Forum Home» Energy

are smart meters a scam - Page 6

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

are smart meters a scam

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
53 replies 4.7K views
12346»

Replies

• thorganbythorganby Forumite
    490 posts
    100 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    We didn't realise how much electricity some of our lights burnt in the house so it's changed our lighting habits and made me change some for LED's.

Light bulbs like all electrical items have a wattage rating i.e. a common 50W halogen bulb obviously uses ten times more electricity than an equivalent 5W LED bulb.

Surely you didn't need a smart meter to tell you that!
  • bertiewhitebertiewhite Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    thorganby wrote: »
    Light bulbs like all electrical items have a wattage rating i.e. a common 50W halogen bulb obviously uses ten times more electricity than an equivalent 5W LED bulb.

Surely you didn't need a smart meter to tell you that!

Yes, I'm aware of the wattage but I didn't realise how much a halogen bulb still burns compared to a tungsten filament (I thought they were much more efficient and it has certainly made the wife turn them off when not needed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    10,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I am a low user for both gas and electric and I monitor my usage monthly and give a reading online ,so I can see no benefit in having a meter. As i live alone and my yearly bill is normally around £450 per year I can see no point at all in having a smart meter