Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Stephen B
    • By MSE Stephen B 10th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    • 60Posts
    • 12Thanks
    MSE Stephen B
    Apple announces new iPhone 11 and 11 Pro how to cut costs - MSE News
    • 10th Sep 19, 7:32 PM
    Apple announces new iPhone 11 and 11 Pro how to cut costs - MSE News 10th Sep 19 at 7:32 PM
    Tech giant Apple has unveiled its range of new iPhones, the iPhone 11, the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. It's also cut the price of its current models including the iPhone XR and iPhone 8....
    Read the full story:
    Apple announces new iPhone 11 and 11 Pro how to cut costs''

Click reply below to discuss. If you havent already, join the forum to reply.
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 11th Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    • 4,500 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 11th Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 9:18 AM
    Best way to cut costs is to not be a mug and buy the 'latest & greatest' iPhone.
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 11th Sep 19, 9:41 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    SonOfPearl
    • 11th Sep 19, 9:41 AM
    • 11th Sep 19, 9:41 AM
    Best way to cut costs is to not be a mug and buy the 'latest & greatest' iPhone.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Agreed. And I don't think this is emphasised enough in the news story. Hardly anyone really *needs* a premium phone. For most people (including me) a smartphone costing less than 200, coupled with a good SIM-free deal is more than adequate.
    • Pluto88888
    • By Pluto88888 11th Sep 19, 3:40 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    Pluto88888
    • 11th Sep 19, 3:40 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 3:40 PM
    Awaits for EE,Three,o2 phone contracts costing around 100+
    • VT82
    • By VT82 11th Sep 19, 3:56 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 889 Thanks
    VT82
    • 11th Sep 19, 3:56 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 3:56 PM
    After reading this, I tried to find out what the features of the 'new' model were.

Apart from broadly cosmetic stuff like casing colours (ooh wow), screen material (ooh harder, bet it still smashes easily enough), an extra hour of battery life (i.e. an extra 10 minutes of actual use), a 'faster' processor (if you say so), I could not find a single improvement that wasn't related to the camera.

Are people who buy an iPhone 11 buying a phone or a camera?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 11th Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 11th Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 4:15 PM
    My iPhone SE, bought new outright and SIM free just over 3 years ago has a trade-in value of 30. It is in perfect working order and yet is worthless in monetary terms.

The new iPhones still have built to fail lithium ion batteries and lack 5G. The 2020 iPhone is expected to include 5G, rendering the current must have 1000 iPhones obsolete in 12 months.

Bear that in mind when rushing to spend up to 1000 on an iPhone, or the equivalent in a finance deal.
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Sep 19, 5:13 PM
    • 8,016 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    d123
    • 11th Sep 19, 5:13 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 5:13 PM
    After reading this, I tried to find out what the features of the 'new' model were.

Apart from broadly cosmetic stuff like casing colours (ooh wow), screen material (ooh harder, bet it still smashes easily enough), an extra hour of battery life* (i.e. an extra 10 minutes of actual use), a 'faster' processor (if you say so), I could not find a single improvement that wasn't related to the camera.

Are people who buy an iPhone 11 buying a phone or a camera?
    Originally posted by VT82
    *extra 4 hours (11 Pro) and 5 hours (11 Pro Max) battery life.
    ====
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 11th Sep 19, 6:29 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Highland76
    • 11th Sep 19, 6:29 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 6:29 PM
    Indeed. Just buy a Goophone! Its looks like the the latest & greatest iphone, runs Android OS and above all, costs a teeny weeny fraction of the real thing. Whats not to like?

https://www.goophoneshops.com/100057/
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 11th Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    • 4,167 Posts
    • 2,247 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    • 11th Sep 19, 8:23 PM
    seems expensive for very old and poor spec

e.g. 1GB & 8GB ??
    • d123
    • By d123 11th Sep 19, 9:05 PM
    • 8,016 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    d123

e.g. 1GB & 8GB ??
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    Agreed, a bottom of the barrel cheapie and they are most known for the fact they make blatant rip-off copies of iPhone, Samsungs etc.

For that money a decent Chinese phone is easily bought eg Xiaomi, Huawei or Honor.
    ====
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 12th Sep 19, 4:29 AM
    • 1,353 Posts
    • 1,060 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Where's the Google pixel 3a rival?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • prowla
    • By prowla 12th Sep 19, 5:26 AM
    • 10,575 Posts
    • 9,341 Thanks
    prowla
    Who cares whether some people want a cheap phone, some prefer other brands, some think it's disgusting that others will spend 1k on a phone, some just don't like Apple?

This is for people who are interested in the iPhone range.
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 12th Sep 19, 7:50 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Highland76

e.g. 1GB & 8GB ??
    Originally posted by ballyblack
    I was being sarcastic
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 12th Sep 19, 7:54 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Highland76
    Who cares whether some people want a cheap phone, some prefer other brands, some think it's disgusting that others will spend 1k on a phone, some just don't like Apple?

Originally posted by prowla
    Well said sir
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Sep 19, 8:23 AM
    • 4,500 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

Originally posted by prowla
    We're trying to educate the people who would otherwise just queue up and spend another grand on an iPhone, some people can't be helped though
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Sep 19, 8:24 AM
    • 4,500 Posts
    • 2,617 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I was being sarcastic
    Originally posted by Highland76
    I actually thought that was a spoof website, they're real then?
    • mobilejunkie
    • By mobilejunkie 12th Sep 19, 9:24 AM
    • 8,210 Posts
    • 2,827 Thanks
    mobilejunkie
    We're trying to educate the people who would otherwise just queue up and spend another grand on an iPhone, some people can't be helped though
    You must have some sympathy for those who fall in love and then are completely and unscrupulously manipulated by the target of their affection.
    • Highland76
    • By Highland76 12th Sep 19, 12:08 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    Highland76
    Surely people should have the right to spend the money on whatever THEY choose? Otherwised its no different to suggest folks should stop buying Miele/Bosch home appliances and instead buy cheap Beko stuff instead, after all a washing machine is a washing machine right? Or a bit like trying to say to those lucky enough able to afford a 50k Mercedes, that they should instead buy a Ford Fiesta, after all a car is a car?
    Last edited by Highland76; 12-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.
    • d123
    • By d123 12th Sep 19, 12:53 PM
    • 8,016 Posts
    • 5,232 Thanks
    d123
    Surely people should have the right to spend the money on whatever THEY choose? Otherwised its no different to suggest folks should stop buying Miele/Bosch home appliances and instead buy cheap Beko stuff instead, after all a washing machine is a washing machine right? Or a bit like trying to say to those lucky enough able to afford a 50k Mercedes, that they should instead buy a Ford Fiesta, after all a car is a car?
    Originally posted by Highland76
    A Ford Fiesta? How can you waste money like that? You should know a Dacia Sandero is all you need and it does the same job!

We're trying to educate the people who would otherwise just queue up and spend another few grand on a Ford Fiesta, some people can't be helped though

====
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 12th Sep 19, 1:32 PM
    • 3,407 Posts
    • 1,904 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    unlucky enough able to afford a 50k Mercedes,

Fixed that.
    R.I.P. U.K. Democracy.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

36Posts Today

2,461Users online

Martin's Twitter