PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    K9sandFelines - Some ready made curry mixes for example will contain wheat, I think they add it to prevent clumping of the mix but not sure. I remember Natco curry powder has an allergy advice saying contains mustard and cereals (wheat). Not sure how when I look at the ingredients but that is the problem with cross contamination of wheat/gluten.

As JingsMyBucket said it's an online box scheme. They deliver once a week, on a specific day for your area, to your door. There is a minimum spend and a delivery charge. However they are very good for certain items that are difficult or impossible to find else where. They have gluten free vegan sausages for example, difficult to find and are a nice rare treat. Though it looks like they don't have the dragonfly ones I bought before they have a new brand (bonsan) I haven't tried yet.

Spent £6.89 today.

454g strawberries, 410g brambly apple, 500g red grapes, 6 FF chocolate orange bars and a meat feast pizza.

Fajitas mix on a baked potato for my dinner.
    OH will be having pizza for dinner.

£171.84/£200.
    £28.16 left.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • hedgesparrow
    Options
    Went on a yellow sticker hunt last night and did really well but we went over the budget.

Spent £10.44 and got the following:
    • Loaf of nice bread
    • Two small bottles of fresh orange juice
    • A small cherry and pistachio tart
    • A pack of mortadella
    • Kippers
    • Two whole seabass
    • Three British chicken thighs and four chicken legs in a stew pack
    • Tiger baguette
    • Milk
    • Two lovely pieces of haddock
    • 175g of liver sausage

But we have some spare money in the fuel budget so I’m going to move that. When we got home I portioned everything and froze it. We only eat meat once a week and fish once a week so it will last us a while. I don’t regret it. Off to update my signature.
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • hedgesparrow
    Options
    Been catching up on all the posts. Can any of the lovely vegans or vegetarians advise me as to veggie mince? We are not veggie but don’t eat much meat. I remember TVP in the 1990s was popular, can you still buy that? And where? I can’t eat quorn, I have some sort of violent intolerance (and to some wild mushroom species too so I think it is because it is mushroom based). I love lentils but the texture isn’t the same in a cottage pie and I always end up wishing I’d just made dal instead. We love dal but we eat it once a week as it is!
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 24 October 2018 at 1:01AM
    Options
    65p spent last night at work.

I am raging right now :mad:Sorry if this is a little off topic, but it's connected with my grocery spends ...

Went to track my AF order as it was being dispatched today and was receiving emails as such, only to find it had been delivered and during a time slot that had already passed. I'm thinking that's very odd, so zoom in on the DHL Google Earth map to see it has been signed for by someone in my name ( spelt incorrectly) at my old address :mad:. I logged onto Af to see for some reason despite all my previous orders going to my current address and being billed at my current address, this one has been dispatched to my old address but billed at my current address. There is no option to change it on my account, where it indeed shows my current address visible. i had no idea at the time of the order that this had happened as i was on my tablet and phone, so assumed that everything had gone through as it should, and if you check the email it gives no confirmation of the order address which means you have to log back into your account to check.

I have raised a ticket and left an answer message with AF, but don't know if i will be deemed to be in the wrong here.
    I also attempted to knock on my old address and there is no answer. I suffer from anxiety, and all this has nearly flipped me over today. Aswell, as having to be in work in an hour!

£31.64 my order was for, and mostly a whole order of food to try out because of current wheat intolerance issues. I could cry :(
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £118.89 April £
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Been catching up on all the posts. Can any of the lovely vegans or vegetarians advise me as to veggie mince? We are not veggie but don’t eat much meat. I remember TVP in the 1990s was popular, can you still buy that? And where? I can’t eat quorn, I have some sort of violent intolerance (and to some wild mushroom species too so I think it is because it is mushroom based). I love lentils but the texture isn’t the same in a cottage pie and I always end up wishing I’d just made dal instead. We love dal but we eat it once a week as it is!

Tesco do a good veggie mince hun.Weirdly enough I also get really sick from quorn :(
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • hedgesparrow
    Options

I have raised a ticked and left an answer message with AF, but don't know if i will be deemed to be in the wrong here.
    I also attempted to knock on my old address and there is no answer.

I could cry :(

I really hope you get it sorted K9sandFelines. How mean of them to sign for it. :(
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's awful, K9sandFelines; I hope AF can sort it out quickly so that you don't end up out of pocket or without your special food.

I'm now "over" on my pet & livestock budget for the year, and will need to spend at least another £60 before the year's end. But that does give me a much better idea how much they're currently costing us than I had previously; to be fair the amount the kittens eat is falling back now, and they're all on adult food so hopefully it won't be quite as far "over" next year.
    Angie - GC April 24 £532.07/£480 - oops: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • selloptape
    Options
    Oh no K9s that's a shame about your order, and so rubbish of the person to sign for it in your name! Hope is sorted soon.

An NSD for me yesterday, and only £2.14 today (some off menu plan drinks for my teenager and some YS pastries for pud today).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Can any of the lovely vegans or vegetarians advise me as to veggie mince? We are not veggie but don’t eat much meat. I remember TVP in the 1990s was popular, can you still buy that?
    Tesco, Asda and Morrisons do their own versions, I mostly buy Morrisons, they are in the freezer section called vegetarian mince. They all taste moreorless the same and are suitable for Vegans. You can still buy TVP. I've never been able to make it taste nice.

K9s Hope your package turns up. It's not your fault if they didn't deliver it to the address stated on the order. I'm sure they will sort it for you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure