New plastic Fascia Boards and Guttering

Options

Comments

• thehairybuilder
    Options
    Well sure , my prices are the prices I sold the pvc fascia for . With a £100 per day labour cost I don`t think I`m being unreasonable . Anyways , according to this we`re all wasting our time with PVC fascias . . . . .
    http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-pvc-cladding.htm
    do you believe ask-jeff ?
    I`m now officially too old to die young
  • trafalgar_2
    trafalgar_2 Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well sure , my prices are the prices I sold the pvc fascia for . With a £100 per day labour cost I don`t think I`m being unreasonable . Anyways , according to this we`re all wasting our time with PVC fascias . . . . .
    http://www.ask-jeff.co.uk/building-pvc-cladding.htm
    do you believe ask-jeff ?

interesting reading ,now I may think again

I was going to do it because they need painting at a quote of £500 so thought well we may as well put the plastic on then...................less maintenance so the extra cost is absorbed

might just get them pianted again now
  • KK
    KK Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    gosh thanks for this - will think again about UPVC - and tell my husband.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have had 2 quotes for my home(plumb Hall):D
    For upvc woodgrain £2300 and £2100 with new facia,soffit,gutters,dry verges etc.
    I have just had delivery today of the materials £700, cost of scaffolding £500,total £1200,spending this weekend putting them up,and making a saving of £900.
    Save even more if fitting white,as its half the price.

Now repeat after me- IT WILL NOT RAIN IN THE NORTHWEST:D
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have a 1950's semi with what I am told Asbestos guttering. We had it painted 3 years ago but its all flaking again.

How dangerous is this type of guttering? How much roughly will it cost me to replace all the gutterings and down pipes? Should I go white or black. Neighbours house is suppose to be white but is a lovely moss green as they never clean it.:rolleyes: I favour white but most of the houses which have gone white around here quickly turn green whereas I can't see that on the black guttering.

Thanks
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • malteser
    malteser Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    my dad has just done this himself on a 1930s semi and it cost him about £150 in materials and £150 in scaffolding. it looks fantastic.
  • waaag
    waaag Posts: 200 Forumite
    Options
    Oh my word! I think I had better cancel after reading this thread. I had a quote for fitting fascias, bargeboards, soffits. The company was fascia mania.of Nottingham. They seem to use high quality materials, and are qualified builders, they have ideas which seem brilliant, ie combs to stop the birds coming under the tiles and even a wasp guard and they use a flexible mortar, ie it wont crack and fall out. They seem very competent. We live in a large detached bungalow. We have been quoted at first almost 10 thousand!, we chose black wood effect as opposed to white, so knew it would be dearer, but then they said if we did it on a standby ie if another customer cancelled then we could have their slot, then we could have it for 7 and a half thousand. I know that they don't just put cladding over rotting wood that they remove and replace timber rafters, but even so I think it seems excessive? Upon returning home, my partner has said get it cancelled its too much. A second opinion is urgently needed, measurements are 8.5m bargeboards rear and front, house sides fascias and soffits 13m and 2 x 2.4m little dorma bargeboards, and soffits and fascias. Thanks!
  • waaag
    Options
    I have in the meantime had another ridiculous quote from 'staybrite' 12 thousand... but they can knock some off if I have it done straight away, have my house picture in their ad, they seem much the same as fasciamania, with their phrases and sales techniques,especially when they ring their boss and say 'its the worst we have ever seen and it would be a really good job for us we want this one so can we give these people a discount do you think?' hmmm.It came down to about 7 thousand. Local small firms have asked about 6 - 7 hundred, (bit of a difference) replace rotten, use quality materials, and take their mess away just like the two big firms who quoted me.. I am expecting my third quote then I will choose and recommend. Noticeably the bigger expensive firms have pushy sales people, one of them phoned me each quarter of an hour for two days,to get me to change my mind I would think..i didn't bother to answer them, because its still more than smaller companies are going to charge for seemingly identical service, I have seen all their example materials and it is the same thickness, quality, so far, anyway.
  • plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dont pay more than £5k max,get some quotes off smaller companies.
  • waaag
    Options
    Thanks plumb, I have found 2 smaller companies after asking around, seems they are considerably cheaper, but, they have not yet been. In the meantime the bigger companies have me on an automatic dialler - that is, where they dial your number if you pick it up it goes dead if their sales consultants are not available at that precise moment. Which just serves to annoy people! and word of mouth gets around of this tactic. I get it each 15 mins! I have registered with telephone preference service now. Blimey all I want is my house doing....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure