PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• Hello, thank you to everyone for this thread.

Please could I join in? This will be my first month of the challenge, I saved up my receipts last month and have a better idea of my spending now.
    Please can I put myself down for £100 for February. That is for 2 adults and one child. Will see how I do. Thanks :)
    £2 Savers Club #170 -£26
    Feb GC -£104.96/£100 :(
    March GC -£49.55/£100
  • LisaJane
    LisaJane Posts: 355 Forumite
    79p on milk...at least no spends on crisps and smoked salmon like yesterday. had a lovely roast chicken dinner at mum's mmmmm!
    Save 12k in 2014 (my target: £10 000):
    My savings: £4878.54/£7000
    Joint account savings: £2685.57/£3000
    Total:£7564.11/£10 000 (as at 26/10/14)
  • bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thinking of you and your dh

Dd sorry to hear of your loss

Hada smallspend today on milk

Tea tomorrow was supposed to be lo chicken. Oh put all the chicken in a bowl opened the fridge and dropped the bowl:eek: will have to besomething outof the freezer. What a waste:(
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thinking of you and your DH Mummyjane.

Bun bun, if that had been me I would have picked it up, popped it into a sieve or colander and washed it under running water and then bunged it back in the fridge again :o though I do lots of things lots of people wouldn't.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • This week's shop came to £29.62 so I'm still ahead of schedule. Off to update my signature now.
    Jan GC £96.95/£120; NSD 26/31
    Feb GC £113.19/£120: NSD 24/29
    Mar GC £54.22/£150 NSD 10/12

2012 Aim - To clear credit cards in 2012
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 February 2012 at 9:53AM
    rosieben wrote: »
    elsiepac, I've added your Roasted Vegetable Cous Cous recipe to the index :beer:

Thanks rosieben! :D

Sorry to hear everyone's recent bad news - my thoughts are with each of you as I know times must be hard.

For lunch today I have LO Minestrone Soup from last week, no pic but here's the recipe. This is one I make at least twice a month, as it's really easy, quick, healthy and yummy. Makes 4 good portions. No bread needed!

[FONT=&quot]Minestrone Soup

[FONT=&quot]Makes 4 servings [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]400g tin chopped tomatoes (43p)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 vegetable Oxo cube (7p)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2.5 - 3 tomato tins of water[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]100g thin spaghetti, broken into short lengths (I just use normal wholewheat) (20p)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]500g frozen mixed vegetables (50p)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1 tin white beans (haricot or cannelini - but I prefer haricot as cannelini make it too filling IMHO) (65p)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]¼ jar green pesto (25p)[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]parmesan, to serve[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Method[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Bring the stock to the boil with the tomatoes, then add the spaghetti and cook for 6 mins or until done.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]A few minutes before the pasta is ready, add the vegetables and bring back to the boil.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Simmer for 2 mins until everything is cooked. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Mix through the pesto.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Sprinkle with parmesan if desired - personally I don't bother. [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

I make it about £2.10 to make, so 52.5p per portion.

LC
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • DundeeDoll
    DundeeDoll Posts: 4,902 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks elsiepac. Have a friend coming round tonight for pizza and was wondering whether to do a starter. That soup sounds ideal :-) for pizzas I got 4 magheritas from lidl for £2.49. I'm going to do bowls of toppings including extra cheese, bacon, pineapple, peppers, salami and mushrooms and we can have fun making our own :D
    MrsSD declutter medals 🏅🏅🏅⭐⭐
  • elly2
    elly2 Posts: 556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Morning all I have not been shopping since last Weds but need milk today for mac cheese for tea (will send DS to the shop for a couple of cartons and have taken another ood block of cheese from the freezer), added another £35 to my pot as i was going to go out sat night but then thought i must be mad for even considering it when the snow/rain/hail hit. I have a couple of ££ in change to pay for the milk so will add the other £20 to my bb purse as i have tea sorted for tomorrow (sausage and stuffing plait) and my new week starts on Weds.
    I have been no-where over the last few days (am becoming very anti-social but i know that if i venture out i will spend) I recieved a very special phone call on Fri :T from my sister who i have not seen/spoken to for 20 years (family problems) it was so good to hear her voice and i hope things will move forwards for us now we have an awful lot to catch up on.
    Mummy Jane hope your dh health improves
    Dd sorry to hear of your loss
  • Good Morning everyone,

Hope that the snow is not causing too many problems for you all.

There is one good thing about not being able to get out though, I can't spend any money!!!:rotfl:

I have been sorting out the cupboards this morning and have found loads of cooking ingredients so think an afternoon of baking beckons.
  • tessie_bear
    tessie_bear Posts: 4,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    hi...foggy here...not very nice so take care if u are out and about

shepherds pie for tea and might make a crumble....need to decide on tomorrows tea and get summat out of the freezer...might roast a chicken dont need much shopping so hopefully the budget wont be blown

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family