Forum Home» Phones & TV» Broadband & Internet Access

Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Shell energy broadband - any feedback from recent joiners ?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
267 replies 30.7K views

Replies

• edited 1 November 2019 at 9:34AM
    keef-WhatStandardskeef-WhatStandards Forumite
    285 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 1 November 2019 at 9:34AM
    I access a webcam via my broadband and since taking Shell's deal speed has been very poor. In fact my inital connection sometimes times out, so I wouldn't recommend their service based on my previous suppliers at this property using the same router (Sky, Plusnet and Newcall Telecom) being quite acceptable in that department.

Edit: To put some figures on speed. Whilst downloads seem reasonable at 11Mbps uploads at 0.4Mbps are what seems to be choking the system.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • starMstarM Forumite
    1.5K posts
    I signed up yesterday for £26.99 76mb super fast fibre

The email I have received clearly shows £26.99 includes VAT. It also mentions of £75 which will be paid and of Jan 2020.

Anyone connected with Shell. How is the service and speed like?

I am with Now TV contract is coming to an end. Wondering if I go back and see if they can offer me better deal

Thanks
  • GDB2222GDB2222 Forumite
    18K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I access a webcam via my broadband and since taking Shell's deal speed has been very poor. In fact my inital connection sometimes times out, so I wouldn't recommend their service based on my previous suppliers at this property using the same router (Sky, Plusnet and Newcall Telecom) being quite acceptable in that department.

Edit: To put some figures on speed. Whilst downloads seem reasonable at 11Mbps uploads at 0.4Mbps are what seems to be choking the system.

Any idea why it’s different with different suppliers? They are essentially selling you the same BT Openreach product.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Nessie23Nessie23 Forumite
    245 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    Any idea why it’s different with different suppliers? They are essentially selling you the same BT Openreach product.

Moved from Sky to PlusNet and although the broadband product was very similar and in both cases supplied with BT Openreach the speeds from PlusNet were terrible, I believe it was due to their awful router. Can't comment on ShellEnergy yet but this could be the case.
  • lpgmlpgm Forumite
    345 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Has anyone had the £75 credit due in October? I haven't.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    18K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just received this:
    You recently made the great decision to switch to Shell Energy Broadband through MoneySavingExpert.com. When you switched, we promised you some money off in the form of a £75 bill credit.
    Well, good news, we’ve applied your bill credit. You’ll see it on your next bill.
  • lpgmlpgm Forumite
    345 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Yes, I've had it too.
  • Not ADSL in my case but same company. No issues at all so far and have just received notice of my £75 credit as promised. Well pleased.
  • They've now applied the credit on my latest bill, but it shows as £62.50 rather than £75, which I've not worked-out yet.

It seems that rather than applying a percentage of the credit to each monthly bill, they're simply not collecting any direct debits until all the credit has been used.

Or am I missing something there?
    18K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePounds wrote: »
    They've now applied the credit on my latest bill, but it shows as £62.50 rather than £75, which I've not worked-out yet.

It seems that rather than applying a percentage of the credit to each monthly bill, they're simply not collecting any direct debits until all the credit has been used.

Or am I missing something there?

£62.50 +VAt = £75.

And, yes, it's applied as a credit to the account, which is exactly what they said they'd do.