🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

My Graduate (Post-Student) Debt Diary!

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,106 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MrJester wrote: »
    It's very unlikely that it will happen now in fact. I'm in my rental until at least August, and I don't think her own finances are in order enough to consider it.
    A lot of my expenditure goes on our relationship, being very much a distant relationship. I've decided to make changes to that, not going to buy train tickets anymore just the bus which is a fraction of the cost yet takes twice as long.

eBaying is going well thanks, few quid here and there for stuff I just want rid of!
    To update I sold my computer, and bought a replacement laptop, leaving me with around £1800 to pay towards debts! I'm waiting until the 20th when pay day comes around, and then I will have this cash and my pay cheque so I'll be in a very advantegous position to decide how much of which debts I'm paying and possibly even add more to it from my own pay.

My relative who lent me for my deposit said I don't have to pay it back, very kind of them but I do plan to pay it back eventually as I don't like to do that but this relative understands I am trying all I can to pay debts back and get in front for once.

Been making meals for work lunches which is saving me between £3-5 a day, and I'm still trying to get into the routine of biking to work to save on travel, it is also quicker for me so makes sense, its just knackering ha! :o

Wow! All very positive, except about the bus, bit of a mare but all in the name of love!!

So nice of your relative.. I do have to pay mine back but only slowly so we are pretty much in the same boat there!!

Is it not worth paying off the £1,800.00 now to avoid spending temptations?
  • MrJester
    MrJester Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    >12 Months
    Wow! All very positive, except about the bus, bit of a mare but all in the name of love!!

So nice of your relative.. I do have to pay mine back but only slowly so we are pretty much in the same boat there!!

Is it not worth paying off the £1,800.00 now to avoid spending temptations?

I suppose I'm partially hanging on to it until I'm sure I've got the right replacement laptop. I'm a heavy computer user and so a certain degree of power is important for me.

Of course in the back of my head is keeping me grounded that I need to try pay as much as possible to CCs..
  • System
    Options
    Hoping you've not let your Debt-free journey fizzle out! Haven't heard from you since March, how are you getting on MrJester?
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Hoping you've not let your Debt-free journey fizzle out! Haven't heard from you since March, how are you getting on MrJester?

Haha no it's still ongoing, still always in the back of my mind. Just had difficulty making any real big strides. I'm beginning to whittle away at the Barclaycard now though.

Had a lot going on in life and money was becoming a back burner, I haven't gone mad out of control with money as I earn just enough & don't over spend. But yeah.. before next pay day should be able to give another £100 to it hopefully.

Unless I start to earn more, I have to just knock it down slowly I've realised, no quick changes on this one. :p
  • System
    Options
    Haha no it's still ongoing, still always in the back of my mind. Just had difficulty making any real big strides. I'm beginning to whittle away at the Barclaycard now though.

Had a lot going on in life and money was becoming a back burner, I haven't gone mad out of control with money as I earn just enough & don't over spend. But yeah.. before next pay day should be able to give another £100 to it hopefully.

Unless I start to earn more, I have to just knock it down slowly I've realised, no quick changes on this one. :p

Good that you realise it'll just come down little and often! I'm in the same boat, my debts are slowly coming down too :rotfl: I'm still unsure about my pay-rise etc. so have been looking at new jobs, got an interview on Friday for a better paid position so could even be debt free quicker than I thought! I realised today only 3 more months till 0.00 credit card debt and then it'll be £200 a month off my family debt, which is incredible! Little and often definitely pays off, stick with it and keep those credit cards coming down, not going up!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Good that you realise it'll just come down little and often! I'm in the same boat, my debts are slowly coming down too :rotfl: I'm still unsure about my pay-rise etc. so have been looking at new jobs, got an interview on Friday for a better paid position so could even be debt free quicker than I thought! I realised today only 3 more months till 0.00 credit card debt and then it'll be £200 a month off my family debt, which is incredible! Little and often definitely pays off, stick with it and keep those credit cards coming down, not going up!

Yes one bit at a time.
    Always keep your job options open, because at the end of the day broken promises from your employer (which is quite common) could seriously impact your momentum and work life.

That'll be great, at least you dont have any interest accruing like some :o

It looks like I have about £400 left until next payday (20th), so with a fair amount of watching my money I should be able to add £100 onto CC before my next pay.
  • System
    Options
    Yes one bit at a time.
    Always keep your job options open, because at the end of the day broken promises from your employer (which is quite common) could seriously impact your momentum and work life.

That'll be great, at least you dont have any interest accruing like some :o

It looks like I have about £400 left until next payday (20th), so with a fair amount of watching my money I should be able to add £100 onto CC before my next pay.

Great News! How's the new house treating you?

I'm trying to find a flat-share... Went to one last night, amazing flat but living with a 48 year old man who was a bit of a pervert and told me he goes to the pub every night and doesn't come home till he's drunk.. Bit weird... The search goes on!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Great News! How's the new house treating you?

I'm trying to find a flat-share... Went to one last night, amazing flat but living with a 48 year old man who was a bit of a pervert and told me he goes to the pub every night and doesn't come home till he's drunk.. Bit weird... The search goes on!

Can't complain really, live with two nice fellas and its very affordable and a nice place, just wish I was maybe closer to the city, or in a more preferable area. Otherwise it's spot on, I'll probably stay put until I get a pay rise or something!

Are you still looking in the same areas? I remember it was very South-West somewhere..
  • System
    Options
    Can't complain really, live with two nice fellas and its very affordable and a nice place, just wish I was maybe closer to the city, or in a more preferable area. Otherwise it's spot on, I'll probably stay put until I get a pay rise or something!

Are you still looking in the same areas? I remember it was very South-West somewhere..

Surrey! More specifically now the Epsom area as offices are moving out of our beautiful manor house and in to town centre offices in Epsom right near the train station. Don’t particularly want to move as I’ve just made my flat feel like home AND furnished it, would feel like a bit of a step back moving out and having to get rid of all my furniture, plus train is V. expensive so I have to drive and sit in commuter traffic now, whole point of moving in where I did was to be near the offices and have as small a commute as possible. I’m a bit upset as my work contract states the building I currently work in and have had no news of a payrise or promotion, even though I’ve been delegated a lot of another colleagues tasks and was handed a piece of paper stating ‘job title change? Promo?’. Nobody is answering my q’s about a pay-rise so have been interviewing for other positions in my area – I have a right to know my job title.

Been spending a lot of time in London recently at my bf's place - it's ended up saving me money as we keep things cheap!
  • MrJester
    Options
    >12 Months
    Surrey! More specifically now the Epsom area as offices are moving out of our beautiful manor house and in to town centre offices in Epsom right near the train station. Don’t particularly want to move as I’ve just made my flat feel like home AND furnished it, would feel like a bit of a step back moving out and having to get rid of all my furniture, plus train is V. expensive so I have to drive and sit in commuter traffic now, whole point of moving in where I did was to be near the offices and have as small a commute as possible. I’m a bit upset as my work contract states the building I currently work in and have had no news of a payrise or promotion, even though I’ve been delegated a lot of another colleagues tasks and was handed a piece of paper stating ‘job title change? Promo?’. Nobody is answering my q’s about a pay-rise so have been interviewing for other positions in my area – I have a right to know my job title.

Been spending a lot of time in London recently at my bf's place - it's ended up saving me money as we keep things cheap!

Who said London had to be expensive eh? Lots of free things to do ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport