Warning: {personal details removed by MSE Forum Team}

IsBa
IsBa Posts: 4 Newbie
edited 21 September 2018 at 10:40AM in Praise, vent & warnings
Do not use PHS Construction Limited / Polish Builders {personal details removed by MSE Forum Team}

They've ruined our house, our finances, took our money and ran away leaving a complete mess behind them.

{personal details removed by MSE Forum Team}, then director and manager, and {personal details removed by MSE Forum Team} the project manager, first came across as very professional and passionate about their work. After having seen some of their work sites, we entered into a contract with PHS Construction Limited (also trading as Polish Builders) for a full refurbishment of our house including a loft conversion. PHS Construction Limited is currently operating from Grove Green Rd E11.

We were asked to pay a deposit and then weekly instalments equal to the full contract amount divided by the number of weeks for the works. Foolishly, we trusted them and started paying but it was only demolition and scaffold - it looked impressive but nothing more. Works started to slow, we were told not to worry, they even asked up to pay more, we went on holidays and when we came back realised that works had stopped for at least 4/6 weeks but we had been asked to continue to pay and nobody at PHS had even informed us that the works had stalled.

We were then told there were cash flow issues and got blackmailed in paying more if we wanted to get the works to progress. Desperate for the works to start again we did so. They then built the roof structure and did the tiling of the roof. The tiling is really bad with tiles are already falling and many other missing, the roof is leaking, the battens are too short and not fixed, flashing is not set properly, and there are dozen of other issues etc.. They then asked for more money apparently for extra costs but without even being able to produce any explanation/evidence of these extra costs.

By this point in time we had paid more than two-third of the contract value. When we refused to pay more, they pretended that they would do more work but instead hired two unskilled guys who did more damage to the house.

After endless promises, when they realised that we were not going to pay more until they completed a large chunk of the works, they finally ran away all blaming each other, leaving us with a leaky roof and many structural problems (for example the windows opening are not even centred in the dormers, steel beams are in the wrong place, etc.). The site is a mess with debris, holes and rubbish everywhere.

They also took all our money.

All the builders than have come since to give us quotes to continue the works concur that PHS can't have spent more on our site more than half of what we actually paid them).

We are talking about 6 figure amounts here!

The new director {personal details removed by MSE Forum Team} has never even bothered to get in touch with us to propose a way forward and nobody respond in the office.

In conclusion, their work is highly unprofessional and they are, to say the least, dishonest.

Avoid at all costs!

Comments

• You've already got an identical thread for "Warning Marek Abrahamowicz PHS Construction" - I'd recommend PM'ing one of the board guides and asking for the threads to be merged so you can get any/all responses in one place instead of having to go between 2 (and it'll help the rest of us help you if we only have one place to reply to).
  • Apologies for creating a separate thread. I am new to the forum and would like to alert people against this company and its directors and main employee. However, the space in the title was not big enough for me to type all of their names at once. Hence, the multiple posting with different titles. Apologies if this is against the rules or makes responding more difficult. That said, I am not expecting many replies.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    edited 12 February 2018 at 12:56PM
    I've deleted the other thread, please stop creating more. You can use this thread for any discussion.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So are you taking them to court?
  • WIris
    WIris Posts: 2 Newbie
    I took PHS Construction to court because of serious structural issues with its build and a subsequent failure to meet its agreement to compensate me for remedial work. The court found in my favour. However, PHS Construction has now changed its registered office address to the default address of Companies House itself - which tends to mean the company is out of (or going out of) business. My next step would have been to call in the bailiffs but this is obviously not an appropriate course of action any longer. All I can do now is suggest to others that they avoid working with any company that has the same cast of actors as directors or staff.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Surely your claim value would put it into HCEO territory rather than merely bailiffs? (HCEOs have more powers). Might be worth contacting a HCEO anyway to gauge their opinion.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    WIris wrote: »
    I took PHS Construction to court because of serious structural issues with its build and a subsequent failure to meet its agreement to compensate me for remedial work. The court found in my favour. However, PHS Construction has now changed its registered office address to the default address of Companies House itself - which tends to mean the company is out of (or going out of) business. My next step would have been to call in the bailiffs but this is obviously not an appropriate course of action any longer. All I can do now is suggest to others that they avoid working with any company that has the same cast of actors as directors or staff.

The company is still showing as active.
  • WIris
    WIris Posts: 2 Newbie
    A couple of responses:

first: I am just one among a number of people who have suffered as a result of using this company. I am not IsBa who made the first post. This is a separate claim and it is not sufficiently high to warrant further legal expenditure.

second: Yes, the company shows as active but two of the old company addresses are domestic dwellings and the company is in arrears with its rent on the previous industrial estate address. There is no response to phone calls or letters. The worry is that Mirek, Piotr and Marek are still operating.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure