Revolut card fraud - help!

Options
Hiya,

On Friday night I had notifications for one successful and loads of refused transactions on my Revolut travel money Mastercard - in Brazil.

My card is here with me in Wales so it seems my Revolut card has been cloned.

I've tried the Revolut live support several times and no one replies.

I've no idea what to do next but someone is still attempting to use the cloned card today. About £4 was taken on Friday and the card is now empty.

I just have absolutely no idea what to do next as they won't reply -any ideas?!
Just very glad I don't leave large sums of cash on there!!

Thanks

Comments

• grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What 'live support'?

I see tel. number, e-mail address, facebook, twitter, ...

Also, apparently you can use the app to block your card.
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Options
    The Brightside here is that you have only lost £4.00 so why not cancel it now and email in if you want to seek a refund.
  • bengalknights
    Options
    Ferrety wrote: »
    Hiya,

On Friday night I had notifications for one successful and loads of refused transactions on my Revolut travel money Mastercard - in Brazil.

My card is here with me in Wales so it seems my Revolut card has been cloned.

I've tried the Revolut live support several times and no one replies.

I've no idea what to do next but someone is still attempting to use the cloned card today. About £4 was taken on Friday and the card is now empty.

I just have absolutely no idea what to do next as they won't reply -any ideas?!
    Just very glad I don't leave large sums of cash on there!!

Thanks

Hello phone the customer support team or fraud team on the numbe they quote on website or on back of card
  • Ferrety_2
    Options
    Ah thanks - I was trying to contact through the app and could only block it and use live chat on that.

Found the number through the website itself and they can try to do a chargeback - apparently you're not covered for anything on a prepay card so I'm liable for all fraudulent use. Luckily I don't leave cash on it (didn't actually realise it had 4 quid left on until I got the transaction alerts).

Is this just bad luck or are chargecards more prone to fraud than other cards? Really like my Revolut but would be reluctant to use charge cards again if they're more open to fraud.
  • grumbler
    Options
    Ferrety wrote: »
    .... apparently you're not covered for anything on a prepay card ....
    I think they are talking rubbish. Chargeback is Visa/Mastercard procedure and hence is unlikely to depend on the type of the card as long as it's Visa/Mastercard.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2015 at 1:43PM
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    What 'live support'?

I see tel. number, e-mail address, facebook, twitter, ...

Also, apparently you can use the app to block your card.

Yup: Launch the app and log in, click the settings (three lines icon) bottom right, the click on "My Card" and block it. It can be unblocked through the app later. But of course blocking it means that the OP can't use it either.

I concur on the apparently non-existent support through the app. Haven't tried it on their web site.

@ grumbler: Oh yes it does depend on the type of card: Yes, chargeback is a VISA / Mastercard (and others) procedure but it's voluntary and depends on the bank or credit card company adopting it and not all do. Chargebacks are also initiated through your bank or credit card company.
  • grumbler
    edited 8 December 2015 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    @ grumbler: Oh yes it does depend on the type of card: Yes, chargeback is a VISA / Mastercard (and others) procedure but it's voluntary and depends on the bank or credit card company adopting it and not all do. Chargebacks are also initiated through your bank or credit card company.
    Any proof that it's only "bank or credit card company", not a card provider/issuer?
    In fact, MSE say that it does work for prepaid cards.

And if some particular provider 'voluntarily' decided not to adopt it, this doesn't mean that in general "you're not covered for anything on a prepay card". Also, I don't think that Visa/Mastercard rules can be 'voluntarily' adopted or ignored by the companies.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 8 December 2015 at 2:47PM
    Options
    Any proof that it's only "bank or credit card company", not a card provider/issuer?
    In fact, MSE say that it does work for prepaid cards.

And if some particular provider 'voluntarily' decided not to adopt it, this doesn't mean that in general "you're not covered for anything on a prepay card". Also, I don't think that Visa/Mastercard rules can be 'voluntarily' adopted or ignored by the companies.

It's the bank or company which issued the card which decides whether to allow a chargeback or not. So therefore it has to be voluntarily supported by the bank or company which issued the card.
    These chargeback schemes are voluntary – unlike section 75 which is set in law – but do not be put off if the person you speak to at the bank claims to know nothing about them.
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/20/section-75-chargeback
  • grumbler
    edited 8 December 2015 at 3:44PM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    It's the bank or company which issued the card which decides whether to allow a chargeback or not. So therefore it has to be voluntarily supported by the bank or company which issued the card.
    Yes, they make a decision - based on the evidence - whether to process the chargeback or not. This doesn't mean that they decide whether to participate in the scheme or not. That's why FOS considers complains from customers about how their chargeback claims have been dealt with.
    These chargeback schemes are voluntary – unlike section 75 which is set in law – but do not be put off if the person you speak to at the bank claims to know nothing about them.
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/jan/20/section-75-chargeback
    Again, this means just that they ('rules') are voluntary for the payment processing systems (Visa/Mastercard/Amex/Paypal/...), not for companies, and as a result, you can't resort to legal actions if you are unhappy - unlike for s75 (law) claims.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, they make a decision - based on the evidence - whether to process the chargeback or not. This doesn't mean that they decide whether to participate in the scheme or not. That's why FOS considers complains from customers about how their chargeback claims have been dealt with.

Indeed. In fact, the FOS has ruled that given the availability of the chargeback scheme, it would be unfair of a provider not to use it to assist a customer where the conditions are met.

So it isn't really an option for UK providers to "opt out" of the chargeback scheme if they wish to keep their authorisation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure