are smart meters a scam

Options
Someone at work said that the reason eon are trying to force everyone onto smart meters is because once you are on a smart meter you can not switch supplier

Is he right or not?
Thanks
TT

Comments

• bengalknights
    bengalknights Posts: 5,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    False you can switch anytime and with SMETS2 you keep the smart functionality.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Someone at work said that the reason eon are trying to force everyone onto smart meters is because once you are on a smart meter you can not switch supplier

Is he right or not?
    Thanks
    TT

Hello tibalytipples and welcome to the Forums.

As bengalknights says, customers with smart meters can switch supplier at any time.

Previously, their meters would've returned to a traditional type and lost certain smart features like sending us readings automatically. The SMETS2 meters we're now installing retain their smart features after a switch.

We're also planning to upgrade many of the earlier SMETS1 meters we've already installed so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes being able to send us readings. These upgrades will be done remotely and we've started a trial run. It also includes smart meters we didn't install and now supply.

Hope this explains tibalytipples. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 June 2019 at 3:54PM
    Options
    Energy companies are having to foist smart meters on customers who don't want them, otherwise they will be heavily fined and / or prevented from taking on new customers.

It's all about energy rationing at peak times because there won't be enough generating capacity as older power stations are decommissioned.

See the other thread for the details.
  • markin
    markin Posts: 3,848 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    A £14Billion scam yes, just who will pay for upgrading all the 11M SMETS1 meters?????
  • tibalytipples
    Options

We're also planning to upgrade many of the earlier SMETS1 meters we've already installed so they're managed in the same way as SMETS2. This includes being able to send us readings. These upgrades will be done remotely and we've started a trial run. It also includes smart meters we didn't install and now supply.

Malc
    Malc
    As you work for Eon, why are you so keep to get your customers to switch to smart meters?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Malc
    As you work for Eon, why are you so keep to get your customers to switch to smart meters?
    The answer to that question was given in post #4
    Gerry1 wrote: »
    Energy companies are having to foist smart meters on customers who don't want them, otherwise they will be heavily fined and / or prevented from taking on new customers.
  • Keith.A
    Options
    I've just switched to EON, no way will I allow a smets1 meter be installed, especially given that i'm being told they can be remotely updated, IF electric company can remotely update, and by inference control then a malign entity can do the same
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Malc

Sorry tibalytipples , I don't agree with your comment, at some stage in the future we all will have smart meters it may be 12 months or 12 years, I personally have not been forced by E.ON to change.

I will be changing in about 1 months time will then give feedback then.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • PennineAcute
    PennineAcute Posts: 1,161 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They are a scam if people want them to be a scam, by passing on false information about them. Now where are the tin foil brigade?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Keith.A wrote: »
    I've just switched to EON, no way will I allow a smets1 meter be installed, especially given that i'm being told they can be remotely updated, IF electric company can remotely update, and by inference control then a malign entity can do the same

Presumably you're not using mobile phones, tablets, laptops, PCs or smart TVs either?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure