Virgin credit card interest on late payment charge

Hello,
I have a quick question as I have spoken to Virgin on the phone to ask about charges on my credit card account- I was late with my payment last month, and thus I was charged
a) late payment charge-9£, b) interest charge-2.05£ which the lady on the phone explained is an interest on the late payment charge! (I was also charged normal interest).
I have never realised this can happen- is this a standard practice with other banks too? It seems little sketchy...

Comments

• Yes - it's standard practice.

However, the £2.05 will not all relate to the late payment charge of £9.
  • Yes this is standard practice as the charge is still a amount that is payable.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Or to put it a different way: Charges are added to the balance which is then subject to interest.

However there is not a lot to stop you adding together the charge and the interest accrued by that charge and then complaining that the total charge is unfair. The question is whether it's worthwhile to do that for such a small amount of money.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    The interest will be due to the late payment making the interest free grace period on purchases invalid.

You have been charged interest on the amount borrowed for the length of borrowing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family