Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ha ha Jimmy! You knew what I meant though ;p

Thanks Jessy- he's a right cutie :heartpuls he's now started to do the head rub thing against my legs when I come home. Adorable. However they've both ravaged the gorgeous dining chairs we bought from next :( we need to find out if they do different covers for them (they have a zip up the back so I'm hopeful!)

Working from home today but had some IT isssues so went in before the workforce were in and got it sorted so I could come back home.

One load of washing is out drying in the mid-day sun, it's still sunny but dropped a bit chilly so a jumper is on and Hugo nestled on my lap for warmth.

Went to the gym yesterday (5km run, 10 minute rowing and 17min weight training- press ups etc) and ate really well. I need to take each day as it comes regarding my weight and not get too hung up on it.
    Used the cross trainer (in spare room) for 15 mins before work and will either have another go at lunch to get it to 45 mins or go to the gym :)

Should be a NSD today as not planning on visiting any shops, and dinner is a bit of a use-up tea as the butternut is looking sorry for itself :/
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Managed to get my butt to the gym; did a small 3.5km run followed by 20 mins on the stepper machine on a high (for me) level! Worked up a good sweat and felt all chipper!

Dinner was a success- butternut squash, one sweet spud, courgette, peppers, kidney beans garlic and onions all cooked down with some tinned toms, chilli powder and paprika. Was delicious, however I thought it'd make two portions and I made 4.

There's now 1 portion plus rice in a tub in the freezer, another on its own in the freezer, and one final tub in the fridge for on my jacket spud which I'll ping in the micro after college tomorrow.

Checked all banking earlier and swept a little £45 across to the mortgage, made up of our water DD being reduced by £11 (no letter/bill to explain it though!) and also food spends being low the past few weeks.

Watching an old episode of eat well for less on catch up tv (think it's series 2) and the lady on it was confused with how to chop a potato....I know I shouldn't judge but I was a little gobsmacked! Good to see her & her hubbie learning cooking skills though and being proud to feed her family by the end of it.

The gf is off away in Glasgow and I've put together a meal plan: she been resistant to it before as thinks she'll fancy something else on certain days. I've not told her I've done it, hoping if I just suggest on the day what I've planned she might go for it. I've also told her I've spotted a fish recipe I want to try later in the week so I'm hoping by sowing the seed early she'll be game to eat it :D
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • blackste
    blackste Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    "Watching an old episode of eat well for less on catch up tv (think it's series 2) and the lady on it was confused with how to chop a potato.."

I love this show. It never fails to amaze me how daft people actually are towards food, and money. Its a scary world out there.

Good going on the gym. Its my nemesis. I cant face the boredom of those machines. Keep up the good work!!
    Mortgage £242500 on completion
    FD CC 11/2014 £5900 (£3900 after BT)
    FD loan Approx £5700

Deeply depressing total - £254100
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Aw, Hugo is gorgeous :) Don't expect anything in your house not to get ravaged... it's a sad (and rare) downside to cats! :) Hope you can get replacement covers, but maybe save them until the boys have grown up a bit (and are outside?).
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Yes you're right Madvix- won't be long until they re outside- last night the boys were al snuggled and almost asleep after they had done their usual licking my arm to death bit. Oscar then moved and crouched over Hugo biting his neck and looked like he weed a little on him :/

Think Oscars neutering might be closer than we thought!

Small tilly tidy of 39p today to round down the joint bills account. Money's going to be tight until the 14th which is payday if I want to stay out of the overdraft (which of course I do!).

All food from stores today, college tonight and hoping for a NSD again today- going to need a few of these over the next fortnight!!
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,898 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We got our boys done as soon as they were old enough - and until the recent (stress-related) toilet issues it has meant that they've never sprayed anywhere - definitely a worthwhile plan of action! Watch out for the anaesthetic wearing off though - our were high as kites, threw their water bowls around and generally behaved like lunatics for the rest of the day! :)

Lots of NSD in the next fortnight sounds like a great short-term challenge :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• Kittenkirst
    Options
    Hi all, it's been a roller coaster of 24hours....got a call from the gf just before 3pm, she was crying and I could make out she said she had had an accident and the phone cut off :(

Managed to get back through to her and after a few panicky calls where the signal kept dropping understood she had had a crash in the work car in Scotland; the ambulance and police were there and then it went quiet for an hour.

Eventually she called me back (I had hurriedly rushed around getting dressed- was in pjs as was working from home- feeding and watering cats, called her boss to sort out the car and next steps) and the police were dropping her off at Lockerbie for hr to get a train. Jumped in the car and went to her parents and her mum and I drove to Manchester to pick her up at 8pm, we got home for 11pm.

She is relatively unharmed, just a banged lip, nose, finger and knee but looking at the pic of the car (front end has gone so it's a write off) she was incredibly lucky!!

From what she's said the ambulance and police were fantastic, and a random gentleman who got on the train with her at Lockerbie saw her banged up face and started chatting- he then got her a cup of tea and crisps from the train cart and gave her his coat for when she got off the train. What a truly lovely gent.

I'm just so so so thankful that she is okay!

work are being fantastic about it, her boss drove over today to chat with her and make sure she is okay and find out what happened, he's just left so we are having some lunch. We all agreed she is to rest for the rest of the week at least and see how she's doing next week.

Properly thanking our lucky stars today and haven't stopped hugging her since she got home. :A
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    On MSE note I've counted up the change jar and ekked out the last £20 of change and that's been overpaid today :D

Also had a Pinecone survey in so assume that willcredit and clear in July to start the July OPs off :)
  • Fortune_Smiles
    Fortune_Smiles Posts: 5,033 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Very glad to hear GF is going to be ok. Sending hugs.

Fortune x
    Mortgage: 86% paid Mortgage Neutral: 100% Emergency Fund: 100%
    A Better View 🌄 'Being on the edge isn't as safe, but the view is better' - Ricky Gervais
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    Delurking to say sorry about your GFs accident, glad she is ok :)
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure