🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

stressed , fed up and very down

Options

Comments

• mummyofboys
    mummyofboys Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    I wasnt having a go I was stating that it will be a positive...to be honest I do not know why you are being so negative about all this. I came here for help with my current situation, not career advise! I am not stupid I have fully researched all aspects of what I want to do and the sacrifices I have to make. I am not going into it blind! Having children has its plus point, it has infact completely changed me as a person and gave me very good life experience!
  • MilneBay
    MilneBay Posts: 50 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I just wanted to say you should be really proud of achieving a place at University. They are not easy to come by at the moment and as someone who works in higher education I can only agree that deferring at the moment is not a good idea.
    You have your place so you must be doing well with your studies and there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Okay, the job market is not great just now and yes, it may take you time to find work at the end of it, but a degree is a qualification for life and sometimes you have to wait to reap the rewards.
    You are setting a great example to your children for what hard work can achive.

It does sound like you are juggling rather a lot so perhaps it would be worth looking at a debt management plan? It will affect your credit rating but if you are studying for the next three or four years you will be unlikely to get any more credit anyway. Perhaps it would ease the burden slightly and make it easier for you to focus on your family and studies.
    Hope you get where you want to in the end. Sounds like you are very determined and just think how proud you will be on graduation day!
    MB
  • gettingbackontrack
    gettingbackontrack Posts: 241 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2011 at 4:06PM
    Options
    jay_mi10 wrote: »
    I wasnt having a go I was stating that it will be a positive...to be honest I do not know why you are being so negative about all this. I came here for help with my current situation, not career advise! I am not stupid I have fully researched all aspects of what I want to do and the sacrifices I have to make. I am not going into it blind! Having children has its plus point, it has infact completely changed me as a person and gave me very good life experience!

Good for you for standing up for yourself and not letting someone try to put you off by sneering and sniping. I dislike people who have to bring others down. Good luck on your debt-free journey and your new career, OP.
  • mummyofboys
    mummyofboys Posts: 431 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you everyone else for all your constructive advise :)
  • arthursleep
    arthursleep Posts: 672 Forumite
    edited 21 March 2011 at 4:25PM
    Options
    Well done on achieving a place at uni. I agree with the others that you are setting a great example to your children
    Unfortunately life can sometimes throw you a curve ball , and some of us end up having kids and debt before starting our career.
    I have 3 children and debt but still hope to do my pgce after working so hard for my degree whilst bringing up my 3 kids.
    Teaching is another job where it's hard to get into in this market but i will carry on with my career and hope to be good enough to compete with others applying for the same jobs.
    Maybe the op needs some support ??
    LBM Aug 10 :eek: [STRIKE]15,995.86 [/STRIKE]:eek:12,750.49

Creation [STRIKE]4,336[/STRIKE] 3,753.27 Priority [STRIKE]2,017.89 [/STRIKE] 0 :j Halifax [STRIKE]719[/STRIKE] 576.99
    Barclays [STRIKE]4,077.77 [/STRIKE]3,859.73 Nationwide [STRIKE]2,496.88[/STRIKE] 2,210.5 O/D 2,350
  • gratefulforhelp_2
    Options
    Well, arthur speaking as an experienced teacher although this is not the best time to come into the profession, it is still, IMHO the best job in the world and I welcome you and wish you all the very best.
    Please do not confuse me with other gratefulsforhelp. x
  • arthursleep
    edited 21 March 2011 at 4:24PM
    Options
    And on your two days off you will be doing 2 shifts on your old job.I wish you well, you obviously have no idea of the volume of work you can expect.And to be the best of the best and secure a job against nurses with lots of experience you will need to study hard and get a good degree.And when will you spend time with your children.

It is possible to study hard , get a good degree and not neglect your children.

Creation [STRIKE]4,336[/STRIKE] 3,753.27 Priority [STRIKE]2,017.89 [/STRIKE] 0 :j Halifax [STRIKE]719[/STRIKE] 576.99
    Barclays [STRIKE]4,077.77 [/STRIKE]3,859.73 Nationwide [STRIKE]2,496.88[/STRIKE] 2,210.5 O/D 2,350
  • spidystrider
    spidystrider Posts: 1,246 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Quit with the "up to date degree remarks" we all have to keep our degree up to date, it is a mandatory requirement to maintain our registration.No we do not "give people a chance" we employ the very best, most experienced candidate we can get.~Again care home experience is wonderful but you are about to get a big shock with the vast difference between them and the acute environment.I did start somewhere, with a very good degree following 5 excellent A levels, 2 years as a nursing auxiliarry and at a time when there were some jobs available.I also spent my elective placement abroad so had a unique experience that most newly qualifieds are unable to offer.I was two years post qualified when I got a band 6, I then did my public health degree and have started the masters degree in advanced paediatric nurse practioner.
    I was in a good position of not having debt, BTW the milage allowance is pitiful and hasnt been increased for 10yrs.
    Do you really think that you will not struggle to compete with students who do not have any childcare worries.It is not a child friendly course, you have to work the same shifts as your mentor.

The OP did not come on asking for advice on her career choice. What she chooses to do as a career has got nothing to do with you!

She has came on here feeling down and depressed and is looking for advice on her debt problems.

In what way are you helping :mad:

Personally I am a stay at home mum and would never dream of being away from my kids, but that is my choice.
    Mortgage Free in 3-T2 : Started at £151,000 Nov. 2009 Mortgage Free Oct 1st 2015 :)
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Options
    Jay

Trying to get this back on track and provide some help for you.

This is the letter you can send to littlewoods re the phone calls - some people have mentioned it but I don't think anyone has provided a link yet - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=11571485&postcount=4

Have you spoken to a debt charity at all for some advice? or have you considered it? - if not these are the recommended places - IMPORTANT - Where to seek professional impartial advice about your debts.

I do think something like a DMP may help you with dealing with your debts and stop you feeling so stressed out and struggling to deal with it all alone. You can then focus on the other areas of your life a bit more.

I hope son's tests go okay this week and the news is good. Even if it is bad news at least you will know that he will be diagnosed and be getting the support etc he needs.

Do you have anyone you can talk to about all these issues? and is there someone supporting you as well as it sounds like you are being the rock for your whole family.

:)
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • arthursleep
    Options
    I would also say that doing 3 weeks of 12 hour days for 96 quid a week shows that the op isn't shy of hard work.
    She also has a husband who i am sure will be able to help with her childcare.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport