New plastic Fascia Boards and Guttering

Options
124»

Comments

• HugoSP
    HugoSP Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Options
    I've just quoted to do a 3 bed bungalow with 3 gable ends and a complicated roof.

To include new Fascias, soffits and guttering after removing the old wooden fascias.

£2800

The fascia boards are a mix of 7 and 8 inch, soffits are a right mix, mostly with built in vents (make sure you specify this).

I also need to put battons on the wall as the existing soffits are nailed to the underside of the rafters. The new soffits will need to be horizontal.

h
    Behind every great man is a good woman
    Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42:rotfl:
  • samcat_2
    samcat_2 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    HugoSP wrote:

The fascia boards are a mix of 7 and 8 inch, soffits are a right mix, mostly with built in vents (make sure you specify this)

h

Is it just vents in the soffits that you specify? is it to stop them warping or ventilation or something?
  • mx-3
    mx-3 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    You can`t do the job properly using ladders...........
  • CunningStunt_2
    Options
    Just look on this site and check the prices for Soffits and Facias - These guys who have quoted are having a laugh!!!!

http://www.angelplastics.co.uk/Home.asp

That's all well and good Mr Provtalgia, but if you priced the materials of most jobs you would come to the same conclusion.

You have to bare in mind the additional cost's as to why companies charge the prices they qoute.

Take into consideration :

Vehicle, Fuel, Public Liability Insurance (in case accidents happen), Tools, Scaffolding (very expensive), training and experience to do the job correctly (as ive seen some very suspect work) and wages because this is a 2 man job.

Also add not just the fascia's, but theres the soffits, guttering, verge/bird guard, barge boards, corners, clips, glues, nails, running outlets, down pipes, concrete soffits, sand, cement, felt, stop ends, bends, joints blar blar blar...
    And all good fitters will replace rotten joists upto the brickwork in the price qouted.

I agree that Fascia Mania, Staybrite, Virgo and all the other big companies use bully boy sales reps to try and get you to sign on the spot, I for one used to work for Fascia Mania as a sales rep (otherwise known as a SURVEYOR???) and I hated the tactics that the manager was trying to make take over the phone in a prospective customers house with discount after discount for a board in the garden with the companies name on it and oh, theres a slot thats come free and instead of having the fitters out of work for a day or two if you have them we will discount the work to keep the fitters busy???, but thats why I got out and went fitting again.

I love nothing better than going to customers that have had qoutes of these BIG boys, because I give them one price and thats, leave it with them with a polite goodbye for them to peruse over, after all its all about customer service and quality work, and not how many ££££'s you can get out of one house.

Anyway hope all you people that require the work find good honest reliable companies out there, we are one and know there are others out there too...

Also to those who have a little handy experience but require some additional help in this field just PM me, im always happy to help !!!
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We eventually replaced our guttering and facias etc. last year. OH assisted builder who had done other work on our house. They had to remove the old asbestos guttering (which the council collected for disposal). Took them about 4 days to do the whole house, including porch and garage. The soffits were the most fiddly because the roof overhangs the house by about 2 foot and it was tricky getting the mobile scaffolding in place but they did it. Paid just over £1000 for material and labour.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • Eigerplastics
    Options
    Try Eiger Plastics youl find them cheaper I think
  • lancashire_lad_3
    Options
    try eiger plastics youl find them cheaper i think
    spam alert post resurrection
  • keystone
    keystone Posts: 10,916 Forumite
    Options
    Try Eiger Plastics youl find them cheaper I think
    I know we are supposed to be nice to one another on this forum but you are a moron firstly for dragging up an ancient thread thats over 30 months old to peddle your wares and secondly for breaking a golden rule and using the forum to tout for business. Having looked at your website you ain't that cheap either m8.

Spam merchant. :spam::spam:

Bye
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits. - Einstein
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure