Universal Job Match at http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk

Options

Comments

• Denno666
    Denno666 Posts: 94 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have an 'Alert' on my Jobmatch account which says you have taken no action on matches in the past 5 days. When you have completed the required action the alert will be deleted.

These 'matches' are emailed to me (I never gave any permission so I don't know what's happening there), I click on the links and it just takes me to the JM screen and says 'Error. There was an unexpected problem processing your request'. It's so annoying!!!!! This has happened and yet where it says on my JM page Recommended Jobs (which is a laugh - I've had one job as a secretary and yet my recommended jobs include engineering?) I often trail through them looking for jobs, and yet it does not seem to think that this is an 'action'.

Very annoyed, as you might have gathered.
  • stix62
    stix62 Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    Options
    andy2004 wrote: »
    Just been on yahoo and found this four-people-chase-job-vacancy see link
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/four-people-chase-job-vacancy-001403545.html#uZfCemI

The comments below the actual story are more interesting.

4?
    Are they XXXX'ing joking?

need a few more zero's on the end of that
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    stix62 wrote: »
    4?
    Are they XXXX'ing joking?

need a few more zero's on the end of that
    More like 300-400!!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • simon5623
    simon5623 Posts: 26 Forumite
    Options
    On Universal Jobmatch, do you have to allow the Jobcentre access?
  • Affynity
    Affynity Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    simon5623 wrote: »
    On Universal Jobmatch, do you have to allow the Jobcentre access?

No, and you can block the cookies on a home computer to prevent the full functionality (snooping) of the site.

Personally, I'm resisting UJ as long as possible. Mandation is going to be done via Jobseeker's Directions, but this should only apply to people who cannot evidence they are meeting their Jobseeker's agreements via their current jobsearch methods.

If you read the terms & conditions in regards to standards of behaviour, you will see this:

"5. Disclaimer

5.1 While we make every effort to keep the Universal Jobmatch website up to date, we don’t provide any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to the accuracy of the information on the site.

5.2 We don’t accept liability for loss or damage incurred by users of the website, whether direct, indirect or consequential, whether caused by tort, breach of contract or otherwise. This includes loss of:
    - income or revenue
    - business
    - profits or contracts
    - anticipated savings
    - data
    - goodwill
    - tangible property
    or wasted management or office time in connection with our site or in connection with the use, inability to use, or results of the use of our site, any websites linked to it and any materials posted on it. This condition shall not prevent claims for loss of or damage to your tangible property or any other claims for direct financial loss that are not excluded by any of the categories set out above.

5.3 This does not affect our liability for death or personal injury arising from our negligence, nor our liability for fraudulent misrepresentation or misrepresentation as to a fundamental matter, nor any other liability which cannot be excluded or limited under applicable law."

So I would recommend that nobody ever agrees to sign up, allow DWP access, accept cookies or upload anything other a heavily truncated C.V. Never, EVER add your date of birth or N.I number.
    There are plans to accept cookies on behalf of the hardware owned and operated within the Jobcentre (and possibly Work Programme providers' premises, but I don't think they have the same data control rights and cannot force you to do it).
    So your local JCP will soon be burdened with providing 35 hours of available internet for every claimant.

Other such loopholes exist such as "Uploading a public CV". Personal data cannot be made public, so there's scope to resist that. Also the JCP and DWP cannot enforce a definition of what constitutes a 'C.V', so truncated is best.

I understand for certain anxious jobseekers, there are concerns about what comes across as being inflexible and uncooperative and what is genuine self-preservation.
    My advice is make sure you are making lots of applications.
    There may be a condition if you don't need to use UJ, that you provide evidence of applications in the form of screenprints. I would suggest you inquire about alternatives, like a USB pen drive or a subsidy for printing costs.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I signed on for my first appointment, I did tell the advisor that I don't find the UJ very useful for my industry, and I don't want to use the site for anything. She said for now I could just use the booklet and provide proof. Either print outs or on my phone. I have an iPhone so have been 'screen grabbing' emails I've sent and other applications as proof.

I did have a look on the UJ for any jobs in my industry, nothing. So it's useless for me anyway.

If they ask me to print it out, I'll say I can't afford to keep printing. My first sign on day is in 2 days, so we'll see what they say!
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    The other month I heard someones first interview at mine. Why they were out of work, what were they looking for, did they have any criminal convictions etc. Everyone could hear it as there are no private rooms that they use to do this. The nearest person was 1ft away!!!
    i think theres no privacy because,
    1. they have someone to back them up if you deny being told to do something.
    2. incase someone knocks them out.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    i think theres no privacy because,
    1. they have someone to back them up if you deny being told to do something.
    2. incase someone knocks them out.
    No its because they have no space - all open plan and only the managers room is private.

No ones ni number, employment record, criminal record should be talked about with 50 people listening. I was almost on this blokes lap I was so close!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Midnighter
    Midnighter Posts: 18,406 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 12 March 2013 at 4:58PM
    Options
    Anyone else having problems with the site? I tried to log in as usual and was told I'd entered an incorrect password, I hadn't and tried again a couple of times. Still wasn't working so requested a new password which also doesn't seem to work!!!

You've gotta love this site. It states in the email containing the second part of your password, they display half on screen and email you the rest, that if you're still having problems to ring the relevant department for help. Only one problem, looking at the help section there is no phone number for UJM just an email address. Guess I'll be emailing them and 'venting'.
    '...luck came to those who left a space for it.' Terry Pratchett
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    No its because they have no space - all open plan and only the managers room is private.
    and its open plan for the reasons stated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure