Apple announces new iPhone 11 and 11 Pro – how to cut costs - MSE News

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
30 replies 4.1K views
MSE_Stephen_BMSE_Stephen_B MSE Staff
69 posts
Second Anniversary
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mobiles
Tech giant Apple has unveiled its range of new iPhones, the iPhone 11, the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. It's also cut the price of its current models including the iPhone XR and iPhone 8....
Read the full story:
Apple announces new iPhone 11 and 11 Pro – how to cut costs''
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Best way to cut costs is to not be a mug and buy the 'latest & greatest' iPhone.
  • SonOfPearlSonOfPearl Forumite
    106 posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Best way to cut costs is to not be a mug and buy the 'latest & greatest' iPhone.

Agreed. And I don't think this is emphasised enough in the news story. Hardly anyone really *needs* a premium phone. For most people (including me) a smartphone costing less than £200, coupled with a good SIM-free deal is more than adequate.
  • Awaits for EE,Three,o2 phone contracts costing around £100+
  • VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    After reading this, I tried to find out what the features of the 'new' model were.

Apart from broadly cosmetic stuff like casing colours (ooh wow), screen material (ooh harder, bet it still smashes easily enough), an extra hour of battery life (i.e. an extra 10 minutes of actual use), a 'faster' processor (if you say so), I could not find a single improvement that wasn't related to the camera.

Are people who buy an iPhone 11 buying a phone or a camera?
  • Frozen_up_northFrozen_up_north Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    My iPhone SE, bought new outright and SIM free just over 3 years ago has a trade-in value of £30. It is in perfect working order and yet is “worthless” in monetary terms.

The new iPhones still have “built to fail” lithium ion batteries and lack 5G. The 2020 iPhone is expected to include 5G, rendering the current “must have” £1000 iPhones obsolete in 12 months.

Bear that in mind when rushing to spend up to £1000 on an iPhone, or the equivalent in a finance deal.
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    VT82 wrote: »
    After reading this, I tried to find out what the features of the 'new' model were.

Apart from broadly cosmetic stuff like casing colours (ooh wow), screen material (ooh harder, bet it still smashes easily enough), an extra hour of battery life* (i.e. an extra 10 minutes of actual use), a 'faster' processor (if you say so), I could not find a single improvement that wasn't related to the camera.

Are people who buy an iPhone 11 buying a phone or a camera?

*extra 4 hours (11 Pro) and 5 hours (11 Pro Max) battery life.
    ====
  • Highland76Highland76 Forumite
    330 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭

Indeed. Just buy a Goophone! Its looks like the the latest & greatest iphone, runs Android OS and above all, costs a teeny weeny fraction of the real thing. Whats not to like? :rotfl:

Capture.jpg

https://www.goophoneshops.com/100057/
  • ballyblackballyblack Forumite
    4.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    seems expensive for very old and poor spec

e.g. 1GB & 8GB ??
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ballyblack wrote: »
    seems expensive for very old and poor spec

e.g. 1GB & 8GB ??

Agreed, a bottom of the barrel cheapie and they are most known for the fact they make blatant rip-off copies of iPhone, Samsungs etc.

For that money a decent Chinese phone is easily bought eg Xiaomi, Huawei or Honor.
    ====
  • ididntgetwhereiamtodayididntgetwhereiamtoday Forumite
    1.6K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Where's the Google pixel 3a rival?
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com