Jet 2 Seating allocation with child

Options
I booked a holiday last night with Jet 2 and immediately found that there are no remaining seats on the aircraft that will allow me and my 11 year old to sit together.... Pretty much the last person to book it seems.

Does anyone have any advise in this situation please?
My daughter isn't the keenest of flyers, furthermore I enjoy the experience of sitting next to your nearest and dearest when you're off on a holiday adventure.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer... I called Jet 2 and the chap on the phone brazenly (and slightly condescendingly) advised it was "a shame" because I "Booked so late"

I don't agree with the whole paying for seat allocation thing but even when I was committing to do so, Jet 2 have said that all other seats are allocated for those that booked earlier.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Comments

• greyteam1959
    Options
    Depends how old your daughter is.
    When you board the plane cabin staff MAY be very helpful & try & move passengers about a bit if so that you could sit together.
    Then again they may not.
    HTH
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There has been much debate on this site about children sitting next to or adjacent to parents for safety reasons.

CAA guidelines state you should be sat together or adjacent.

For those that keep harking on about paying to sit together, this is a very good example of where the airline should move passengers
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    I don't agree with the whole paying for seat allocation thing but even when I was committing to do so, Jet 2 have said that all other seats are allocated for those that booked earlier.
    Jet 2's position seems reasonable enough.

Otherwise they'd most likely have to split a couple (who have already booked) to accommodate your very late booking.

That aside, how far apart are you seated ?

I would have thought an 11 year old would be mature enough to sit "alone" in this situation - it's not ideal of course, but better than not going on holiday ?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    There has been much debate on this site about children sitting next to or adjacent to parents for safety reasons.

CAA guidelines state you should be sat together or adjacent.

For those that keep harking on about paying to sit together, this is a very good example of where the airline should move passengers
    This is what CAA guidelines state:
    Families, children and infants

The seating of children close by their parents or guardians should be the aim of airline seat allocation procedures for family groups and large parties of children.
    Young children and infants who are accompanied by adults should ideally be seated in the same seat row as the adult. Where this is not possible, children should be separated by no more than one seat row from accompanying adults. This is because the speed of an emergency evacuation may be affected by adults trying to reach their children.
    Whenever a number of infants and children are travelling together the airline should make every effort to ensure that they can be readily supervised by the responsible accompanying adults.
    https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/on-board/seating-allocation/

@ OP - how far apart are the seats you've got?

All you can do is ask cabin crew to ask if anyone will be so kind as to move to allow you and your daughter to sit together.
    But if I'd booked a flight some time ago and paid to choose my seats, I'd only move under duress from cabin crew - i.e. not voluntarily.

And I'd want the person I'm being moved for to pay me what I'd paid to select my seats. Right there and then.

If I'd not paid to select our seats and if the request was made politely, I'd probably agree to swap.
    If someone was kicking off about people should be moved for them, I'd do exactly the opposite and hang onto my seat.
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Paying for allocated seats is not guaranteed.

The T & C's always state we may move a passenger for operational or safety reasons. If that is the case, we will refund the any fees.

If anyone is stupid enough to argue with the crew, then there would be a good chance, they won't need the seat as they won't be flying
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    steve1500 wrote: »
    Paying for allocated seats is not guaranteed.

The T & C's always state we may move a passenger for operational or safety reasons. If that is the case, we will refund the any fees.

If anyone is stupid enough to argue with the crew, then there would be a good chance, they won't need the seat as they won't be flying
    I think you'll find that an 11 year old may be deemed old enough by the crew to sit on his/her own.

Are you sure Jet"'s T&Cs say that/
    I'm not saying they don't, just asking if it really does state that in cases where you are asked to move to accommodate other passengers perceived needs.
    Or if it only applies to changes of aircraft or for reasons of force majeure.

Where did I say I would argue with the crew?
    I've been in the position where we paid to book specific seats on a TC long haul flight.
    Centre section, aisle seats one behind the other - so I could recline without the person behind me throwing a strop.
    Flight not full, cabin crew asked if me and OH (sat behind me) were travelling together. At that point we had 6 seats between us.

Of course I said we were but we had paid for those specific seats and explained the reason.
    She smiled and moved on to ask other people to make room for someone who wanted to move.
    And that's what I think would happen in the scenario I mention in my earlier post.
    The most I'd say would be 'I've paid for this seat and would prefer you to find someone who hasn't paid for their seat and ask them to move'.
    That's hardly arguing, is it?

I really don't think that would get me thrown off the plane.
  • Ell76
    Ell76 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jet 2's position seems reasonable enough.

Otherwise they'd most likely have to split a couple (who have already booked) to accommodate your very late booking.

That aside, how far apart are you seated ?

I would have thought an 11 year old would be mature enough to sit "alone" in this situation - it's not ideal of course, but better than not going on holiday ?

Seats are literally one at back of plane and one at the front.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    When's the flight?
  • Ell76
    Ell76 Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lorian wrote: »
    When's the flight?

12th of October
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you absolutely sure there are no pairs of seats? They actually told you this and you aren't just relying on the restricted seating view you are shown because you didn't pay the set fee?

I feel for you, many 11 year olds would not be happy on their own. if the seats are genuinely all booked you have three more times to try and see if the situation could be improved.

Ask at check-in/bag-drop. I don't recall (others will) if with Jet2 you have to check-in before arrival. If you can still defer check-in till the airport this is one situation where I would I think.

Secondly, when you get to the gate, assuming the staff turn up in reasonable time, ask as soon at they appear.

Thirdly ask the first steward/stewardess as soon as you get on the plane if they will ask if anyone would swap. They are likely to ask you to take your original seats while they try, if they are willing.

Last chance is to ask those sat around you.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport