We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Is it easier for migrants to find jobs?

Options

Comments

• mumx3
    mumx3 Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    I'v a friend who is Front of House Manager in a 4* hotel, most of his staff are Eastern European, I asked him why and simple answer was because they are hard workers. He had English staff in the restaurant and they would work a couple of shifts then just not turn up, sunday mornings they were too hungover to work breakfast etc etc.
    He was very straight up saying that he will employ Eastern Europeans over English any day, thats just the way it is, right or wrong??
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    scooby088 wrote: »
    I would be worse off if I didn't pull in at least £300 per week not because I have benefits as I work, I have a mortgage to pay and have the threat of house being repossessed by the lender if I cant afford to keep up repayments on it.

Those saying migrant workers are harder working are probably right in the main but my experience is that they are just as lazy as anyone else in the workplace. For centuries there has been migration whether forced or voluntary and I can't see why there is a problem with it, they pay the same rate tax and national insurance as everyone else, so fair play to them, what I find objectionable is someone who has never contributed but continue to take from the system.

You know that's what I get per week, I take home around £1200 per month. I wish I could claim that amount. Im not kidding either, I would love to live my life the way I want to, not to be a slave to money
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • silkyuk9
    Options
    AP007 wrote: »
    I would be better off if I got £72 a week and could walk to work so not everyone out of work is in ££££££££

The Labour Gov made it a good life for some on the dole - better off than on NMW

That's why this is all wrong, the government should make people go out and paint fences or cut bloody grass to claim their dole. Im not saying everyone can do this, my brother cant he has a 'special' illness!

But this will never happen because there are too many human right rules and laws. We are living in the rule of Brussels the sooner we leave the sooner the better, then bring back capital punishment too
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    silkyuk9 wrote: »
    That's why this is all wrong, the government should make people go out and paint fences or cut bloody grass to claim their dole. Im not saying everyone can do this, my brother cant he has a 'special' illness!

But this will never happen because there are too many human right rules and laws. We are living in the rule of Brussels the sooner we leave the sooner the better, then bring back capital punishment too
    then all the people who do that already for the council will be.......................out of work!!!
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • scooby088
    scooby088 Posts: 3,385 Forumite
    Options

I agree in principle the unemployed need things to do, but local councils pay people to do things like that, and also people on community service. When I was unemployed I would object to being classed as a criminal and that being tarred with the same brush.

Not everyone who is unemployed wants to sit on their bums but it is hard out there to find a job which isn't temporary or part time.
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    then all the people who do that already for the council will be.......................out of work!!!

There's plenty of simple/basic work to do that isn't being done. Litter, grafiti, grass cutting, hedge trimming, fence painting, etc. Walk down your street and you'll see things that need doing - unless you walk around with your eyes closed. How about simple maintenance of council buildings - i.e. decorating, weeding the grounds, window cleaning, etc. It's just not being done. Our village library is in a small plot surrounded by lawns - the lawns get cut twice a year - a right jungle in Summer! We have a circle of grass the the end of our cul-de-sac - council havn't been to cut it for at least a decade - we take it in turn to mow it ourselves as complaints were ignored. None of this is new with the coalition - work has gone undone for decades.
  • crabyducky
    Options
    no you wouldn't be you wouldn't be able to manage your bills if you did this by yourself. It would not work. Plus, getting up at 4am every morning day in day out even on those -10 mornings, getting £6-19 per hour. nah, you wouldnt

Oh I beg to differ I love the cold, in fact let's change that to I love all bad weather, the colder the better. I've worked in fields before, so I don't mind the early starts either.

Oh and by the way IM on JSA now and I would take a job in a field if it meant that I was warning money and not being made to feel as if IM the lowest of the low. I was brought up to work. It was drummed into us from an early age to work. So the last 2 years of not having a proper job has been hard. Least if I was in that field I could feel good about myself.
    MoneySpendingExpert
  • AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    There's plenty of simple/basic work to do that isn't being done. Litter, grafiti, grass cutting, hedge trimming, fence painting, etc. Walk down your street and you'll see things that need doing - unless you walk around with your eyes closed. How about simple maintenance of council buildings - i.e. decorating, weeding the grounds, window cleaning, etc. It's just not being done. Our village library is in a small plot surrounded by lawns - the lawns get cut twice a year - a right jungle in Summer! We have a circle of grass the the end of our cul-de-sac - council havn't been to cut it for at least a decade - we take it in turn to mow it ourselves as complaints were ignored. None of this is new with the coalition - work has gone undone for decades.
    Walk down my street? There are only houses in my road so not sure what I am meant to be looking for.

Our council building is an amazing building and the civic centre has fantasic grounds all maintained by the council workers.

The Coalition are not repsonsible for local councils only the council is oh yeah and the councilers you all vote for.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • falko89
    falko89 Posts: 1,687 Forumite
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    Last two employees I've taken on have been on recommendation from another employee - so yes, networking works! Both English BTW. It saves any costs associated with advertising and interviewing and if an employee recommends someone, they don't want to recommend a numpty, so we have found it works well all round.

Er, I think you need to add the word some. Some of us are looking to establish a long term relationship with our employees because it's far better for us to have people that know the job, know how we work and can establish a relationship with our customers. The two that have left reently have done so due to retirement after 21 years and 25 years.

I fear you're in the minority in this day and age which is a shame, as the country needs decent employers like yourself.

Heres an example, just took my grand son to the fun house, sat next to some people who were talking about jobs etc. one lass said her bf didnt want a job because they would be £40 worse off per week if he took a job. I thought typical that's why this country is in a state

The country is in a state because the previous government has made benefits pay more than NMW work and if we Brits decide not to do it we are automatically classed as lazy generally by those who will never be in the situation to be worrying about NMW and benefits.
    I'v a friend who is Front of House Manager in a 4* hotel, most of his staff are Eastern European, I asked him why and simple answer was because they are hard workers. He had English staff in the restaurant and they would work a couple of shifts then just not turn up, sunday mornings they were too hungover to work breakfast etc etc.
    He was very straight up saying that he will employ Eastern Europeans over English any day, thats just the way it is, right or wrong??

Love these stereotypes. In employer terms "They are hard workers" means we can treat them like crap and they'll do it without kicking up a fuss. Have to say I love the British patriotism in this country but there is more than your friend at it, but as I mentioned in my original post, In my firm the natives have all stayed put while its like a revolving door of migrant workers who will all need trained up, the natives would all be gone to if they could get out.
    no you wouldn't be you wouldn't be able to manage your bills if you did this by yourself. It would not work. Plus, getting up at 4am every morning day in day out even on those -10 mornings, getting £6-19 per hour. nah, you wouldnt

Another good point, when you cram 5 or 6 in a house with bills etc split 5/6 ways migrants can afford to earn pittance, a lot of Brits simply can't.
  • silkyuk9
    Options

No they wont. There are lots of work unemployed can do, work that local councils do not have time to do such as picking up dog !!!! or chewing gum on main streets. cleaning rivers or tidying up rubbish on beaches. if we all put our minds to it we can collectively come up with lots of jobs that would help the environment or your local community.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport