Money Moral Dilemma: Should I let my girlfriend's friend have our 'free' flight?

124»

Comments

• Over the years I too have known several couples who took separate holidays - none of them are any longer together as they all met someone more compatible whilst on their solo holidays. As an earlier post already said, "the writing is already on the wall".

Better cancel my 30th wedding anniversary trip then as I'm planning a month away on my own next year
  • if you have earned the points together than you spend them together. unless you are very kind and generous and maybe taken for a ride!! suggest YOU go away with a friend using the points and see whats is said.
  • Having time apart is important and is far from the "writing on the wall" scenario, unless of course you don't trust her, in which case there's no point being in the relationship. It's unhealthy and unnatural to live in each others pockets.

I know at no point in our relationship has my husband ever been miffed or considered it the "writing on the wall" because I've wanted to do something without him, and vice versa. I've been away with friends, and he's currently actively encouraging me to go away for a week with my best friend because he thinks it would do me good. He'd pay for it as well.
  • SallyB21
    SallyB21 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    There is insufficient detail here for a sensible reply. Will the voucher expire soon and she has leave left but you don't? Does she plan to go somewhere you would absolutely hate so won't go with her? Has the girlfriend got very little money whereas you are better off so she wants to help her friend? Has girlfriend been having an appallingly bad time lately and needs a break?

The way your letter has been truncated makes you sound like a petty whinger, which is no doubt unfair. And surely you can extract an assurance that when you get a voucher on your own credit card you can have a boys-only holiday on it? Sit down and talk to each other instead of behaving like a soap opera.
  • JayD
    JayD Posts: 698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    This is your girlfriend ... so why not explain your feelings about this to her and talk about it together? After all, you say you both earned this voucher and you are clearly unhappy with your girlfriend's current suggestion. Maybe you could both come to some arrangement whereby you both go as a couple or else the 'companion' makes a contribution towards their ticket.
  • SallyB21 wrote: »
    There is insufficient detail here for a sensible reply. Will the voucher expire soon and she has leave left but you don't? Does she plan to go somewhere you would absolutely hate so won't go with her? Has the girlfriend got very little money whereas you are better off so she wants to help her friend? Has girlfriend been having an appallingly bad time lately and needs a break?
    And that's the problem with all these MMDs.

No context to give a sensible answer
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Perfectly fair. What is your name - Scrooge?
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 25 August 2019 at 8:32AM
    Tell her you wanted the free flight to go away on a lads weekend.

Either way, the friend should pay half the total flight costs for the two people.

Otherwise your girlfriend could use the free flight and the fired pay full price
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure