PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Prepping Thread - A Newer Beginning ;)

Options

Comments

• Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Er, apologies to BBC for cut & pasting wholesale

I think the major selling point is that you can do it over two sessions, but the chaps assure me that the great big chunks of mango are a bonus too. (It can be fiddly slicing a fresh mango, so I just use a very sharp knife, peel the mango & slice chunks off til I hit the stone, chuck that on top of the peel, rinse the knife & start in on the next mango.)

...or you can cheat and pick up the packs of chopped mango when they're reduced to clear in the supermarket, whichever is cheaper at the time.

I liked pineapple chutney the best - I got a jar from an Indian grocery store - but it was a fairly standard brand (Geeta's, I think) - it had some additional spices in it, whole coriander, cardamom and cumin, IIRC, but tasted sweet and sour and spiced, rather than just the almost overwhelming sweetness that mango chutney seems to have. It would be made pretty much the same way, though.

Reduced to clear whole pineapples, preprepared or frozen (which I've seen in the supermarket recently), would all do the job.

Which reminds me - I must get around to doing another big frozen/cheap and able to be frozen fruit & veg shop (and open freeze some peach/nectarine slices, as they are better for blitzing or cooking with than when in tins)
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JoJo - my mum used to make Pineapple Chutney -very tasty with turmeric in it. If you're interested I'll hook out the recipe
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Living_proof
    Options
    I have several jars of h/m mango chutney probably c. 2016 and still tasting fine, but I also have a fresh pineapple, so all ears for a chutney recipe! In looking through my preps and preserves today I think I could survive for months but I guess that would probably include some very odd menu combinations indeed. I have also found recently it's possible to ferment pineapple rind, which will make a sort of pickle. One can also cook banana skins in a meatball type dish and actually it looked quite interesting and not at all sweet.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    This (tepache recipe) is a very excellent thing to do with a fresh pineapple!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    silvasava wrote: »
    JoJo - my mum used to make Pineapple Chutney -very tasty with turmeric in it. If you're interested I'll hook out the recipe

Yes, please!
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • silvasava
    edited 13 December 2018 at 5:32PM
    Options
    Pineapple Chutney

1 can 425 gm Crushed Pineapple
    1 can 425 gm Pineapple Pieces
    2lb finely chopped onions
    1 pint vinegar
    1lb sugar
    1 Tbs Turmeric
    1 Tbs Curry Powder
    1 Tbs Dry Mustard
    1 Tbs Salt
    3 Tbs Plain Flour

Drain pineapple pieces and keep juice
    Put Pineapple,Onion,Sugar and vinegar in a large saucepan,cover and simmer until onion is tender
    Mix the rest of the ingredients to a smooth paste with the pineapple juice
    Stir this paste into the boiling mixture
    Simmer until thick - approx 10 mins - keep stirring during thickening
    Pour into clean hot jars - screw top

These are the instructions my Mum wrote - however, dont know what type of vinegar,would assume white & dont know what type of sugar,again would assume white. Id be inclined to buy frozen diced onions too!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • thriftwizard
    Options
    Thank you, silvasava, energy levels permitting I'll give that a go tomorrow!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • silvasava
    Options
    Thrift - looking at the weight of the ingredients I cant believe that treble the amount only makes a pound and a half of pickle so I'm going to delete that comment!
    Please let me know how much you get - assuming you use the recipe amounts I reckon it should be about 3-4lb ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Well, here's my latest acquisition. :cool:
    51lF0Y8Re1L._SX425_.jpg
  • retiredlady
    retiredlady Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Well, here's my latest acquisition. :cool:
    51lF0Y8Re1L._SX425_.jpg

What is it?
    When life hands you lemons, ask for tequilla and salt and give me a call!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure