🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Our SOA

Options

Comments

• HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Martin's definition of a debt crisis is:

1) Are you struggling to pay all basic outgoings, eg, mortgage, rent, energy bills and credit card minimums?

or

2) Are your debts (excluding your mortgage) bigger than a year’s after-tax income?

Useful article here

I've heard the year of after tax income one before. Just wondered where 6 months comes from or is that personal opinion.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • DandelionPatrol
    Options
    HappyMJ wrote: »
    I've heard the year of after tax income one before. Just wondered where 6 months comes from or is that personal opinion.
    Martin calls 12 months a debt crisis, comparable to not being able to pay all basic outgoings

I called 6 months an alarm level. Now obviously, you need an alarm before you enter a crisis. At the alarm level, you probably would be able to clear it in a couple of years. But at the crisis level, it is not the case that you can clear it in twice as many years - it is more that you may struggle to even get a start on paying it down and therefore may never pay it down.

I think the levels are broadly consistent.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Martin calls 12 months a debt crisis, comparable to not being able to pay all basic outgoings

I called 6 months an alarm level. Now obviously, you need an alarm before you enter a crisis. At the alarm level, you probably would be able to clear it in a couple of years. But at the crisis level, it is not the case that you can clear it in twice as many years - it is more that you may struggle to even get a start on paying it down and therefore may never pay it down.

I think the levels are broadly consistent.

Fair enough thanks for clarifying.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you really have £748.86 left at the end of each month then according to the "What's the Cost" snowball calculator it would take you 45 months to clear your unsecured debt including the £16k you owe your brother. That's without cutting out any of the luxuries such as the ridiculously expensive mobile phone contracts, Sky or gym membership but does involve paying pack your brother last with only £5 token payments until August 2017 when you start throwing your money at that debt.

Your SIL's "rent" seems very low. What does she get for her £165 a month? Could this be increased?
  • ShiftThisDebt
    Options
    Pixie5740 wrote: »
    If you really have £748.86 left at the end of each month then according to the "What's the Cost" snowball calculator it would take you 45 months to clear your unsecured debt including the £16k you owe your brother. That's without cutting out any of the luxuries such as the ridiculously expensive mobile phone contracts, Sky or gym membership but does involve paying pack your brother last with only £5 token payments until August 2017 when you start throwing your money at that debt.

Your SIL's "rent" seems very low. What does she get for her £165 a month? Could this be increased?

Yes i have done some snowball calculations this morning and adding an extra £350 to the minimum payments will see us clear the credit cards in 28 months and the loan in 37 months and thats without the possibility of a 0% balance transfer on some or all of the credit cards.

SIL's rent - She is a student so she is living with us and has a minimal income. It's a bit more complicated than that due to family reasons which I won't go into here but it won't be increasing and we're happy with what she contributes. As we're in a position to help her out, that's what we're doing.
    Overall Goal: Debt Free by 2019:
    Total Debt on Jan 1st 2016 £36415Amount paid off so far: £0
    Amount remaining to pay off: £36415
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,136 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    SIL's rent - She is a student so she is living with us and has a minimal income. It's a bit more complicated than that due to family reasons which I won't go into here but it won't be increasing and we're happy with what she contributes. As we're in a position to help her out, that's what we're doing.

Please share your life/debt lessons with her, that is helping too. (I don't mean discuss every penny with her)

Student debt is easily accrued and teaching her about this would do her a massive favour in the long term.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • ShiftThisDebt
    Options
    Hello! Been a little while since I have been on here, but with moving house, work and Christmas I don't know where the time goes!

Anyway.....great news!

Earlier in the year I always had the plan to sort these flippin credit cards out once we were settled in the new house and the money situation had settled downa and was clear.

So over the past few days I have managed to apply for 3 new credit cards (1 for me and 2 for my wife) which means 100% of our credit card debt is now 0% interest for the next 32 months (13 months in my case)

I know we haven't actually paid an extra penny off yet, but it is so good to know that from January all our payments will be paying off just the balance!! Feels like a really positive start to the new year!
  • Willowpop
    Options

So over the past few days I have managed to apply for 3 new credit cards (1 for me and 2 for my wife) which means 100% of our credit card debt is now 0% interest for the next 32 months (13 months in my case)

I know we haven't actually paid an extra penny off yet, but it is so good to know that from January all our payments will be paying off just the balance!! Feels like a really positive start to the new year!

That's awesome!
    Although you've not physically made a payment, you've saved all that interest. Such a good start.
    Did you call sky or your mobile company yet? I called my mobile mid term a couple of years ago expecting a big fat no from them and they reduced the cost of my tariff. It's definitely worth a call, especially if you don't use all of the allowances you currently have. Just explain that your financial situation has changed and can they help. You have nothing to lose.
    PAYDBX 2016 #55 100% paid! :j Officially bad debt free...don't count my mortgage.
    Now to start saving...it's a whole new world!!
  • ShiftThisDebt
    Options
    Willowpop wrote: »
    That's awesome!
    Although you've not physically made a payment, you've saved all that interest. Such a good start.
    Did you call sky or your mobile company yet? I called my mobile mid term a couple of years ago expecting a big fat no from them and they reduced the cost of my tariff. It's definitely worth a call, especially if you don't use all of the allowances you currently have. Just explain that your financial situation has changed and can they help. You have nothing to lose.

Thanks! I'm really happy about the credit cards!

I have called Sky and managed to cut the bill by £10 a month.

I haven't rang mobile companies but it's on my to do list now, as you say if you don't ask you don't get!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Thats a good progress getting the rates down even with the BT fees you will save quickly. and once the holiday is paid you have more spare cash.

resurecting the "6 month rule of thumb"

I think a much better measure of where you are debt wise is the forcast DFD as this takes into account disposable income not actual income(which for some could be used 100% to just live*).

The longer the forcast DFD the more you are in dodo.

I think 5+-1 year is a sensible cutoff under that it is managable over consider other actions.

* someone who owes 10% of annual but needs 10years to pay it off is in a worse place than someone with 50% but can pay it off in 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport