My Graduate (Post-Student) Debt Diary!

Options

Comments

• MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    >12 Months
    Yeah exactly once they are all the same level, I can actually attack them at the interest rates. I think this is probably the way I'll do it, as if I'm not going to get rid of one in one go then best to maximise the cash influx.

Sold a game which I posted off yesterday, just under £30 incoming for that. :cool:

Confirmed that my gym membership will end of 19th July yesterday, then after that will just wing it for cheaper options.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Such a good turn around from a few days ago, just remember not to spend the money and send it to your CC's, are you applying for new jobs or are you sticking with where you are? I got offered an interview today but for a job in central London for £1,000.00 more than I earn now, it has good progression potential but the travel will cost me more than I have and I can't afford to move at the moment - feeling torn for what to do.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Such a good turn around from a few days ago, just remember not to spend the money and send it to your CC's, are you applying for new jobs or are you sticking with where you are? I got offered an interview today but for a job in central London for £1,000.00 more than I earn now, it has good progression potential but the travel will cost me more than I have and I can't afford to move at the moment - feeling torn for what to do.

I'm definitely looking around, just need to find time to have a chat with a recruitment agency, one in particular was really good last year for me it just turned out I didn't need them but they had lots of jobs going, and now with a years experience behind me should stand a better chance at some.

I'd say definitely go for the interview and do your best. If and when it comes to an offer you can think about these things, I did this a while ago was worried about having to move again for a job etc etc and didn't even get it, worrying for nothing.
    When it comes to the offer stage you can raise these concerns, and ask for travel subsidy or perhaps an even bigger wage. You're well within your right to ask for more money, it might be listed at only £1000 more p.a. but you could get another 10% on top!
  • System
    Options
    Read the job specification and it was pants, I hate these terrible positions where base salary is a pittance and then commission is £74982958787583479 OTE haha. It's so unrealistic!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Sold something else on Amazon, a DIY tool that I never really used, probably only end up with a tenner after delivery but I won't be using it anytime soon.
    Ramping up selling again to try and bring in extra income, considering doing some buying to sell too. I have a fairly good knack for working out what will be profitable.
    Read the job specification and it was pants, I hate these terrible positions where base salary is a pittance and then commission is £74982958787583479 OTE haha. It's so unrealistic!

Ah bummer, so not going to bother with it then? Yeah I think they think we care about commission rates which just isn't always that attractive unless you can see how the commission works first hand which you never will until you do the job!

I'm all for getting back what you put in, I just avoid commission work as surely its high stress and high pressure.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Job centre sent letter (notice of all payments in previous tax year) to my mothers home (my old address they have on file) and she'll send it to me, then I'll send it to tax man, probably two copies to make double sure it gets there.

I could have probably just given the address to my mother of who to forward it to.. but at least this way I can make copies and keep them. With the experience of dealing with Student Finance losing every letter you send them I try to take precaution.
  • System
    Options
    Definitely scan and make copies!

Well done on the tool selling, are you using the profit to pay off the debt?

Definitely sell things you won't use or need, don't leave yourself short though! Encourages more debt further down the line replacing things :D

Be careful buying to sell, you can't always guarantee a profit and you could use the extra cash atm for living expenses!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    I will be yeah, should be £40 in I can just hand over to the card (with the game and the tool sale).

Yeah couple more bits here and there I can sell that I definitely don't need.

Yeah I think I won't consider buying a small stock of anything until towards next payday, I try to keep this in mind with big purchases in mind because then it gives a much clearer view of how frugal you've been with your money, and then can consider such purchases.

I've found a clever way though of listing things for sale when I don't have them in hand, as soon as someone buys, I buy it at the cheaper price and pocket profit. Essentially "drop shipping" but just through finding price cuts at normal retailers and using to my advantage! Testing the waters one thing at a time to see what happens. So at any point I don't have to invest my dosh.
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Letter from job centre got to me today, sorted out a letter to HMRC with a copy of it ready to send out tomorrow. Tax rebate hopefully incoming sooooooon
  • System
    Options
    Fab, well done for getting it sorted, life admin sucks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure