MSE News: How to beat Virgin Media broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

Options
Virgin Media customers will be hit with inflation busting price hikes of 5.4% on average from 1 February 2016...
Read the full story:

How to beat Virgin Media broadband, home phone and TV price hikes

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Humm. It's that time of year again :rolleyes:

I had only just made my mind up to stay with them yesterday.
  • njm123
    njm123 Posts: 327 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Greedy like all the similar providers - time to ditch en masse
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is just annoying.

Funny how the prices always go up...never down for existing customers.

Think it's time to join sky for 12 months then when their package goes up switch back to Virgin as a "new customer" then back to Sky under my wife's name, then back to Virgin....
  • yokie10_2
    Options
    would haggling still work if I ve already paid line saver rental? If I wanted to cancel and move to another provider would I lose out line rental saver?

on the big easy package.
    Challenge yourself with something you know you could never do, and what you’ll find is that you can overcome anything.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 November 2015 at 1:06AM
    Options
    All this free upgrade your speed from the current lowest to the new lowest is rubbish, they will just raise the price instead.

This is what I really do no understand:
    Broadband on it's own £30.25 month for 18 months
    http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html

Broadband and Phone: £21.98 month for 12 months, £34.49 month after that for remaining 6 months (18 month contract)
    http://store.virginmedia.com/broadband/compare-broadband/index.html

Total over 18 months:
    Broadband - £544.50
    Broadband and Phone - £470.70
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It's not even an annual thing any more. I've just had a look through old threads and they upped in June if you had sports or movies, September and November for BB only. Smacks of we overspent on sports and everyone is paying for it.

I'm starting to think it should be in contracts that they can only up prices once a year. How much money must they be spending sending out these price increase letters every 2 minutes?
  • priorslee
    priorslee Posts: 3,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Once again the virginmedia rip-off machine getting into full swing.

1. The general UK inflation rate is close to zero. How can VM possibly justify an average increase of 5.4%?
    2. If you are already following MSE advice, your increase will be substantially higher due to the £20 (12.2%) increase in the advance line payment rate. For me it woarks out as at least 9.5%.
    3. VM's promotional material about increased broadband speeds 'for free' is a complete con - we are obviously having to pay for it through higher charges. In effect, they are transferring us onto a more expensive package and not giving us any choice in the matter.
    4. The option to get out within 30 days isn't really much benefit. If you've paid your line rental up-front you'll lose the balance. And it's not as simple as that, switching from VM means that you are going to have to switch to a BT line so you are probably going to have to pay a connection/installation fee. At least once you're there, you have got the option of several providers (TalkTalk etc). With VM, you've got a choice of one. The other problem is that you are likely to suffer a significant drop in broadband speed - when I looked around recently I was told that with a BT line I would be lucky to get an 8Mb service against the current 50Mb from VM.
    VM are taking advantage of their near-monopoly position on cable broadband.

Seriously hacked off with VM ...
  • Zebrdee
    Zebrdee Posts: 225 Forumite
    edited 11 November 2015 at 8:46PM
    Options
    It may be an average of 5.4% but my package is nearer 9% hike, way too much. They better do a big discount or it's cancelled next Feb. :mad:
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmm I love the service but only want unlimited phone and fastest broadband, I was lied to at the time and told the cheapest they can do it is £55 a month as it was dearer to get without tv to find my neighbour got the same deal without tv for £30.

What I was worried about is even if they give me a discount would that mean I am tied in to the remainder of the contract? I say that because years ago I got out of my Three contract by changes but agreed to stay once they gave me the £35 a month tariff for £15 inc a new phone and I had written proof it said 30 days notice after that but a few years later got a letter saying I owed line rental (at the £35 a month rate) for the remainder of the contract as I cancelled it 2 months later and they had no record of the cancellation and just said I had only paid 10 months of a 18 month contract.

I have freesat for tv and never watched Virgin since I got it at all if anything its taking up space in my cabinet.
  • Ianp2000
    Options
    Got a price from BT, told Virgin to cancel my contract, they matched the BT price saving me £173...result!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure