Help With Student Loans - HERE!

Options

Comments

• Racheya
    Options
    I had problems getting the Maintenance Grant so I had to re-do the application for it about 3 weeks back. It's not sorted yet, but when should I start pestering them by ringing them up? Is there any deadline where they won't pay the maintenance grant backdated? I presume the end of the semester in the long term. I can manage without the money, since I got the loan, but I'd much like to have both.
  • Mike1901
    Options
    I'd give them another 2-3 weeks Racheya :)

Question of my own:

I've received a letter from the university I attend saying that I owe them £65 in tuition fees. Turns out that I'm a numpty and didnt add the extra the unis can charge this year (£3290 from £3225) on to the form when I reapplied (Im in my second year)

Is there any way I can retrospectively get the £65 extra added to my tuition fee loan, or will I have to pay it upfront? And if I can get it added on, is it the uni or SFE I need to contact? :)
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I filled out my application for student finance for this year, but failed a module so am now studying part time. I rang the up and told them but I have just received my loan. As i'm studying part time I not entitled to full loan. What should I do.
    Come on you Irons
  • Renya
    Renya Posts: 704 Forumite
    Options
    Mike1901 wrote: »
    I'd give them another 2-3 weeks Racheya :)

Question of my own:

I've received a letter from the university I attend saying that I owe them £65 in tuition fees. Turns out that I'm a numpty and didnt add the extra the unis can charge this year (£3290 from £3225) on to the form when I reapplied (Im in my second year)

Is there any way I can retrospectively get the £65 extra added to my tuition fee loan, or will I have to pay it upfront? And if I can get it added on, is it the uni or SFE I need to contact? :)

I had a similar problem, my uni said at the open day it was charging £2900 but then raised it to the maximum, all I did was fill in the Tuition Fee request form, (Found here) Wrote a covering letter and included proof that they were charging more. But when I came to register for my course I had to pay at least half to register, don't know if it's the same for every uni but now I'm in the process of getting the money back.
    [STRIKE]Seventeen[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Eighteen[/STRIKE] Nineteen(!) year old student - dim at the best of times
  • pokerpad
    pokerpad Posts: 167 Forumite
    Options
    Hi slcworker, can you please check my thread:
    Student loan not been paid (teacher training)

Thank you so much.
  • caz07
    caz07 Posts: 141 Forumite
    Options
    hi slc worker, im wondering if you can help cos my daughter is still waiting on her money from student finance, but her NI number is still been checked for her loan and tuition but is she able to get her grant without any of this? they said there also waiting on her attendance aswell even though she's been there for 2 weeks now and a girl on her course has already got her money, but how can she if there still waiting on her attendance from the uni? its very confusing :S:S:S

please can you help!

thanks in advance

Caz
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Zinger549 wrote: »
    I filled out my application for student finance for this year, but failed a module so am now studying part time. I rang the up and told them but I have just received my loan. As i'm studying part time I not entitled to full loan. What should I do.

If you're part time on a full time course, as you would be, and in attendance, then you're entitled to the full loan, not a reduced amount. Dunno who told you that.
  • hamsterfan1
    hamsterfan1 Posts: 8,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my son has only just has hid 1st part & is still waiting for the means testing bit to be done
    proud gran to 4 lovely boys and one little girl
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,309 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Taiko wrote: »
    If you're part time on a full time course, as you would be, and in attendance, then you're entitled to the full loan, not a reduced amount. Dunno who told you that.
    I only doing one module this year, the one I failed last year. The person from uni said that I would no be entitled.
    Come on you Irons
  • Queenieviolet
    Options
    I completed a 4 year teaching degree about 17 years ago. I am now back at uni doing a nursing degree course and loving it! I have got an NHS bursary and help with my childcare. I applied for a maintenance loan from student finance but have just received a letter stating that I'm entitled to £0.

I thought nursing courses were exempt from the 'second degree' restrictions on funding although I knew I could only get a reduced rate maintenance loan. Can anybody shed any light?
    Thanks
    1% challenge - £4018 - reduce by 100 payments of £41.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback