Jet 2 Seating allocation with child

Options

Comments

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    You'll almost certainly find someone willing to swap, and if not, Jet2 do move people, even those who paid for their seats, to sit families together. See https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g1-i10702-k5820751-Jet_2_Ejected_from_a_pre_booked_seat-Air_Travel.html

Great link. :T
    Do Jet2 still have the same policy 6 years on? :whistle
    And was it even policy?
    Or just a one-off decision by cabin crew?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Requesting a solo passenger to move seats to accommodate a split parent & child combo is a different scenario from asking a couple to do so.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Requesting a solo passenger to move seats to accommodate a split parent & child combo is a different scenario from asking a couple to do so.
    My wife and I would move if there was a parent and distressed child who were separated. We're not joined at the hip, we're going to spend an entire holiday 24/7 together so can cope being separated for a couple of hours.

Some people won't move willingly, but who cares, you only need a couple out of a planeload and you're sorted. And even if no-one wants to move, as per the link above the cabin crew can make people move who don't want to.

So OP - don't worry - you'll be OK.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options

Why?

If all the passengers being asked to move are adults I don't see that it makes a difference. If the solo passenger paid for a particular seat they probably had just as good a reason as the couple.

OP if you can't get seats together, sit the 11 year old at the front so that the cabin crew can have an eye on them and keep them safe in case of any emergency (hopefully won't be needed but better her be there than at the back alone if you're very unlucky.)
  • newbutold
    Options
    Ell76 wrote: »
    I booked a holiday last night with Jet 2 and immediately found that there are no remaining seats on the aircraft that will allow me and my 11 year old to sit together.... Pretty much the last person to book it seems.

Does anyone have any advise in this situation please?
    My daughter isn't the keenest of flyers, furthermore I enjoy the experience of sitting next to your nearest and dearest when you're off on a holiday adventure.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer... I called Jet 2 and the chap on the phone brazenly (and slightly condescendingly) advised it was "a shame" because I "Booked so late"

I don't agree with the whole paying for seat allocation thing but even when I was committing to do so, Jet 2 have said that all other seats are allocated for those that booked earlier.

Thanks in advance for any advice

I booked with Jet 2 last minute in August and there was no seats left together for my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 under 14s), there was 3 together but said that the occupants of these seats had to be over 14 so I didn’t pre book any seats. I normally always pay to book seats together but this time we booked the holiday 4 days before departure so not any choice left.

On check in they allocated my partner a seat on his own and had put me with my 2 children. Coming back they allocated me next to one child and my partner and other child next to each other but a few rows behind us.

So I’m presuming they moved other people’s seats at check in to do this. I’m guessing this is what they will do for you.
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • newbutold
    Options
    Looks like Jet 2 do move seats about to accommodate kids with parents. It also tells you when you prebook your seats that they aren’t guareented.

This family was moved as Colleen’s children were to young to sit on the back row, despite the guy claiming it was down to her being a celebrity.
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6984336/jet2-staff-move-family-coleen-rooney/
    If my posts have random wrong words, please blame the damn autocorrect not me :D
  • Ivrytwr3
    Ivrytwr3 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    lindens wrote: »
    I doubt very much passengers would just sit by and watch an 11 year old by herself.

Last year holiday with Thomson, 2 mums and about 5 or 6 kids between them kicked off before a 6 hour flight we were on.

They asked the stewardesses if they could be seated together, but the flight was full due it being school holidays. The mum's then started shouting at the crew saying they shouldn't have to pay to sit together and then started berating the passengers for not giving up their seats (i know we had paid extra to ensure we sat together).

I felt sorry for the kids as they were spread out up and down the plane, but the sense of entitlement from these 2 just made me NOT want to give up my seats.

Chavtastic!
  • FirstTimer4Me
    Options
    Trying to check-in online for the last 2 weeks with Jet2, just 2 adults.

Rather than pay for seat allocation, I've selected "you select"

No matter how many times I've selected "you select" during the check-in process, their selection is coming up with the same 2 seats, with the isle dividing us.

Very strange given the amount of "empty" seats on the seat selection page.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options

No matter how many times I've selected "you select" during the check-in process, their selection is coming up with the same 2 seats, with the isle dividing us.

Maybe Jet2 are another company who deliberately split couples up who don't pay for seats a la Ryanair.
    If being separated by 18" really bothers you, then pay.
    If it doesn't, don't pay.
    When some airlines offered 'seats together' (i.e just a guarantee (as far as that went) that your party would be sat together) as opposed to choosing specific seats, sitting across the aisle or one row behind was actually classed as 'seats together'.
    No idea if any airtime still does 'seats together'.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options

That is together, it's not like Ryanair who will usually put you in different parts of the plane.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure