Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 14th Aug 05, 8:29 PM
    • 3,793Posts
    • 7,289Thanks
    elisebutt65
    Waffles???
    • 14th Aug 05, 8:29 PM
    Waffles??? 14th Aug 05 at 8:29 PM
    I got a waffle machine for 9.99 from Tchibo thanks to a poster on MSE, it does come with a ew recipes but i was wondering if there are any posters on here with some good waffle recipes, that are easy to whip up in the morning???

TIA
Page 1
  • competitionscafe
    • 14th Aug 05, 10:31 PM
    • 14th Aug 05, 10:31 PM
    A standard sweet waffle mix made and then served with vanilla ice-cream and real Maple Syrup is my favourite (not in the morning though!) Mmmm waffles.

Otherwise try these:

http://www.ivillage.co.uk/food/bakingdesserts/hotpuds/articles/0,,164353_168854,00.html
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • J_Tous
    • 15th Aug 05, 4:10 PM
    • 15th Aug 05, 4:10 PM
    I have used the waffle recipe in the link given above and it works fine for me.

One of my favourite easy toppings is banana and maple syrup, or banana and jam.

The only problem I have which I haven't solved yet (still being a novice waffle-maker) is that if you make a few waffles and stack them on a plate they go soggy like pancakes, and you really need them crispy. So the answer seems to be to eat them straight away but then someone has to stand there making them! Let me know if you come up with a solution!
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 15th Aug 05, 4:21 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    • 15th Aug 05, 4:21 PM
    • 15th Aug 05, 4:21 PM
    The instruction book with mine suggests putting them on a cake rack or grill, so they don't go soggy.
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 15th Aug 05, 4:25 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alison_B
    • 15th Aug 05, 4:25 PM
    • 15th Aug 05, 4:25 PM
    I make waffles for my son every morning. It makes 4 waffles and I make sure that I grease the machine thoroughly with 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil and then leave for 10 minutes to heat up. I mix 45g plain flour with 1 egg and 1/4 pint of skimmed milk. I pour some mixture into the machine and let them cook, then I add 1 teaspoon of green & blacks cocoa powder into the remaining batter mixture for chocolate waffles. He has these every morning with tinned fruit.

I have found the trick is to get the irons as hot as you possibly can (like cooking yorkshire puddings) and then leave them to cook for about 5 minutes without opening the machine, that way the waffles are solid and crispy rather than soft like pancakes.
    • summerday
    • By summerday 15th Aug 05, 5:41 PM
    • 1,312 Posts
    • 2,175 Thanks
    summerday
    • 15th Aug 05, 5:41 PM
    • 15th Aug 05, 5:41 PM
    My fave is nutella and sliced banana, mmmmmmm... you've made me wanna go and get my machine now cos I'm drooling!
    Yesterday is today's memories, tomorrow is today's dreams
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 16th Aug 05, 7:28 PM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alison_B
    • 16th Aug 05, 7:28 PM
    • 16th Aug 05, 7:28 PM
    Why can't we have great waffle makers like in the USA?

http://cgi.ebay.com/VillaWare-Mickey-Mouse-Then-Now-Waffle-Maker-Disney_W0QQitemZ4399755049QQcategoryZ20683QQssPage NameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 16th Aug 05, 8:05 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    • 16th Aug 05, 8:05 PM
    It's not very good
    • 16th Aug 05, 8:05 PM
    The waffle maker - that is.

Took ages to cook them and then they came out al limp - I left them in there for ages without lifting the lid, on full power, while i had a coffee - came back and they were still a bit limp and pallid.

Hmmm - think I may have to look for a more powerful model, am experimenting with a different recipe tomorrow - see if that make a difference.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 17th Aug 05, 8:54 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 17th Aug 05, 8:54 AM
    • 17th Aug 05, 8:54 AM
    Could you crisp them up under the grill? I freeze my cooked waffles individually and then pop them under the grill for breakfast.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Loadsabob
    elisebutt65 - have you persevered with the waffle maker? I have a friend in Germany who's bought that same Tchibo one (weird coincidence that she and I found and ordered them independently at the same time, and she's not even on MSE!), and she's thrilled to bits with it, having used the recipes in the booklet. She says they've all come out crisp and golden and scrummy. She's a real foodie, too, so any sub-standard gadgetry goes STRAIGHT back if it doesn't do what she wants it to!

I've received mine but not made any yet, will try at the weekend...
    Last edited by Loadsabob; 03-04-2006 at 1:20 PM.
  • competitionscafe
    Do Tchibo still have these (I had a quick look but couldn't find it). I am reluctant to clutter the kitchen with yet another gadget but I love waffles and it's only a tenner.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Loadsabob
    Ooh, I don't know, I just had a search around there for you, and it doesn't seem so. They were easy to find by searching "waffle" before. I know they say they update their stock every Wednesday...maybe they're all gone? I only just recommended it to my brother, too, so he may be disappointed...they DID have two kinds...I'd keep checking from time to time...
  • Loadsabob
    Well, I christened the machine at the weekend and have been really happy with the results! I used a thick pancake mix with a bit of vanilla extract in, and have been eating them with butter and maple syrup - sinful!!

They've not been as crunchy as I'd like - but I made them with all milk, and have since read that if you make them with water you get a crunchier batter, so I'll be trying that. I found they coloured really well on 5 (out of a possible 6) - even "catching" a little when there was a full lot of batter in the irons.

Really great, though I will be experimenting with the recipe, and I don't really think a straight pancake mixture is what I'm after - I want my waffles to taste different to pancakes. I'm on a quest to match the Waffle House of Norwich recipe!

Recommended, though! (Even though Tchibo don't seem to have them at the moment -perhaps they will again!)
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 13th Sep 05, 11:12 AM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    WEll I perservvered and now use my every Sunday morning - just a tad healthier thatn the usual =Sunday fry-up - LOL

I make it with all milk instead of water, otherwise they come out pale, and have adapted the recipe that came with it - otherwise there's enough batter for about 10 people!!!

Butter, eggs, sugar, ground almonds, flour and milk, all whipped up together and left for 30 mins and then about 8 mins in the waffle iron.

I spread with butter, cinnamon and honey - yum!!
  • Loadsabob
    Mmn...sounds yummy! Yes, I did think the recipe in the book may feed the five thousand! I used the pancake recipe from the ivillage site, but with melted butter in the batter instead of oil. I will try the one in the book, too, but I didn't have any ground almonds. I seem to like anything batter related - I could happily have yorkshire puddings with every meal!

I'm glad they're turning out well for you now!
    • larmy16
    • By larmy16 26th Mar 06, 9:14 AM
    • 4,218 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    larmy16
    Waffle mix.
    Hi all.

The waffle maker is back on sale in Tchibo and of course I HAD to get it! Thing is in the "recipe" book there was just one! It was for pizza waffles which is not what I want!!

Has anyone got any suggestions. I have looked back over some old threads, but I am hoping to find a recipe that tastes nearish to the waffles you can buy in the shops. They have some distinctive taste but I cannot work out what it is - cinamonn??? Maple syrup???

I understand that it is best to let the iron heat up well before and it is some trial and error, but someone out there may have perfected the art and I would love to hear their best advice Thanks
    Grocery Challenge 139/240 until 31/01
    Taking part in Sealed Pot No.819/2011
    Only essentials on Ebay/Amazon

• chrislee765
    • By chrislee765 26th Mar 06, 10:01 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 155 Thanks
    chrislee765
    Id be interested to know what the waffles come out like, i looked at buying one of these
    -------
    Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
    -------
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 26th Mar 06, 10:06 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    We have an older thread from last year that has some recipes and good links in, so as you can see, I have merged your query on to the end of it. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning

Good luck
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 26th Mar 06, 3:59 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Zziggi
    http://www.tchibo.co.uk/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/uk/-/GBP/TdUkDisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=U2hD2B32P_dD2VnQ6oRJvB5iguZEkCvkodU=?Pro ductID=6qMKZAOiCo4AAAEJMXSwtU0G&BackTo=Search

is this the one everyone has got (it's 12.99) or is it a different one....

has anyone got a free delivery code please?
    Last edited by Zziggi; 26-03-2006 at 4:27 PM.
    • savvy
    • By savvy 26th Mar 06, 4:13 PM
    • 30,167 Posts
    • 46,850 Thanks
    savvy
    Hi I had this conversation back in 2004 with a poster, I think Purplemoon, anyway this is what she posted back then;

German cream waffles. I make half this amount- but the mixture really does go down well.... I think I might have had a problem with the recipe and adjusted it (the batter was too stiff or something?). Worked well anyway and lovely, lovely taste...... The notes within are stepmom's.

"SahneWaffeln (Cream waffles):

250 g butter (about half a pound)
    100 g sugar (1/3 cup plus 2 tbsp)
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    4 egg yolks
    250 g flour (2 and 1/4cups; I use all purpose, Oetker uses half cake flour)
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 liter cream (I hadn't realized it asked for cream and used milk up to now)
    4 egg whites
    Cream the butter, gradually add the sugar, vanilla, egg yolks; mix dry
    ingredients and add alternately with the liquid ( milk or cream ); fold
    under the beaten / stiff egg whites.
    (Funny there isn't any salt; if your butter is unsalted, I'd add 1/4 tsp
    salt).

It's very much a cake-like recipe; makes nice 'crisp' and pretty waffles (clear waffle imprint)."

I also like the fact that this recipe uses an equal amount of yolk to whites. I have a healthy version here too if you want it. Hope recipe works for you.

Re: waffle recipe/s

Well, I probably added some milk to the last one if it didn't look right to me!! "If you want a healthier version (not as pretty or as crisp) High protein (low calorie) waffles:

1 cup cream style cottage cheese
    4 eggs (or reduce to two large eggs)
    1/2 cup flour (my notes here say I sometimes increased this to a cup)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 cup oil (may reduce this)
    1/2 cup milk (increase to 3/4 cup if flour is increased)
    1/2 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a blender and whirl at high speed 1 minute. (Or beat well with rotary beater or mixer instead of blender)."

Last edited by savvy; 26-03-2006 at 4:15 PM.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm

I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

99Posts Today

1,729Users online

Martin's Twitter