Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 13th Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    • 198Posts
    • 85Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I let my girlfriend's friend have our 'free' flight?
    • 13th Aug 19, 2:59 PM
    0 WOW
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I let my girlfriend's friend have our 'free' flight? 13th Aug 19 at 2:59 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

My girlfriend and I earned a British Airways companion voucher through our everyday spending on her credit card. Ideally we'd go on a trip together, but she suggested she takes a friend instead. They would both still pay taxes, but one ticket would be paid for in Avios points, the other would be 'free'. Is this fair on me?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Aug 19, 3:32 PM
    • 4,821 Posts
    • 2,925 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:32 PM
    Is this fair on me?
    Originally posted by MSE Sarah
    In a relationship, the reason for the need to ask such a thing is probably a more meaningful thing to look for...
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 13th Aug 19, 3:52 PM
    • 515 Posts
    • 512 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:52 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 3:52 PM
    Does the friend know that one of the flights is funded via points and the other is a companion voucher?

Where in the world are they flying? Big difference in points and APD based upon short haul and long haul.

What class are they flying? Y, W, J, F?

Who's funding the Avios portion - your GF's friend will need to be a linked Friend and Family account to your BAEC account.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 13th Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    • 4,721 Posts
    • 11,936 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 4:21 PM
    Depends on whether the voucher is due to expire shortly.

Personally I'd be miffed if my hubby wanted to take a friend using the companion voucher and the avios points.......though I think it would be the avios points that was the deal breaker for me
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Aug 19, 6:06 PM
    • 6,223 Posts
    • 5,668 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 13th Aug 19, 6:06 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 6:06 PM
    maybe she's just not that into you... see post #2
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • Janet Martin
    • By Janet Martin 13th Aug 19, 7:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Janet Martin
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:15 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:15 PM
    I'd be livid, I think you need to find a new girlfriend!
    • bobsled0490gmail.com
    • By bobsled0490gmail.com 13th Aug 19, 7:26 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bobsled0490gmail.com
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:26 PM
    Is this a serious question?
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:26 PM
    The viewpoints are all in agreement - if she doesn't want to spend time with you on holiday, something is wrong.

Would you turn her down and take your mate instead? There is obviously something seriously wrong with her viewpoint of you.
    • phoebe03cat
    • By phoebe03cat 13th Aug 19, 7:29 PM
    • 872 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    phoebe03cat
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:29 PM
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:29 PM
    as above ...its a no brainer
    • gerryseaton
    • By gerryseaton 13th Aug 19, 7:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gerryseaton
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:50 PM
    Gerry
    • 13th Aug 19, 7:50 PM
    It really depends on how much you love your girlfriend! If that flight for her friend is more important than she is, then moan, but if she is more important that a free flight, let her and her friend go. Sometimes there are more important things in life. Plus, she will think you are wonderful letting her friend have the flight. Good luck.
    Since writing this I read the comments above. They seem more interested in the flight. My reason is, whats more important. Its only a flight. As I said before, good luck.
    Last edited by gerryseaton; 13-08-2019 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Wanted to add to my comment
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Aug 19, 7:56 PM
    • 19,521 Posts
    • 49,580 Thanks
    elsien
    The viewpoints are all in agreement - if she doesn't want to spend time with you on holiday, something is wrong.

Would you turn her down and take your mate instead? There is obviously something seriously wrong with her viewpoint of you.
    Originally posted by bobsled0490gmail.com
    Not neccessarily the case at all. One of my friends love holidays chilling a beach in a very hot part of the world, which is her husband's idea of hell. Holidays generally are his idea of hell. They have family holidays together but she also holidays with me while her husband looks after the kids. They are both happy with the arrangements so it's not an issue.
    It's only a problem if one person wants to go together and the other says no.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 13th Aug 19, 9:14 PM
    • 4,797 Posts
    • 8,169 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I think the very fact you need to ask the question on here says all you need to know, OP. Why are you not having this discussion with your girlfriend?

This is not a moral dilemma; it is a personal one.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • TheCaptain
    • By TheCaptain 13th Aug 19, 9:26 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TheCaptain
    Me thinks ya need a new girlfriend!
    • PSE
    • By PSE 13th Aug 19, 9:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    PSE
    Actually the deal isn’t quite as good as it sounds. Her friend will not just have to pay tax but also ‘other charges’ which can inflate the flight cost dramatically. Even with the two-for-one saving on Avios flights in Economy can often be more expensive once the other charges have been added compared to a standard flight booking for two, particularly if booed in advance. This is particularly the case in flights to the US for example.
    • REJP
    • By REJP 13th Aug 19, 9:48 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    REJP
    Air fares
    If you have to ask this so called dilemma, why firstly are you buying on her credit card, secondly how much is your friendship worth.
    Does she trust you enough to make purchases on her card without worrying you might clear off leaving her to pay your bills?
    Is there a hint of trying to be a control freak or jealousy in this...?
    • Jayson642
    • By Jayson642 13th Aug 19, 9:56 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Jayson642
    The voucher is for her and another person so it's her call, sounds like she prefers her friend's company. Is it fair? Is life fair?
    • Pay_me
    • By Pay_me 13th Aug 19, 10:28 PM
    • 172 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Pay_me
    Needs more context.

There is nothing wrong with going away without your partner at times in fact it's normal and healthy especially if you both have different ideas of a holiday. As long you still do stuff together as a couple and get couple time away from the normal day to day life then I don't see the problem.

Most couples I know go away together and without each other at various points through the year.

Some people commenting on here seem very insecure and clingy!!
    • telsco
    • By telsco 14th Aug 19, 12:29 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    telsco
    Her credit card = her points = her voucher.
    End of dilemma.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 14th Aug 19, 5:17 AM
    • 8,847 Posts
    • 14,520 Thanks
    jackieblack
    This should be on the relationships board, not the travel board.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

MFW #4
    (2018 £866.89 OPd)
    YTD £873.85 (£600 offset)
    Jan £105.26, Feb £103.31,Mar £135.77, Apr £104.51, May £100, June £100,
    July £120.64, Aug £104.36

Everything will be alright in the end so, if itís not yet alright, it means itís not yet the end
    • Gervais3232
    • By Gervais3232 14th Aug 19, 6:55 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gervais3232
    My partner and I often take separate holidays, itís important for our independence and well being. By enabling her and her friend to make use of this opportunity your selfless act may bring untold wealth in other ways. Life canít always be measured in financial terms and sometimes itís about how much kindness we give and receive. If the writing is on the wall for your relationship itís already on the wall, but you will know soon enough whether you are being taken advantage of or whether she has someone who is thoughtful, supportive and respects her choices in life. Go with it, youíll soon get your answer.
    • stmartinsdiver
    • By stmartinsdiver 14th Aug 19, 8:23 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    stmartinsdiver
    Longer term view
    Over the years I too have known several couples who took separate holidays - none of them are any longer together as they all met someone more compatible whilst on their solo holidays. As an earlier post already said, "the writing is already on the wall".
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,803Posts Today

6,181Users online

Martin's Twitter