We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bank account with no ID??

Options

Comments

• MrSilk
    MrSilk Posts: 1,507 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I didn't get my driving licence/passport until I was 22, best thing I ever done.. And I don't drink or go on holidays that much... Good to have there incase I need it.. But funnily enough, never ever needed ID to open a bank account!
  • MrSilk
    edited 22 September 2014 at 6:50PM
    Options
    I hope one day you can have such a positive relationship with any children you have

What such a lovely thing to say! :(

If my parents smothered me I'd soon tell them what for. Life is for living. lighten up.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would guess by the last one that you are not a parent or perhaps a mostly absent one
    Just an observation but earlier you said 'Well that's not very nice!! Never judge a person til you've walked a mile in their shoes.'
  • MrSilk
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Just an observation but earlier you said 'Well that's not very nice!! Never judge a person til you've walked a mile in their shoes.'

Gives but can't take.
  • Hooloovoo
    Hooloovoo Posts: 1,281 Forumite
    Options
    MrSilk wrote: »
    If my parents smothered me I'd soon tell them what for. Life is for living. lighten up.

That kid's gonna go batshit crazy when he gets to University [:rotfl:]
  • MrSilk
    Options
    Hooloovoo wrote: »
    That kid's gonna go batshit crazy when he gets to University [:rotfl:]

Lmao haha 'batshit'!!
  • beebearshouse
    Options
    ColdIron wrote: »

Point taken I accept the correction
    If you see someone without a smile.
    Give them yours :A

Debt free - as long as you don't count my student loan
  • beebearshouse
    Options
    OK so to summarise for anyone who is actually affected by this issue (as unfortunately the useful information has become obscured by some totally off subject comments):

If you need ID and either cannot afford or do not want to stump up for a passport or driving license try the Citizen card http://www.citizencard.com/ this is also an accepted way to prove you are over 18 as it is accepted by the police and security industry (costs from £15).

With regard to getting a bank account without the requested ID try NatWest who will accept birth certificates for under 20's, Nationwide who will accept it for under 18 or TSB who will take it for under 19.

Thank you so much to dazza.mk and welshbookworm for the help now to send DS off to get an account sorted :-)
    If you see someone without a smile.
    Give them yours :A

Debt free - as long as you don't count my student loan
  • Archi_Bald
    Options
    If you need ID and either cannot afford or do not want to stump up for a passport or driving license try the Citizen card http://www.citizencard.com/ this is also an accepted way to prove you are over 18 as it is accepted by the police and security industry (costs from £15).

I think you are jumping the gun a bit by saying the citizencard is an acceptable way to prove ID to a bank. More correct would be to say it might be accepted by banks. But don't be surprised it they don't accept it as the citizencard is not issued by a government authorised body. Also bank staff are only trained to identify valid passports and DLs.

It might be false economy to think £15 for a citizencard is better value than £72.50 for a passport, or £50 for a provisional DL..
  • MrSilk
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »
    I think you are jumping the gun a bit by saying the citizencard is an acceptable way to prove ID to a bank. More correct would be to say it might be accepted by banks. But don't be surprised it they don't accept it as the citizencard is not issued by a government authorised body. Also bank staff are only trained to identify valid passports and DLs.

It might be false economy to think £15 for a citizencard is better value than £72.50 for a passport, or £50 for a provisional DL..

Instead of paying £15 towards a citizencard, IMHO too, it would be more cost effective putting that £15 towards a passport or provisional driving licence. A provisional licence is valid for 10 years don't forget, so even if the OP's son isn't interested in driving now, he may change his tune well within the next 10 years. PLUS you know that it's 110% accepted by banks for ID purposes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport