Using HTB ISA to pay off debts

Options
Hi all,

I understand that it's usually good practice to clear your debts, before you start saving. But i'm coming here to ask for advice and opinions regarding whether or not it's a good idea to pay off my credit card balance with savings from a help to buy ISA.

My current debts are:
£200 - Credit card
£600 - Loan from sister
£1,500 - Interest and fee free Overdraft

But I currently have about £4,400 on my HTB. I have maxed it out by standing order every month since opening the account in December 2017.

I know I can use 0% interest credit cards etc but i'm honestly not interested in opening another account / obtaining another credit card and just eager to get out of debt as soon as possible as this will give me some peace of mind. I have agreed to pay back my sister in full at the end of this month.

My after tax income is around £1,750, but I need about £950 for rent and bills. I'll also set aside £100 for things like groceries and transport etc.

This brings me back to my main question, should I withdraw £200-£400 from my ISA to pay off my credit card and the loan from my sister. This will mean that I don't put any cash into the ISA this month.

Alternatively, I could leave the ISA alone, don't put anything in this month but will have to wait till May payday to finally clear off the credit card.

Are there any other options I haven't thought about?

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why don't you swap your payments around.

Put your CC payment into your ISA this month and pay the CC off in full with your £200 ISA payment. That way you are not missing a month on the ISA but still paying off your debt.

Are you giving your sister anything each month at the moment?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • wjr4
    wjr4 Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You're left with around £700 after bills, transport etc so I wouldn't recommend withdrawing from your ISA. I'd concentrate on repaying your sister if she needs the money urgently. If not, repay the credit card and close it ASAP, then repay your sister, then concentrate on the overdraft. You'll be debt-free and also have more in your ISA when you want to buy a property - good luck!
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and should not be seen as financial advice.
  • bytheseas
    bytheseas Posts: 51 Forumite
    Options
    Don't withdraw from the ISA. You can only do that one big payment once you setup the account. If you eat into that you're then limited by the monthly payments only to get the figure up.

You can also only ever have 1 help to buy ISA so you can't withdraw that and think oh I can setup another and do the big deposit again.
    Mortgage: £60,744.22 Student Loans:£16,726.59
    Joining Debt (08/04/2018) : £90,283.01 Current Debt: £77,470.81

Goal: Debt free by 2033
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can withdraw from a HTB ISA if you need it. But don't forget you'll get a 25% bonus from your savings when you use it for a house purchase. So using it to pay off your small amounts of debt doesn't make sense. Just have some frugal months and pay them off over the next few months. You'll get more money eventually.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure