Money Moral Dilemma: Should I let my girlfriend's friend have our 'free' flight?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My girlfriend and I earned a British Airways companion voucher through our everyday spending on her credit card. Ideally we'd go on a trip together, but she suggested she takes a friend instead. They would both still pay taxes, but one ticket would be paid for in Avios points, the other would be 'free'. Is this fair on me?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Follow MSE on other Social Media: MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram, Threads, Join the MSE ForumGet the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mailReport inappropriate posts: click the report buttonFlag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MSE_Sarah wrote: »
    Is this fair on me?
    In a relationship, the reason for the need to ask such a thing is probably a more meaningful thing to look for...
    Evolution, not revolution
  • CardinalWolsey
    Options
    Does the friend know that one of the flights is funded via points and the other is a companion voucher?

Where in the world are they flying? Big difference in points and APD based upon short haul and long haul.

What class are they flying? Y, W, J, F?

Who's funding the Avios portion - your GF's friend will need to be a linked Friend and Family account to your BAEC account.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Depends on whether the voucher is due to expire shortly.

Personally I'd be miffed if my hubby wanted to take a friend using the companion voucher and the avios points.......though I think it would be the avios points that was the deal breaker for me
  • mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    maybe she's just not that into you... see post #2
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Janet_Martin
    Options
    I'd be livid, I think you need to find a new girlfriend!
  • The viewpoints are all in agreement - if she doesn't want to spend time with you on holiday, something is wrong.

Would you turn her down and take your mate instead? There is obviously something seriously wrong with her viewpoint of you.
  • phoebe03cat
    Options
    as above ...its a no brainer
  • gerryseaton
    gerryseaton Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 August 2019 at 8:54PM
    Options
    It really depends on how much you love your girlfriend! If that flight for her friend is more important than she is, then moan, but if she is more important that a free flight, let her and her friend go. Sometimes there are more important things in life. Plus, she will think you are wonderful letting her friend have the flight. Good luck.
    Since writing this I read the comments above. They seem more interested in the flight. My reason is, whats more important. Its only a flight. As I said before, good luck.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The viewpoints are all in agreement - if she doesn't want to spend time with you on holiday, something is wrong.

Would you turn her down and take your mate instead? There is obviously something seriously wrong with her viewpoint of you.

Not neccessarily the case at all. One of my friends love holidays chilling a beach in a very hot part of the world, which is her husband's idea of hell. Holidays generally are his idea of hell. They have family holidays together but she also holidays with me while her husband looks after the kids. They are both happy with the arrangements so it's not an issue.
    It's only a problem if one person wants to go together and the other says no.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think the very fact you need to ask the question on here says all you need to know, OP. Why are you not having this discussion with your girlfriend?

This is not a moral dilemma; it is a personal one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure