Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Options

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    targaid wrote: »
    Indeed they can but the question I'm asking is if they can clearly state 'free returns' then charge for them? Surely there must be some legislation preventing that?

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=celex%3A32011L0083

Pay particular attention to article 6 s1(i) and article 8 s7.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Hi,
    I recently ordered some bridesmaid dresses online - they were described on the website as 'mauve' and appeared when I filtered the dresses available by the colour purple. However, when they arrived they were quite clearly pink and the packaging was even labelled 'pink dress'. I returned them and have been refunded for the cost of the dresses, but not for the original postage. Because this was a case of 'items not as described' do I stand a chance of getting the postage back? Or do I just suck up that loss?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes if its a UK firm  ( many are non Uk )
  • Adele_Blake
    Options
    I have recently purchased an item online and wish to return it.  Nice and straight forward under the Consumer Rights Act.  The company I purchased the item from are saying that I have agreed to buy the item from them under their Business to Business Terms and Conditions which basically means that the consumer goods act does not apply to me.  I have not set up as a sole trader just yet as I am currently going through my training and I am purchasing the items required to do this at the same time. I did however tick the trader box on the website as I am going to shortly be a sole trader.  Does this mean however that consumer rights are not applicable to businesses and that you have not legal right to return online goods?  Every time I Google it just comes up with the Consumer Rights Act!  
    Does anyone know the answer? 

• Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options
    I have recently purchased an item online and wish to return it.  Nice and straight forward under the Consumer Rights Act.  The company I purchased the item from are saying that I have agreed to buy the item from them under their Business to Business Terms and Conditions which basically means that the consumer goods act does not apply to me.  I have not set up as a sole trader just yet as I am currently going through my training and I am purchasing the items required to do this at the same time. I did however tick the trader box on the website as I am going to shortly be a sole trader.  Does this mean however that consumer rights are not applicable to businesses and that you have not legal right to return online goods?  Every time I Google it just comes up with the Consumer Rights Act!  
    Does anyone know the answer? 

They are correct, you bought it with the intention of using it as a business (it doesn't matter that you are not yet set up, most businesses start buying goods in preparation of starting to trade). B2B sales have no automatic cancellation rights and it's all down to the contract you agreed to when purchasing.
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK, so I have some consumer rights if I buy online.
    Are those rights altered if I go and collect the items myself?
    Basically is it better to order online and collect than go into the store and purchase?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 11 March 2020 at 12:35AM
    Options
    mttylad said:

Basically is it better to order online and collect than go into the store and purchase?
    It's basically the same as going into a store and purchasing. 

The only difference is simply that a member of staff will have put the items in a trolley for you. 

Distance selling is exactly that.The items are delivered to your home sight unseen and so you have additional rights with regard rejection. 

Ordering online and then collecting in-store is hardly distance selling because you can easily inspect the items as you collect them. 

So quite obviously no additional  consumer protection...
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    Options
    mttylad said:
    OK, so I have some consumer rights if I buy online.
    Are those rights altered if I go and collect the items myself?
    If you order and pay online but collect from the shop then you have more cancellation rights than if you order online but pay in store. You have consumer rights for every purchase you make as a consumer but those rights can vary depending on how it is ordered and paid for and even what the item is.
  • idj4
    idj4 Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi All.
    I recently bought an item from Amazon that was finalized as 'Tracked & Signed for'. The courier was Hermes. I received an email from Hermes stating this. I've not received or signed for anything. When I clicked on the email link to 'view signature', all it shows for the signature is my first name. I have spoken to Amazon numerous times, and asked for a replacement. I don't want a refund because I want the item, but all they keep saying is .."The goods/item are tracked to have been delivered, so, if you think the item has been stolen, then you need to contact your local police station. When you have a crime number then please get back to us."
    Where do I stand with this? The local police are hardly going to be interested with a missing Amazon item.
    Thank You.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    As Amazon say if its been stolen .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts