First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Can I join in please.:)
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • lcc86
    lcc86 Posts: 2,339 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Count me in please! Need to be especially good in November and December as I'm moving jobs and there may be a bit of a delay on getting paid so I need people to help keep me on track!
    Save £3,000 emergency fund #79 - £1,796 as of 04/24
  • shabbychic12
    Options
    Back like a bad penny for November please xx
    Count down to retirement 2023
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Everyone up to here has been given a number. Please check (post #2)and let me know if I've missed you out.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • GlendaSugarbean
    Options
    Count me in please! Love this month's challenges - they will push me out of my comfort zone but that's all good :)
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    NSDs- Aiming for 20

ORGANISE your time.Bath / Books are my downtime. I write lists.

VALUES- coming to the end of my self imposed challenge of overpaying my mortgage, sub £100k by 2019,I don’t have a bucket list, I have a jobs to be done in the house list. The kids will have a holiday next year. I am quite adamant about this one. Probably last minute though.

ENJOY yourself. I have such a problem with this one. I am in disguise all the time. I have imposter syndrome. I am pretending to be a fully functioning stay at home supermum. Just your regular neighbourhood psychopath, hating what she is doing, but nobody knows!! I would like to get a job, but would not be able to live with the guilt of leaving my kids while 2 are still in primary school. Sept 2019 there will be only one, I was a latchkey kid to a very young mother who sent us to a grandparent at every opportunity, 2 kids under 6, alone by plane. As soon as school ended 7pm flight. Every single holiday. They were not parents. They were not there. They are no longer in my life. I overcompensate with my kids. I recognise this.

MAKE an inventory of the food in your cupboards, Plan your meals around what you have, make your shopping list up from the ingredients you need to go with them. Got the T Shirt

BUDGETS Reduce last month's budget by 5%. - oooh! Will give it a go. Budget is usually £100 a week but there is often excess every week,bso I will work on £90 a week this month. Make provision for a donation (money or goods) to your local food bank/ other charity of your choice.! -Done by DD every month on the 1st Orangutan SOS. Animal Aid, and 10% of 2x mobile bills goes to charity ( Wateraid and Maleria charity (mosquito nets)).

EXERCISE4 times a week, 20 minutes a day.

RULES

IN case of emergency!Add any items you might need (torch, shovel for snow, old carpet for traction, extra coat or blanket) to your car boot. I have scrapers, screenwash, deicer.
    Stocked up with cough sweets, antiseptic lozenges, ‘girly’ lemon flavoured paracetamol based drink sachets (nothing to do with Flu or Max – 10 for £1 from £land), paracetamol, ibruprofen, kiddie paracetamol, cough mixture.

NOW is always the right time to start.
    NO takeaways, coffee shops, gelato, unless for a special event. Take your own food and drinks on days out where possible.

Everyone should know their debt free date - only debt is mortgage, they reckon 19 and 1/2 years, I could do it in 10 if I have no fun. Sooner if DH got onboard (more like 6 years), but not holding breath on that one. He has started an EF so I cannot complain. !EXTRA!income ideas – surveys and postal surveys and competitions.

WINTER proof your home - throws on sofas, small heater in living room, so I don’t put heating on in the daytime when only me at home, blanket on end of beds, hot water bottles ready in drawer under sink, gloves ,scarves and hats ready, thermals on standby, tights not yet deployed. Candles are a source of heat and light and happiness (most were birthday presents or ys bargains)

YOU should cook from scratch when you can – all except the odd bit of pastry if YS

OUTSIDE It may be cold but wrap up warm – does freezing my a$$ off on the playground twice a day count? Brrrr. Will try and walk about a bit. Fancy a trip to the Victorian graveyard up the road. Might get my cloak out.

REPORT- will do

KINDNESS- will try and disseminate my profound wisdom and experience. While encouraging people to give up on consumerism and all that nonsense.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    NSDs Will monitor - but plan on trying to sort Xmas as much as poss in Nov

ORGANISE your time. Appointments are on calendar. No paid work in Nov (may have a couple of hours to do a risk assessment visit towards month end) so plan on organising Xmas and the house & garden as much as poss this month (I need some of f0xh0les' diy skills and determination!) I have lists a-plenty....

VALUES Our big 'want' is a big family holiday to Florida in Summer 2020, so focus will be this come January. Am hoping that such a target will focus others (OH...) away from minor wants/ treats and more on needs so that we can save for Florida

ENJOY yourself.

MAKE an inventory of the food in your cupboards, fridge and freezer at the start of the month. Yep. Am still using up random items (protein powder + frozen banana + ground linseed + splash of milk makes acceptable breakfast pancakes) There are 2 items (sardines and mulligatawny soup) which OH purchased and remain uneaten (and won't get eaten by anyone else) - will remind him about them and see if he still wants them or they can go to foodbank. Freezer has lots of HG fruits & veggies - need to use some up. Lacking in meat & fish in there at the mo..... Have excess wine to donate to the schools when Xmas fair requests come in....

BUDGETS I am still unsure what budgets are at the mo, following 2 going to uni and then a week's holibobs last month. Will monitor spends

EXERCISE 4 times a week, 20 minutes a day.

RULES

IN case of emergency I need to put details of my breakdown cover in car! (changed provider) Car was serviced in Sept, so hopefully ok. De-icer is stocked up and am hoping 02 moments have another (usual) freebie of more deicer coming up - 4 of us on 02 so will get more if they do! :D Have a blanket and wind up torch in car boot (and warning triangle) but could put another blanket in.
    Have good supply of paracetamol, ibuprofen and flu meds (all cheapies) Need more calp0l - will put on shopping list

NOW is always the right time to start.

NO takeaways etc - Likely to have a takeaway when DS1 comes home from uni for w/end but will come from social budget

EVERYONE should know their debt free date. Only debt is BTL mtge which we are reducing. -However, we will not be focusing on this as much for next months whilst we save for big holiday. Have sto to savings ac and DD to ISA. Will list some bits on fb00k/ flebay and try and get some extra £

WINTER proof your home,- need to book a heating chap to re-hang kitchen radiator (weighs about 30KG and OH ahs a frozen shoulder) and also a boiler service. OH needs to rehang rear lounge curtains (over large patio doors - major heat loss) - but having problems getting fixings to stay in stupid hollow walls (have used hollow wall fixings before and they have subsequently pulled out) Need to check togs of duvets on smaller ones beds when next changed (they also have fleecey blankets in their beds, so are not cold yet) We still have summer (4.5) on ours but bloomin' menopause means I am stupidly hot at night most of the time :mad: :p Have one fleecey blanket in lounge - could do with another, I suppose. Wheat bags are in kitchen and DS2 has a hot water bottle at the ready in a cover with his cuddly toys (DS3 doesn't like them)

YOU should cook from scratch when you can- usually do, other than fishfingers for the smalls.

OUTSIDE School runs.... and also have plans to tidy some bits of the garden this month before frosts come in too much

REPORT regularly

KINDNESS costs nothing.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • leimichellecat
    Options
    Can I join please?

I was doing well with other challenges at the start of the year, however things all went to pot when my OH fell ill and we never quite recovered. Debt continued to be paid off at a good rate, but frivolous spending and poor meal planning were our down fall! OH is fit and well now, so need to get back on the money saving wagon!
    Taking on the world one debt at a time!!!

Buy my car outright £0/£3300
    Buy a caravan £0/£7500
    Replace house windows £0/£5000
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    NSD Will aim for 20.
    Organise your time – Will be planning what needs to done each day. Putting things already planned in diary.
    Value – Will try and put in full coin bags into my savings. Not to be dipping into my savings too much. I know that I have decorating/painting/new carpets/lino to be done in the flat. Also money in there for my bucket list.
    Enjoy yourself – Will be looking into this.
    Make an inventory – Will be keeping a close eye on what food and toiletries are in.
    Budgets – Have really looked into this and have made careful calculations. Will make a cash donation to a charity.
    Exercise – Will do.
    Rules – Will try and keep on top of these.
    In case of emergency – Will look into my medicine box. I know that I have painkillers prescribed by the gp for my arthritis. Only take them if and when necessary.
    Now – Still going to be doing self-care, also to not play computer games.
    No – Will do.
    Everyone – Will be doing surveys. Will be extra careful of what I am spending.
    Winter proof – Already have blankets, hot water bottle. Will need to get tins of soup.
    You cook from scratch – not very good at doing this.
    Outside – Will make the most of it during the day.
    Report – Will do.
    Kindness – Will do.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    f0xh0les wrote: »
    NSDs- Aiming for 20

ENJOY yourself. I have such a problem with this one. I am in disguise all the time. I have imposter syndrome. I am pretending to be a fully functioning stay at home supermum. Just your regular neighbourhood psychopath, hating what she is doing, but nobody knows!! I would like to get a job, but would not be able to live with the guilt of leaving my kids while 2 are still in primary school. Sept 2019 there will be only one, I was a latchkey kid to a very young mother who sent us to a grandparent at every opportunity, 2 kids under 6, alone by plane. As soon as school ended 7pm flight. Every single holiday. They were not parents. They were not there. they are no longer in my life.

I understand your reasons (thanks for sharing) but my own experience tells me that we can spend so long running away from our parents mistakes that we crash into them from the other side.

Candles are a source of heat and light and happiness (most were birthday presents or ys bargains)

Me too. Build more enjoyable moments into your day.

OUTSIDE It may be cold but wrap up warm – does freezing my a$$ off on the playground twice a day count? Brrrr. Will try and walk about a bit. Fancy a trip to the Victorian graveyard up the road. Might get my cloak out

Indulge your inner goth. Love the image of you floating/ striding round the cemetery. I only got to wear a cloak once. I was doing a fancy dress pub crawl in aid of one of the voluntary groups I belonged to. I had made myself a flapper dress and someone lent me a floor length black velvet cloak. Come the evening (first Friday in December, cloak was much needed as it's hard to be cheerful walking through 3" of snow in high heels with a dress of which the bottom 18" is fringe and your headgear is a headband with a feather stuck in it.

KINDNESS- will try and disseminate my profound wisdom and experience. While encouraging people to give up on consumerism and all that nonsense.

Nearly put in an exemption on being kind to OH's who need a kick up the ***.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport