Forum Home» Energy

are smart meters a scam - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

are smart meters a scam

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Energy
53 replies 4.7K views

Replies

• SmodletSmodlet Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hardup49 wrote: »
    I have had problems for a few years

Also with your inability to use paragraphs rendering your post unreadable.

In answer to the question posed on this thread, from what I have read, the answer is, "Yes."
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    G_M is back.. Should never have been away.
  • TalldaveTalldave Forumite
    1.8K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hardup49 wrote: »
    I have had problems for a few years now with unexpected fluctuations in both Gas and Electricity usage shown on bills even though my usage remains more or less constant, certainly they do not vary enough in the same period of each year for some of the big differences I have seen. I have always provided meter readings myself at the correct intervals. It is only when I see the final bill and compare with previous bills that I notice the differences and I suspect I am not alone there. I have also found it impossible to get my previous provider or my current provider to actually look into the matter by checking meters, etc. So that does not suggest to me that Smart Meters are going to make things any better.........

And they won't make things any worse. The unexpected fluctuations will continue exactly as now.....the meters just measure them.
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    11.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way I see it is that if anybody is trying really hard to make me change, then they're not doing it for my benefit.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcFormer_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Malc
    As you work for Eon, why are you so keep to get your customers to switch to smart meters?

Morning tibalytipples and as others have said, we've a regulatory duty to offer smart meters to all our customers by 2020.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_MalcFormer_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Sorry tibalytipples , I don't agree with your comment, at some stage in the future we all will have smart meters it may be 12 months or 12 years, I personally have not been forced by E.ON to change.

I will be changing in about 1 months time will then give feedback then.

Hope all goes well with the exchange MoneyMate and look forward to your feedback.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    benny5 wrote: »
    Could I ask the E-ON rep a question?

What happens when the battery on the Gas Meter expires?

From what I’ve discovered, the meter stops reporting readings and the display fails leaving the user/supplier with no record of usage. In that scenario you have, at least, continuity of supply.

If you’re unlucky your gas supply is switched off when the battery dies.

Please can you confirm the position?
    benny5 wrote: »
    Is the E-ON Rep on leave?

Hello benny5 and I've replied to your question on this thread.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5948760&page=2

Thanks.

Malc
  • bertiewhitebertiewhite Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    leviathan wrote: »
    The reason is supposedly that you will magically save energy - you need to monitor it and adjust your eneregy use but that isn't clearly stated.

Actually, the EON (yes, EON) engineer who installed my smart meter in April specifically told me "people think that it will save them money when in fact all it does is monitor energy usage. It's up to the customer to save the money based on the energy usage."

Oh and it was entirely my choice to have a smart meter, at no point was I coerced into having one.
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the EON (yes, EON) engineer who installed my smart meter in April specifically told me "people think that it will save them money when in fact all it does is monitor energy usage. It's up to the customer to save the money based on the energy usage."

Oh and it was entirely my choice to have a smart meter, at no point was I coerced into having one.

Hello bertiewhite and hope your smart meter installation went well.

I agree with our technician. Smart meters themselves won't save a customer money. It's by raising awareness of energy usage through the information smart meters/displays provide where it's possible to highlight trends and encourage savings. This is particularly the case with customers not fully up to speed with their usage patterns.

Hope all's okay with your new meters bertiewhite.

Malc
  • AndyCFAndyCF Forumite
    738 posts
    500 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Agree with the above. I actually had one (requested one before they were starting to push them out) and got one. The IHD for it was in colour actually. It got changed about a year later for a regular 'token' meter.

I should point out I was probably in the "testing" phase as at the time I knew someone who worked for the company. They had one, and I asked if I could possibly get one, cut a long story short I did after a couple of phone calls. I did get some BonusBonds I think for my trouble though! :)

Moving on , yes they are simply so that you are *aware* of the costs you're using up, either actual kW consumption or perhaps cost per hour/day etc.

One thing I would actually be interested to know is I agreed to the hourly readings, I seem to recall someone saying that possible "suggestions" on how to reduce power use might be provided. I can't really see how as if you need to have appliance xyz on, you have to have it on. But I'd be interested as I say to hear if a rep can shed any light on 'feedback and advice for clients' with regard to short-time monitoring. :)
  • bertiewhitebertiewhite Forumite
    1.9K posts
    1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    AndyCF wrote: »

One thing I would actually be interested to know is I agreed to the hourly readings, I seem to recall someone saying that possible "suggestions" on how to reduce power use might be provided. I can't really see how as if you need to have appliance xyz on, you have to have it on. But I'd be interested as I say to hear if a rep can shed any light on 'feedback and advice for clients' with regard to short-time monitoring. :)

We didn't realise how much electricity some of our lights burnt in the house so it's changed our lighting habits and made me change some for LED's.