Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 10th Nov 15, 4:45 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: How to beat Virgin Media broadband, home phone and TV price hikes
    • 10th Nov 15, 4:45 PM
    MSE News: How to beat Virgin Media broadband, home phone and TV price hikes 10th Nov 15 at 4:45 PM
    Virgin Media customers will be hit with inflation busting price hikes of 5.4% on average from 1 February 2016...

Read the full story:

How to beat Virgin Media broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply. If you arenít sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Page 1
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 10th Nov 15, 4:57 PM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 10th Nov 15, 4:57 PM
    • 10th Nov 15, 4:57 PM
    Humm. It's that time of year again :rolleyes:

I had only just made my mind up to stay with them yesterday.
    • njm123
    • By njm123 10th Nov 15, 8:41 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    njm123
    • 10th Nov 15, 8:41 PM
    • 10th Nov 15, 8:41 PM
    Greedy like all the similar providers - time to ditch en masse
    • liviboy
    • By liviboy 10th Nov 15, 10:09 PM
    • 482 Posts
    • 177 Thanks
    liviboy
    • 10th Nov 15, 10:09 PM
    • 10th Nov 15, 10:09 PM
    This is just annoying.

Funny how the prices always go up...never down for existing customers.

Think it's time to join sky for 12 months then when their package goes up switch back to Virgin as a "new customer" then back to Sky under my wife's name, then back to Virgin....
    • yokie10
    • By yokie10 10th Nov 15, 10:40 PM
    • 143 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    yokie10
    • 10th Nov 15, 10:40 PM
    • 10th Nov 15, 10:40 PM
    would haggling still work if I ve already paid line saver rental? If I wanted to cancel and move to another provider would I lose out line rental saver?

on the big easy package.
    Challenge yourself with something you know you could never do, and what youíll find is that you can overcome anything.
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 10th Nov 15, 10:54 PM
    • 4,198 Posts
    • 4,662 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 10th Nov 15, 10:54 PM
    • 10th Nov 15, 10:54 PM
    All this free upgrade your speed from the current lowest to the new lowest is rubbish, they will just raise the price instead.

This is what I really do no understand:
    Broadband on it's own £30.25 month for 18 months
    http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html

Broadband and Phone: £21.98 month for 12 months, £34.49 month after that for remaining 6 months (18 month contract)
    http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html

Total over 18 months:
    Broadband - £544.50
    Broadband and Phone - £470.70
    Last edited by Marvel1; 10-11-2015 at 11:06 PM.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 11th Nov 15, 6:49 AM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,037 Thanks
    Kim_13
    • 11th Nov 15, 6:49 AM
    • 11th Nov 15, 6:49 AM
    It's not even an annual thing any more. I've just had a look through old threads and they upped in June if you had sports or movies, September and November for BB only. Smacks of we overspent on sports and everyone is paying for it.

I'm starting to think it should be in contracts that they can only up prices once a year. How much money must they be spending sending out these price increase letters every 2 minutes?
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • priorslee
    • By priorslee 11th Nov 15, 8:47 AM
    • 2,266 Posts
    • 576,742 Thanks
    priorslee
    • 11th Nov 15, 8:47 AM
    • 11th Nov 15, 8:47 AM
    Once again the virginmedia rip-off machine getting into full swing.

1. The general UK inflation rate is close to zero. How can VM possibly justify an average increase of 5.4%?
    2. If you are already following MSE advice, your increase will be substantially higher due to the £20 (12.2%) increase in the advance line payment rate. For me it woarks out as at least 9.5%.
    3. VM's promotional material about increased broadband speeds 'for free' is a complete con - we are obviously having to pay for it through higher charges. In effect, they are transferring us onto a more expensive package and not giving us any choice in the matter.
    4. The option to get out within 30 days isn't really much benefit. If you've paid your line rental up-front you'll lose the balance. And it's not as simple as that, switching from VM means that you are going to have to switch to a BT line so you are probably going to have to pay a connection/installation fee. At least once you're there, you have got the option of several providers (TalkTalk etc). With VM, you've got a choice of one. The other problem is that you are likely to suffer a significant drop in broadband speed - when I looked around recently I was told that with a BT line I would be lucky to get an 8Mb service against the current 50Mb from VM.
    VM are taking advantage of their near-monopoly position on cable broadband.

Seriously hacked off with VM ...
    • Zebrdee
    • By Zebrdee 11th Nov 15, 3:23 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Zebrdee
    • 11th Nov 15, 3:23 PM
    • 11th Nov 15, 3:23 PM
    It may be an average of 5.4% but my package is nearer 9% hike, way too much. They better do a big discount or it's cancelled next Feb.
    Last edited by Zebrdee; 11-11-2015 at 6:46 PM.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 12th Nov 15, 1:00 AM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Hmm I love the service but only want unlimited phone and fastest broadband, I was lied to at the time and told the cheapest they can do it is £55 a month as it was dearer to get without tv to find my neighbour got the same deal without tv for £30.

What I was worried about is even if they give me a discount would that mean I am tied in to the remainder of the contract? I say that because years ago I got out of my Three contract by changes but agreed to stay once they gave me the £35 a month tariff for £15 inc a new phone and I had written proof it said 30 days notice after that but a few years later got a letter saying I owed line rental (at the £35 a month rate) for the remainder of the contract as I cancelled it 2 months later and they had no record of the cancellation and just said I had only paid 10 months of a 18 month contract.

I have freesat for tv and never watched Virgin since I got it at all if anything its taking up space in my cabinet.
    • Ianp2000
    • By Ianp2000 12th Nov 15, 4:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Ianp2000
    Got a price from BT, told Virgin to cancel my contract, they matched the BT price saving me £173...result!
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 12th Nov 15, 7:02 PM
    • 3,812 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    AndyPK
    Virgin love to keep you on 3 services. I must be an internal goal.

Sometimes they will even give you the basic tv for a couple of quid if it means keeping you on 3 services.

So if you aren't interested in TV you still need to have the prices to hand as they will do all they can to put you on a tv deal.

Don't rush and say yes.

And yes a discount will normally lock you in for 12 months
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 13th Nov 15, 3:04 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Right so I told them I didnt want tv at all and they offered me the "free tv" package unlimited calls and line rental and the 152 meg broadband for the DISCOUNT price of £57 a month but means a new 12 month contract.

However I am paying £67 right now for all the movie channels and regular sky channels on top!

So a £10 saving and a new contract, not worth it.

What can I say to get them to offer me better.
    • jem16
    • By jem16 13th Nov 15, 4:04 PM
    • 18,681 Posts
    • 11,484 Thanks
    jem16
    What can I say to get them to offer me better.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    Have you actually cancelled yet? If not that's what you need to do and then wait for retentions to phone you.
    • ScoobyZ
    • By ScoobyZ 14th Nov 15, 7:36 AM
    • 401 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    ScoobyZ
    Big Connection 10% increase for me, although I do get £10 off for threatening to leave.

I moved my TV earlier this year to Sky as I got 1/2 price, £115 cashback and a free LG 32" TV

I might give their broadband a go next as Virgin pee me off.
    • Oscar gold
    • By Oscar gold 14th Nov 15, 2:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Oscar gold
    Just received a letter saying there would be a £4 a month price increase.
    Phoned Virgin, told them to cancel my contract. They've credited my account, covering the price increase, for remainder of my contract, about 6 months.
    So give them a call just make sure you go to option 4 "changes to package or moving";
    Then option 5 "thinking of leaving us" and remember to say" I want to cancel my contract".
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 17th Nov 15, 10:20 PM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I havent recieved the letter, then again my postie never attemps delivery if he cant get through the front door so often go a week without post and a large amount in one day.

Anyway I rang up just before closing time, was on and off phone in about 3 minutes, got straight through mentioned I wanted to cancel due to increase in payments, he just went "oh that will take 30 days and you will get packaging in post to return equipment, thank you for your call"

I am a little worried due to past experience when cancelling contracts early that they try and charge for the remainder.
    • Pete9501
    • By Pete9501 19th Nov 15, 5:11 PM
    • 417 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    Pete9501
    Well they have just tried upping the package cost to £68 a month for TV, BB, phone and second tv box. Enough is enough and rang them up to complain that the broadband is slow 26mbps and the e mail system has been rubbish of late with loads of outages.

30 minutes later we cut the broadband speed package to the max limit we can receive in the house 50mbps, dropped some channels we don't watch, went for paperless billing and the bill is back down to £55 a month, so a small increase on the initial welcome package we have had for the last year.

So £156 a year saved over the next 12 months. Will we have to do the same next year, probably, this is going to be like shopping around for insurance each year.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 20th Nov 15, 5:14 AM
    • 4,983 Posts
    • 4,681 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Got a call yesterday asking if I would stay, got them down to £32 a month for 200 meg broadband, and line rental and unlimited calls!
    • Pikeyp
    • By Pikeyp 20th Nov 15, 4:19 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Pikeyp
    Sometimes they will even give you the basic tv for a couple of quid if it means keeping you on 3 services ...
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    In my case the basic TV service has always been free with the phone ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,512Posts Today

8,009Users online

Martin's Twitter