The Top Easy Access Savings Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    fryedslyce wrote: »
    Paragon will go to 1.40% on 01/12/17

Where did you hear this? I've not seen anything from Paragon about an increase in rates. Will this be a new account or the recent 1.31% account they were offering, that was withdrawn from sale yesterday?
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • caveman38
    caveman38 Posts: 1,297 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 28 November 2017 at 7:18AM
    Options

Currently showing a cut to 0.5% and as AB says - the Limited Edition is closed.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    There is some talk about banks (such as RCI) who hold an EU licence and the 100,000 Euros protection - the protection will still be there but they are investigating changing the rules so that the bank will be allowed to wait up to several months before paying out if they go bust and just pay out enough to cover 'living expenses' in the short term.

For UK banks the timescale is 7 days. Something to be aware of when saving with eg RCI.
  • Uxb
    Uxb Posts: 1,340 Forumite
    Options
    Indeed, you are correct. A discussion paper from the ECB published a week or so ago quietly suggested watering down the strict Euro 100000 guarantee in the event that a bank looks wobbly.
    They really have lost their marbles on this one as should this be implemented the first reaction of anyone the very first instance a bank looks suspect would be to panic first thereby precipitating the event they are trying to avoid - just like Northern Rock in fact.

Sigh - just another reason to get out of the union.
  • puttee
    puttee Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    The Monevator financial blog is a good starting point to understand investing. Unfortunately, it's a blog, so the articles are in a somewhat random order, but there are various indexes and menus to help.

Thanks Eco Miser. I will have a look through that and do a bit of read. Hopefully I will begin to get a grip with the basic concepts before going to something more in-depth.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Eco_Miser wrote: »
    The Monevator financial blog is a good starting point to understand investing. Unfortunately, it's a blog, so the articles are in a somewhat random order, but there are various indexes and menus to help.

+1 for Monevator

Be aware though that the writer is heavily biased towards passive investing.

Not a bad thing for a novice IMHO;)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Uxb wrote: »
    Sigh - just another reason to get out of the union.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland? ;)
  • AirlieBird
    AirlieBird Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    Options
    AirlieBird wrote: »
    Where did you hear this? I've not seen anything from Paragon about an increase in rates. Will this be a new account or the recent 1.31% account they were offering, that was withdrawn from sale yesterday?

To answer my own question, it appears Issue 2 (from July 2015) and Issue 3 (from July 2017) of the Limited Edition Easy Access Saver are increasing to 1.40%, but the recent Issue 4 remains at 1.31%. I can't see any other increase to Paragon's variable rates.
    https://www.paragonbank.co.uk/savings/historic-rates
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    clivep wrote: »
    Still getting the error today. Tried without logging in and also got the error.

Telephoned and was able to open OK. Advisor said that I would need to wait until Friday to open if I wanted the higher rate! Told her this wasn't correct and read out details from http://www.tescobank.com/savings/flexible/internet-saver/index.html?cmpid=agg/acq/sv/is/Is Suggested she checked with her manager. Came back confirming that I was correct and that she had not been correctly informed.

Just as well I didn't wait as the advisor suggested.

Variable rate up 0.15% to 0.55%.
    Bonus rate down 0.15% to 0.65%.
    AER unchanged at 1.2%.

So much for the hype of 1.35% if opened after 1st December!!!

My 1.2% should be uplifted to 1.35% but currently none of my savings accounts are showing the 0.15% increase when viewed online.
  • Former_MSE_Andrea
    Options
    Hi folks!

There's a new top easy access savings rate. Birmingham Midshires is paying 1.45%

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest#bm
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories