PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Does anyone else have a tagine??

Options

Comments

• onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    yum yum, sounds lovely the best ever lamb i had was cooked in one in morroco , soz i havent got any hang on will look 34 morroccio book brb
  • onetomany
    onetomany Posts: 2,170 Forumite
    Options
    ok hun t just to say i havent tryed this one getting if from my morocco cook book, he it goes serves 4
    1 small leg spring lamb
    400g prunes
    200g almonds
    200g onions
    100g ginger
    100ml oil
    1g saffron
    4 garlic gloves
    meat stock
    1 pinnch of coriander
    1 pinch of parsley
    salt
    honey

lighty fry the chopped garlic and onion in the tajine cooking pot, or saucepan, when golden add the finely chopped ginger, coriander and parsly, now add the saffron and legs of lamb, fry lightly for a few more minuites and then cover with meat stock, leave over a low heat and pulse the remaining ingredients to make the sauce, return the meat and sauce to the saucepan , add the quanitity of prunes and honey desired and cook for 5 minutes, just before serving fry the amonds in a little oil and add to the stew
    sounds yummmmmmmmmmmy hope this helps(think im gonna do this sometime)
  • Juliav_2
    Juliav_2 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I have had a look in a few of my receipe books, the best I have found are in my Aga book, but can easily be converted into cooking in a tagine.

Hope they help

CUMIN SPICED LAMB
    A casserole with a good thick sauce. Yummy with brown rice and even better the day after it is made!

2 tbsp oil
    750g lamb (neck fillet) sliced in 2cm slices
    750g onions, chopped
    2 fat cloves of garlic, crushed
    750g can toms
    2 tsp ground cumin
    salt and freshly ground pepper

Put oil in the pan. Brown the meat on all sides. Lift out of the pan and put the meat to one side. Add the onion and garlic to the fat remaining in the pan and stir well. Cook for about 10 minutes on a gentle heat.

Stir in the tomatoes, cumin and seasoning. Return the meat to the pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.

This can be put into the tagine and cooked for a couple of hours on a low heat.

KASHMIR LAMB
    Lamb in a spiced piquant sauce.

675g lamb (neck fillet or shoulder of lamb)
    2 tbsp sunflower oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp flour
    150ml chicken stock
    salt and pepper

Put oil in the pan, brown the meat on both sides. Lift out into a small dish to set aside. Fry the onion and add the garlic. Stir in the spices and flour then add the stock, stirring all the time. Allow to thicken, season and pour over the meat. Cover with a lid and bring back to the boil.

Cook in tagine for another 1 hour and half until meat is tender.

Not too many ingredients in either, mainly storecupboard spices.
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks ladies they sound delish and SO much simpler than the ones I found by googling! :eek:
    I think I might try the cumin lamb - that sounds right up my street!!!
    Although it's a close called thing! That one with prunes sounds great - might try that one but change the prunes for apricots... (had a bit of a prune incident recently - as I'm pregnant I get odd cravings... well mine was prunes! I ate nearly a WHOLE bag of them and boy did they give me a tummy upset LOL)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Mrs Tine,

There's an earlier thread with recipes for the tagine, including one for lamb cooked in the tagine so I've added your thread to it to keep the recipes together.

I'm afraid I've had to remove the post with Nigella's recipe for copyright reasons but you can find the link here

Pink
  • MrsTinks
    Options
    Well the cumin lamb is in the tagine in the oven so I'll let you know how that works out! I altered it a little and added a little crushed coriander seed and a veg stock cube...
    DFW Nerd #025

• MrsTinks
    Options
    Well the cumin lamb tagine with the changes I made was DELISHIOUS! It's been added as a regular menu item on DHs request!
    DFW Nerd #025

• Triker
    Triker Posts: 7,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I've got a tagine from morrocco, a friend brought it back for me. However never thought to use it in an oven but did try it on the gas burner and the bottom just went really really black and sooty and I abandoned cooking with it.

It's brown and glazed and made of clay, should I not bother again on the gas and just try the oven method?

MrsTine, I am soooooo with you re the raisins :T hope the pregnancy is going well. x
    DFW Nerd 267. DEBT FREE 11.06.08
    Stick to It by R.B. Stanfield
    It matters not if you try and fail,
    And fail, and try again; But it matters much if you try and fail, And fail to try again.
  • Samanthas_2
    Options
    I have a tagine and use it in the oven for casseroles etc. Can you use them on the stove top on a gas flame? If so, do you put anything between the stove top and the tagine? Your lamb dish sounds gorgeous.

>>>>>>>
    Re:Quality Budget Durable Tagine?
    Emile Henry is a reputable brand however a 32cm one costs nearly £70.00
    plus £4.95 delivery.
    I need one to go on a electric stove top cooker which is halogen do I need a special diffuser or something for my kitchen taple top when serving as these get very hot apparrently.
    Prone to chipping/cracking

Is Emile Henry the only one you can take from the deep freezer and put directly on the cooker top?
    Any other brands appreciated.

I see that Lakeland.co.uk have one for £16.00 which according to reviews falls apart on their website does not work on halogen cooker yet their Customer Service is excellent(sarcasm intended) :)

How does a tagine compare with an award winning Nu wave Oven fron https://www.Bestdirect.tv
    ?

Thanks,

Samantha
  • Samanthas_2
    Options
    thriftlady wrote: »
    I've seen them, but every cookbook I own that has a tagine recipe in says that an ordinary casserole is just as good :) . What do you think Odds -worth it or not ?

>>>

http://www.cookwareessentials.co.uk/Emile-Henry-37-5532-EHR1098.html

£70.00 plus £4.95 delivery seems excessive
    I have heard that professional chefs use tagines in their restaurants.

Is the high cost justified considering you can get a casserole dish or an award winning Nuwave Oven rated by American Airlines and American Culinary Association Nu wave oven in Black Colour mind you for only £49.95 from https://www.bestdirect.tv

Whats the down side the plastic domes have a tendency to crack after 6 months be sure to oven a spare dome for £9.95 kill two birds with the one stone

White Nuwave Ovens Cost More :)

Back to tagines any advice on them appreciated.

best value where to buy or if to bother at all?

Regards,

Samantha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family