff is available to existing Eon customers - plus you'll also be eligible for the cashback (£15 per fuel)
  • Cardew
    Options
    MSE_Dan_L wrote: »
    Hi Nada666

We need your full address details so that we can provide you with accurate results (as Energy prices vary according to your supply region).

Cheap Energy Club works a little differently from other comparison sites, as not only do we provide details of all tariffs available on the market, but we'll also monitor your costs in the background (as new tariffs are launching all the time). Then if we find a cheaper tariff (you can select an appropriate saving amount e.g. £50), we'll send you an email alert.

Once you've provided these details you'll be able to see personalised results based on your current tariff and usage.

I hope that explanation helps.

So why not just postcode and email address?

Also why not make the 'alert' optional?
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 October 2014 at 5:04PM
    Options
    Haven't looked at in detail, but the winter switch does show as the cheapest tariff for me by about £7pa (North West region gas and electricity). Exit fee is £10 ( 2 x £5).

The next best interestingly is also an EON fixed 1 year tariff with a £10 exit fee (v12). The gas is slightly cheaper on the v12 than the winter switch (unit rate of 3.434p vs 3.496p with same standing charge) but that is outweighed by the electricity being more expensive on the v12 (unit rate of 12.096p vs 11.792p both with same standing charge). The difference is only £2pa but there is a £5 on-line discount for the winter tariff, that doesn't apply for the v12 which swings it into being in my case £7pa cheaper for the EON winter switch vs the EON v12.

The winter switch tariff, as does the v12, also seems to qualify for the warm home discount scheme (for those meeting the criteria).

Not quite sure what the comments about disgraceful behaviour are all about. There doesn't seem to be any excessive data gathering going on here.

If you don't want emails of when other tariffs are cheaper surely you can just change the settings to 'only alert me when there is a tariff £250 cheaper'?
    I came, I saw, I melted
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport