brother committed ebay fraud

Options

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    You forgot to mention that the fraudster will get a 1st party fraud marker on CIFAS, which will do away with his prospects of getting any credit of any sort for the next 6 years. It might also lead to the closure of his existing banking and money transfer facilities.

I highly doubt that.

The user will likely just submit a claim that they never got the item they ordered, That doesn't turn into a cifas marker at the end,
  • IanManc
    IanManc Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    Im curious...you say Yes the police can prove he didn't send the phone.

Can you explain how they would do that, as far as im aware there isn't a EBay Csi in production just yet.

The police actually do investigate cases without filming them for the telly.

Sorry if this comes as a shock to you.

Yawn.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    Here you go OP. Let us know if you need any help filling in the Online form:

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report_fraud
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope he gets screwed for far more than the £900 he's conned someone out of.

I hate eBay for that exact reason!
    Exactly the same here. I never touch it.
  • katejo
    katejo Posts: 3,865 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bridges80 wrote: »
    My brother ripped someone off on ebay for £900. He sold an I phone which he didn't own. He drew the money out, will paypal taking the money out of his bank even though he's got nothing in leaving him with bank charges or will it deduct from his paypal balance?

He sent a mobile phone box with his old phone in and a tracking number.

Can the police and ebay prove that he didn't send the real phone?

He doesn't want paypal or ebay trying to take money out of his bank account which has nothing in (he doesn't work) and be charged fees for every time they try taking money out of his account.

I know they charge around £30 pound if they try taking money from his bank account if there's nothing in.

Will they do this? Try taking money from his bank or just deduct it from his paypal balance?

Will he get charged every time they try taking money out of his account if there's nothing in or will it just minus his paypal account?
    Why the hell do you think that he should get off without penalty. If I were the recipient, I would want him to be arrested and charged.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    NineDeuce wrote: »
    The thought of how many people hide on forums behind the alias of 'my brother' or 'my mate'
    See i've been reading this thread while at work today and this post of yours stood out.

I don't hide the fact that i openly seek advice to help out my brother, sister, mother & wife. I don't mind coming on to forums and asking although that's 'not their thing'. So be it but we all help each other as we can, it's what families do right? Well some families i guess. Others rip off folk on eBay.

Anyway 2 things i had with the post there....

1) The fact that there are people out there who do hide behind "my brother/mother/sister/friend/cousin" etc

but more than that ...

2) How there seems to be a large (yes, i'd say large) section of MSE who always think the worst of people with absolutely zero proof.

I couldn't give a monkeys if anyone believes me when i'm asking for advice on a relatives situation. I'll keep asking. It says more about them than it does me!
    But i'm seeing it a lot around this message board. The story isn't juicy enough i suppose so they try and make it that way for what? Their own entertainment? Are they that bored?
    And don't get me started on the employment section of the board with the way a load of their members twist words for no good reason!!
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Anyway on topic - out of interest how can we all protect ourselves from this happening to us?

And don't say the obvious - like don't buy on eBay.

The only thing i could think of is if you video the parcel & you opening that parcel. Question is could that even be used? Perhaps you edited it? Anything to discredit you.

I know someone (that'll get the gossips going!) who conned someone on eBay. Said they didn't receive the item when they actually did - because it wasn't tracked. Told them it was out of order and i just why would you even do that to someone? Very very low. Their answer - because i can, eBay will refund me & so long as i don't do it too often then "it's right". Thankfully i only have to work with the idiot.
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    It is a sad and well publicised fact that eBay sides with the buyer

If the buyer raises an 'item not as described' case then eBay immediately put a Hold on the funds sending the buyers PayPal account into a negative balance if they have already withdrawn the cash (if they haven't withdrawn the cash from PayPal then it is frozen)

almost no matter what the seller does including sending pictures of tje item being wrapped etc etc eBay will side with the buyer

There it is so now you know
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    Options
    P.S and by the way there is zero chance of the police getting involved even if you sell a phone and post a sausage
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    IanManc wrote: »
    The police actually do investigate cases without filming them for the telly.

Sorry if this comes as a shock to you.

Yawn.

Well how about you explain how the Police would investigate one mans word against another...or is that just to much effort compared to a poor sarcastic answer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure