PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Waffles??? Mixes and recipes

I got a waffle machine for £9.99 from Tchibo thanks to a poster on MSE, it does come with a ew recipes but i was wondering if there are any posters on here with some good waffle recipes, that are easy to whip up in the morning???

TIA
Noli nothis permittere te terere
Bad Mothers Club Member No.665
[STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

Comments

• A standard sweet waffle mix made and then served with vanilla ice-cream and real Maple Syrup is my favourite (not in the morning though!) Mmmm waffles.

Otherwise try these:

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/bakingdesserts/hotpuds/articles/0,,164353_168854,00.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • J_Tous
    J_Tous Posts: 21 Forumite
    I have used the waffle recipe in the link given above and it works fine for me.

One of my favourite easy toppings is banana and maple syrup, or banana and jam.

The only problem I have which I haven't solved yet (still being a novice waffle-maker) is that if you make a few waffles and stack them on a plate they go soggy like pancakes, and you really need them crispy. So the answer seems to be to eat them straight away but then someone has to stand there making them! Let me know if you come up with a solution!
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The instruction book with mine suggests putting them on a cake rack or grill, so they don't go soggy.
    [STRIKE]Student MoneySaving Club member 026![/STRIKE] Teacher now and still Moneysaving:D

• Alison_B
    Alison_B Posts: 2,124 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I make waffles for my son every morning. It makes 4 waffles and I make sure that I grease the machine thoroughly with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and then leave for 10 minutes to heat up. I mix 45g plain flour with 1 egg and 1/4 pint of skimmed milk. I pour some mixture into the machine and let them cook, then I add 1 teaspoon of green & blacks cocoa powder into the remaining batter mixture for chocolate waffles. He has these every morning with tinned fruit.

I have found the trick is to get the irons as hot as you possibly can (like cooking yorkshire puddings) and then leave them to cook for about 5 minutes without opening the machine, that way the waffles are solid and crispy rather than soft like pancakes.
  • summerday
    summerday Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    My fave is nutella and sliced banana, mmmmmmm... you've made me wanna go and get my machine now cos I'm drooling!
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams :)
  • elisebutt65
    elisebutt65 Posts: 3,854 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    The waffle maker - that is.

Took ages to cook them and then they came out al limp - I left them in there for ages without lifting the lid, on full power, while i had a coffee - came back and they were still a bit limp and pallid.

Hmmm - think I may have to look for a more powerful model, am experimenting with a different recipe tomorrow - see if that make a difference.

• catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Could you crisp them up under the grill? I freeze my cooked waffles individually and then pop them under the grill for breakfast.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • elisebutt65 - have you persevered with the waffle maker? I have a friend in Germany who's bought that same Tchibo one (weird coincidence that she and I found and ordered them independently at the same time, and she's not even on MSE!), and she's thrilled to bits with it, having used the recipes in the booklet. She says they've all come out crisp and golden and scrummy. She's a real foodie, too, so any sub-standard gadgetry goes STRAIGHT back if it doesn't do what she wants it to!

I've received mine but not made any yet, will try at the weekend...
  • Do Tchibo still have these (I had a quick look but couldn't find it). I am reluctant to clutter the kitchen with yet another gadget but I love waffles and it's only a tenner. :)
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business