Comments

• redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,218 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope the bug shifts soon red

Sam x
    Thankyou!
    Redo , I hope you are feeling better very soon. The hoarse voice was what I started with.

Thank you for my multi quote lesson, it makes sense now.

You are welcome - I always forget about it myself. DS1 started off hoarse too, its the aching that is the problem for me, makes my joints far worse than usual and I lock up when I sit down.

So today has been a little less active than usual but I got the bulk of the high electricity jobs done. Pot roast was nice with carrots and leeks, and while the oven was on I made a lentil loaf - this time with peppers, cumin and turmeric in the frying pan bit, and then some frozen strong grated cheese sprinkled in at the end which was good. I also made an anti -scurvy cake with carrots, sultanas, banana and a whole boiled orange. Its actually rather nice although baking probably killed all the vitamins.
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Anti-scurvy cake

Cover a whole orange (needs to be carried around in lunch bag for days to be authentic) in water and cook for 20 minutes. Let it cool, cut in half and remove any pips. Blitz the whole orange in a blender.

Mix together 140ml veg oil, 2 eggs, 1 manky banana (see orange comment), and 6oz sugar (mix brown and white for me). Add some grated carrot (5oz) a big handful of sultanas (4oz) and the whizzed orange. Add 6oz SR flour, teaspoon of cinnamon and as much freshly grated nutmeg as you like. I like nutmeg. Tip the batter into a lined brownie tin for 40 minutes at fan 160 until the middle is firm/springy. Let it cool and then ice it if you like icing. Its nice enough without but I did vanilla cream cheese topping as we had some to use up but this works well with nutmeg buttercream.
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,729 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    greenbee wrote: »
    If you can't taste things properly while you have a cold it could be an opportunity to eat the nasty soup. It'll be hot, have steam to clear your nose, and you could add lots of chilli to it as well. Otherwise bin it and use the space more sensibly...

She's absolutely right you know........

Still I hope you feel a lot better tomorrow and not achey at all.

Good going on 'free leccy' Sunday!:T
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    Also grinning at the idea of you laughing quietly to yourself in the fridge. :D

Glad it's not just me with the suspicious tubs in the freezer.

I hope you're feeling less manky soon:)
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • redofromstart
    edited 19 March 2018 at 5:50PM
    Options
    Thanks - bit better today so I have been cleaning the kitchen. The sun is slowly melting the snow and its starting to look welcoming outside again. I noticed when I went out to the freezer that the camelia next to the house has started to flower (williamsii donation - pink, evergreen, tall as the house) which always marks the start of the garden warming up for me.

Sausages out for dinner, have vague memories of a good food recipe involving honey and mustard and potatoes so will go and have a root and see if I can find it. It might have been marmalade actually. Hope we have some frozen veg hidden or we will be on carrots again.

ETA It was this one, and it is marmalade which we haven't got
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm sure honey would work just as well. Or jam :) I'd avoid nutella though.

I have done some work. As usual, not the work I'd planned on but something came up in the news that needed a response. Now have to wait for legal in the US to spot my email and review it for me to make sure I don't get us sued...
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Your Camelia sounds lovely. It's nice to see signs of Spring. There's nothing flowering in our garden at the moment which is unusual. Usually we have daffodils by early February but it's been so much colder this year.

I'm glad you feel a bit better today :).
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • redofromstart
    Options
    I thought honey and grainy mustard too, but they voted for gravy instead, so I did potatoes/sausages/onion and carrot chunks on the tray with a sprinkle of oil and salt and mixed herbs, and found the last of a bag of peas in the freezer. Must buy frozen veg tomorrow, and fresh ones too. I had cold beef and nice tasty tomatoes instead.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,177 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought emergency frozen veg the other day - bag of peas, bag of sweetcorn as I'm fed up of not having veg when I'm back between trips.
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,850 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I like the sound of marmalade sausages, but I also like the sound of honey and mustard sausages :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family