Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?

Do any recent joiners to Shell energy broadband have any feedback to share about it ?

I am referring to their standard ADSL 'fast broadband' 'up to 11Mbps' service, not their fibre offerings.

I am always suspicious of very cheap providers as they probably over-commit their available bandwidth more than most. But as we are quite far from the exchange and on an EO line we only get a 2Mbps sync speed anyway. I am wondering if this service would be good enough.

Any feedback on how much it slows down (or stops) during peak evening hours would be useful.

Comments

• I have just joined but not connected yet so sorry can’t help at the moment. I was wondering about the automatic £75 back offer as there was no mention of it on the Shell website when I signed up although I followed the MSE link. Please can anyone else tell me what happened when they signed up?
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Irene.S wrote: »
    I was wondering about the automatic £75 back offer as there was no mention of it on the Shell website when I signed up although I followed the MSE link.
    It may not be the same offer as yours, but currently the entries for Shell Energy's "Fast Broadband" and "Superfast Fibre" products on MSE's "Broadband Unbundled Deals" page say:
    Your £75 bill credit will be automatically added to your account at the end of October.
  • Thanks for your reply. Yes, did you see that on the MSE website? That is what I have applied for - the Shell Energy Fast Broadband but there has been no mention by Shell Energy of the £75 bill credit being automatically added to my account. I am a bit anxious about it not being applied as the offer is not so good without it.
  • I used the offer where it was a £60 bill credit after 3 months - just today they have credited £50 instead so going to have to phone them up to get it corrected
  • I used the offer where it was a £60 bill credit after 3 months - just today they have credited £50 instead so going to have to phone them up to get it corrected

The £50 credit is pre-VAT. It adds up to £60 when you include the VAT.
  • Inigo_Montoya
    Inigo_Montoya Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The £50 credit is pre-VAT. It adds up to £60 when you include the VAT.

yes sorry, I realised that later after I had posted
  • I decided to sign up for this offer but have just asked Shell's live chat to confirm the £75 offer as it doesn't mention it during sign up ....
    " have I signed up to get the offer of £75 back so making my monthly payment equivalent to £10.50ish pm? "
    Answer "Thanks for the message! We'll get back to you as soon as we can."
    ...they haven't got back yet, that was over 30mins ago!
  • rpip
    rpip Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post
    I have just joined and think that at least the 1st of following should have been mentioned.
    1. Page 7 of Shell Pricing pdf states that a Cease Charge of £15 will be incurred including after 12 months contract period!!
    2. Shell charge £35 if you dont return the Router if they request this.

Shell are very slow to respond to emails and poor comprehension. Their chat facility is always ' we are currently....long wait'
  • Hi, apologies my order was fibre but some points still relevant.

Easy sign-up, there was no obvious way to add a different address for router (you may have been able to contact customer services to change but that might not have been easy)

Router: received before go live date but it looks cheap and nasty (not very technical but it definitely looked a step down from more recent routers I've had!)

Go live date: I received an email saying my service was now live. Went home to plug in the new router but my existing internet was still working so I was confused. So I contacted their customer service....

customer service: poor, it's hard just finding an email address to contact them on, albeit in a frustrated mindset (broadband.support@shellenergy.co.uk) or a telephone number (0330 094 5801). When I did speak to them they were pretty rude over a simple question. The answer to my question was that their service will work on an existing router plugged in. Maybe this is well known but this is first time I've swapped fibre, all previous swaps have required the new router to be plugged in before service works. I was on Vodafone previously so definitely works for their routers, not sure about other providers.

Online account: I can't log in to my online account because apparently my password is wrong (it was saved on two different password managers) but ok so use the reset password link except no email is forthcoming for about 13 hours. And when it does turn up there is a 20 minute limit to reset password, unsurprisingly enough I'd missed the 20 minute window so have requested again but 2 hours and counting...

I've got a working service but I'm not confident they'll be good at resolving any problems and when I switch in 12 months it would have to be really cheap to tempt me back.
  • s_b
    s_b Posts: 4,463 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Interesting
    i have tonight gone live from vodaphone fibre to shell and found my vodaphone router is working fine
    so im going to keep with it because yes the shell one looks junk
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure