Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I hope you've enjoyed your Saturday morning HH. I've just spotted a Costa ad in today's Daily Mail offering a free £1 pastry if you buy any medio or massimo hot drink or flat white before 11 a.m. Probably a bit early for you, HH, but if not I hope you got one and enjoyed it:j

Your Saturday excursions have inspired me:beer:. You've inspired my in other ways too but I love the idea of a regular mooch round a town looking in the charity shops. Whenever I'm in my nearest town I've always got a lot of shopping to do usually at Morrisons and the open market. I like to get there as soon as Morrisons opens at 7 and then go on to the market where I can usually find a free on-street parking space if I'm there soon after 8. Parking's a nightmare in that town especially on market days:mad:.The charity shops usually have to be missed off my list as they're not open that early:(. Some don't open until 9.30. I love reading and hardly ever have the chance to browse the charity shop books at my leisure. I'm going to try to copy you and have a half day maybe once a fortnight dedicated just to charity shops:dance:.

I'm glad I've inspired you to browse your local charity shops Carboot, it's an excellent and cheap way to build up your home library :D.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I went to uni when they still had grants, and even though I was married for my final year, my father was still responsible for making up the grant. Based on his salary, I received minimum grant, whereas if it had been based on hubby's it would have been a full grant. Seemed very strange to be still beholden to parents.

My girls, due to differing salaries, both finish repaying their loans this year. One is 31 and the other 36. SIL, thanks to being out of work a lot or low income, has never repaid any !

Both girls thoroughly enjoyed uni, as did I. But a lot of students now are having to factor into their pay the student loan, hopefully some pension contributions, attempting to save the deposit for a house, not to mention all the pressures to have the latest gizmos that can make you feel a real loser if you have none. These pressures did not exist in the 60's, along with must-have trainers etc etc. You need to be made of strong stuff to resist the lot and go your own economical way, not get into horrendous debt and try to be happy with less.

I brought my girls up to love charity shops, think George at Asda is a wonderful clothing shop, cook from scratch, and, of more recent years, to relish what you can acquire via Freegle. Like me, they're quite independent thinkers, but I don't criticise those who like to fit in, it's a normal part of human nature, and being 'odd' can be isolating.

To be honest, I'm just glad I'm not young now - it's really difficult in so many ways.

I agree it's pretty tough to be young nowadays with so many different pressures! Learning to live frugally is a useful skill for anyone of every age I think.
    My two sons both went to Uni ,both doing very long degrees one did Medicine and the other Architecture. Both were 6 year courses and for both during term time they had no time to do any sort of employment. Both worked in the holidays and luckily they avoided the £9000 fees. It was a tough time financially for the whole family, we paid the fees and the accommodation, so in reality their loan was for them to live on. Neither had a credit card and managed not to use their overdraft very much.However with only a 2 year age difference for 4 years they were both at Uni! Bad planning there! We certainly couldn't have afforded to pay £9,000 a year fees, which for 4 years would have been £18,000 per annum. Absolute madness.
    Their loans are close to finishing, the eldest lives in Hong Kong and the student loan is paid back at a set figure monthly. The other who is now a doctor got a shock, as when he covered locum shifts and his pay was sometimes double his normal his loan repayment shot up.
    The only way to look at it is that it is viewed as a graduate tax. They have both bought houses and although mortgage providers ask for the outstanding amount it is not used in any calculations for the mortgage.
    I really feel for students and families struggling through Uni now with the excessively high fees. Leaving with a debt of £10,000 to £20,000 is bad enough but today's students leave with debts in excess of £50,000.
    What is more galling is that all the politicians that decide on these fees all went through University for free. So unfair.

Yes it is very unfair I think and an added stress for young people. The only consolation is that everyone who goes to uni now is in the same boat.
    So many interesting posts on the university issue -lots of food for thought here.

Hope your Saturday saunter has gone well today Hairy and you've found some good books in the charity shop!

I had a great time thanks SSG :)
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 March 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    Happy Monday everyone.

I feel a bit bleh today but I think it's a sense of anticlimax after my birthday weekend, plus the effect of too much chocolate and rich food :o.

I've tried to eat healthily today so I can detox my digestion. Tomorrow I want to do a short park walk to get the day off to a healthy start,

Then I want to review the work we've got on and come up with a goal orientated action plan, because I feel like we've been drifting a bit since I had the flu. Hopefully I can get DH on board.

I had a 25 point YG survey today, but PA appears to have abandoned me, I knew my lucky streak couldn't last!

Hope everyone has had a good day :).
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Happy belated birthday Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • mummytogirls
    mummytogirls Posts: 6,578 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Happy Belated Birthday HHOD xx
    Mummytogirls x

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks both of you :)
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lovely birthday weekend - many happy returns to you.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It sounds like a lovely weekend, HH. You say you've probably had your fill of rich food but here's a belated slice of birthday cake:bdaycake: and a cider or two:beer:

The silver jewellery sounds lovely. I love silver:T. I saw some really nice silver and turquoise earrings recently but had spent so much on getting organised for my brother's funeral that they seemed like an extravagance at the time. I didn't intend to wear them for that occasion anyway so I thought it best to keep my purse clamped shut. They were surprisingly inexpensive for the quality and I promised myself that I'd go back and buy them this week if the coins in my loose-change money tin went most of the way to paying for them. I'd been dropping small change into that money box for months, it was so heavy. There were a lot of coppers in it:rotfl: but enough silver coins to be a pleasant surprise:j

I popped into the shop this morning after a Morrisons trip but the earrings had been sold:(. Disappointing but probably all for the best as they were definitely a want rather than a need. By the way, I didn't lug the coins with me:rotfl:, I didn't intend to pay with them. They've been bagged up and paid into the bank.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    cbc~~ Boo to the earrings :(
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Sounds like you had a lovely birthday weekend - many happy returns to you.

Thanks Redo :)
    It sounds like a lovely weekend, HH. You say you've probably had your fill of rich food but here's a belated slice of birthday cake:bdaycake: and a cider or two:beer:

The silver jewellery sounds lovely. I love silver:T. I saw some really nice silver and turquoise earrings recently but had spent so much on getting organised for my brother's funeral that they seemed like an extravagance at the time. I didn't intend to wear them for that occasion anyway so I thought it best to keep my purse clamped shut. They were surprisingly inexpensive for the quality and I promised myself that I'd go back and buy them this week if the coins in my loose-change money tin went most of the way to paying for them. I'd been dropping small change into that money box for months, it was so heavy. There were a lot of coppers in it:rotfl: but enough silver coins to be a pleasant surprise:j

I popped into the shop this morning after a Morrisons trip but the earrings had been sold:(. Disappointing but probably all for the best as they were definitely a want rather than a need. By the way, I didn't lug the coins with me:rotfl:, I didn't intend to pay with them. They've been bagged up and paid into the bank.

Thanks Carboot :).

A shame about the earrings but as you say they were a want rather than a need. Although a little bit of what we want can be good for us occasionally :).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure