PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Waiting for a buyer... Anyone want to join me?

Options

Comments

• bikingbarney
    bikingbarney Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yep I dont think we are doing too bad, 8 viewing in under 2 weeks !!

The problem is is that people are using this brexit malarkey as an excuse to low ball offer!!

People are offering me less money than 3 beds have recently gone for on the same estate !!
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    Options
    Yep I dont think we are doing too bad, 8 viewing in under 2 weeks !!

The problem is is that people are using this brexit malarkey as an excuse to low ball offer!!

People are offering me less money than 3 beds have recently gone for on the same estate !!

How many offers have you had and how far under the asking price?
  • smile88egc
    smile88egc Posts: 92 Forumite
    Options
    Barney it's not an excuse, if prices continue to drop and a buyer has offered too high then their offer will not be matched by their lender's valuation.
    It's common sense to want to avoid negative equity no?
  • kellsm
    kellsm Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Well after falling through 6 weeks ago (buyer pulled out just before exhange) we finally had a low offer last week - 15k under our already reduced price! We decided to accept the offer as the owners of the house we are still trying to buy accepted a much lower offer.. The offer was an investor looking for a bargain and has already paid for searches and is rushing things through. Thought all was done then we had another offer yesterday 10k higher from first time buyers who have their mortgage sorted. We were happy with the investor as he seems really motivated but we can't turn 10k down can we???
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    kellsm wrote: »
    Well after falling through 6 weeks ago (buyer pulled out just before exhange) we finally had a low offer last week - 15k under our already reduced price! We decided to accept the offer as the owners of the house we are still trying to buy accepted a much lower offer.. The offer was an investor looking for a bargain and has already paid for searches and is rushing things through. Thought all was done then we had another offer yesterday 10k higher from first time buyers who have their mortgage sorted. We were happy with the investor as he seems really motivated but we can't turn 10k down can we???

Erm yes if you want to.
    Your house, your choice BUT how would YOU feel if the owner of the house you want to buy accepts a higher offer than yours?
    I mean, they couldn't turn it down could they???
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • lor42x
    lor42x Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    smile88egc wrote: »
    Barney it's not an excuse, if prices continue to drop and a buyer has offered too high then their offer will not be matched by their lender's valuation.
    It's common sense to want to avoid negative equity no?

This is my worry on a property we're hoping to buy. We offered 10k less based on average market value in the area of properties currently under offer...it was declined but they've said they'll negotiate when we've got a firm sale. Either way I'd be reluctant to increase much more as can't see the bank valuing it at what they're asking for!!
  • kilby_007
    kilby_007 Posts: 738 Forumite
    edited 31 July 2016 at 12:26PM
    Options
    lor42x wrote: »
    This is my worry on a property we're hoping to buy. We offered 10k less based on average market value in the area of properties currently under offer...it was declined but they've said they'll negotiate when we've got a firm sale. Either way I'd be reluctant to increase much more as can't see the bank valuing it at what they're asking for!!

If you're already on the ladder then it's all relative. Look at the sold price for houses 6 months ago for your own property and the house you're offering on. Has your asking price increased proportionally to that of the one you're offering on? If so, expect a similar % discount for your own property as the one you're offering on. If you achieve more, then you have room to negotiate upwards on the property you're moving to. Don't rip yourself off, but equally don't expect to achieve a discount on your next house but to sell yours at the asking price. You can't have your cake and eat it. You won't know what valuation you will get until it happens, so deal with it when the valuation comes in and revise your offer if needs be but expect the same to happen down the chain.
  • lor42x
    lor42x Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    If you're already on the ladder then it's all relative. Look at the sold price for houses 6 months ago for your own property and the house you're offering on. Has your asking price increased proportionally to that of the one you're offering on? If so, expect a similar % discount for your own property as the one you're offering on. If you achieve more, then you have room to negotiate upwards on the property you're moving to. Don't rip yourself off, but equally don't expect to achieve a discount on your next house but to sell yours at the asking price. You can't have your cake and eat it. You won't know what valuation you will get until it happens, so deal with it when the valuation comes in and revise your offer if needs be but expect the same to happen down the chain.

Ours has held the same value as the other properties in the area that have recently sold. Fully expect we'll be offered less on ours as well but feel we're priced more accurately to start with (though I'm sure the other owners feel the same!) - who knows! Feels like we're in unknown territory for everyone at the moment :)
  • bikingbarney
    bikingbarney Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    kilby_007 wrote: »
    How many offers have you had and how far under the asking price?

We have the house on at offers over £190k and hope to achieve between 195 and 200k.

one offer of £180 and another of £185k, neither of these would get you a 3 bed semi on the same estate.

The people who offered £185 had a second viewing and are looking at hopefully increasing their offer in the weeks to come.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We have the house on at offers over £190k and hope to achieve between 195 and 200k.

one offer of £180 and another of £185k, neither of these would get you a 3 bed semi on the same estate.

The people who offered £185 had a second viewing and are looking at hopefully increasing their offer in the weeks to come.

Squabbling over 10k in this economic climate is madness, take the 180 or 185 and sell the thing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure