Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 20th Apr 05, 10:50 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 20th Apr 05, 10:50 AM
    • 20th Apr 05, 10:50 AM
    Hi Skye!

I made these once, but not with great success. I parboiled for 5 mins, roughed up in a colander, and placed on a baking try with some oil. I put it in the oven for about 45 minutes and they weren't crispy at all!!! I ended up having to eat them after the rest of my dinner as they took ages to crisp.

I don't think my oil had been hot enough when I put them in the baking tray.

give it a go and let us know how you get on.

r.mac
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • skye
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:17 PM
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:17 PM
    I have been putting them in a deep fat fryer (but I haven't mastered normal chips yet either), but I think I will try them in the oven next time.
    • zzzLazyDaisy
    • By zzzLazyDaisy 20th Apr 05, 12:29 PM
    • 12,134 Posts
    • 18,762 Thanks
    zzzLazyDaisy
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:29 PM
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:29 PM
    Found this recipe. Haven't tried it yet - if you do, let me know how you get on, please.

Title: Oven Fried Sweet Potatoes
    Categories:
    Yield: 7 Servings

4 md Sweet potatoes; peeled and
    .. sliced 1/4" thick
    1 tb Olive oil
    1/4 ts Salt
    1/4 ts Pepper
    Vegetable cooking spray
    1 tb Finely chopped fresh
    .. parsley
    1 ts Grated orange rind
    1 Clove garlic; minced

Combine potatoes, oil, salt and pepper, coating
    well. Bake on a large sprayed cookie sheet at
    400 for 30 minutes, until tender, turning
    halfway through.

Combine remaining ingredients; stir well and
    sprinkle over potatoes.
    • Pollen
    • By Pollen 20th Apr 05, 12:34 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    Pollen
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:34 PM
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:34 PM
    Some recipes here and here & cooking tips here although if you go to home page suggest that recipes may increase your bi-ceps
    • Swattie
    • By Swattie 20th Apr 05, 12:37 PM
    • 716 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    Swattie
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:37 PM
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:37 PM
    Skye,

Why dont you just ask the chef at the restaurant - he/she may give you the recipe.
  • skye
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:42 PM
    • 20th Apr 05, 12:42 PM
    Skye,

Why dont you just ask the chef at the restaurant - he/she may give you the recipe.
    by Swattie
    I will do, just I haven't been for a while ( I am trying to save money to pay off debts)

And I will try that receipe it looks quite tasty.
  • firrybabe
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:19 PM
    • 20th Apr 05, 7:19 PM
    I've made sweet potato wedges before and they've come out quite nice. Tis a trial and error process really.

I scrub the potato, cut it down and then boil the wedges until they are nearly cooked.

I then put them on a baking tray, drizzle some olive oil and herbs over them and leave them to bake on gas mark 6 for about 10/15 minutes but I generally check on them so they don't burn sometimes they are just nice in under 10 mins, other times it needs a bit longer.

Good luck !
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 21st Apr 05, 8:22 PM
    • 21st Apr 05, 8:22 PM
    I know telling kids that a particular food is "Very good for you" is probably the quickest way of putting them off it so keep it to yourself but be aware that Sweet Potatoes really are one of the "Super foods" for nutritional value.
    Absolutely stuffed full of beta carotene. Vitamin A and the level of vitamin C is also very good.
    You can see for yourself the complete list
    Sweet Potato Nutritional value
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 19th Oct 05, 8:34 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Sweet potato and bourbon.
    Not the same thing at all but a friend recently sent me this:-

Ingredients:

6 medium Sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup Brown sugar
    1/4 cup butter -- in bits
    1/4 cup Bourbon

Directions:

Bake potatoes in 350F oven until tender. Let cool, peel and cut into slices 1/2 in thick.

Butter 9x13 pan and place potatoes in it. Cover with butter and sugar, and pour bourbon over.

Bake at 350F for 30-45 minutes. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 19th Oct 05, 8:44 AM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    I can't exactly suggest recipes but I have a few ideas.

My mum used to use a combination of sweet potatoes and normal potatoes for the roasties on Christmas Day.

There's a gorgeous lunch takeaway place on the edge of Borough Market in London which bakes sweet potatoes like normal jacket potatoes, and serves them on a bed of rocket and stuffed with a filling of feta cheese, olives etc. It's delicious but I can only afford it occasionally!
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 19th Oct 05, 9:40 AM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Oh yum - just got some feta cheese out of the freezer (don't know if it defrosts well ) and I have 5 sweet potatoes in the fridge.

Now there's an interesting lunch alternative Thanks.
  • lifesachallenge
    i never parboil sweet potatos - they aree soft and not starchy so do not need it - that is probably why they are just going soggy.

200degrees with just a spray of oil for 40 mins should do the trick - tossing occasionally.

They make fab jacket potatoes also and mash - i use it instead of normal potato on cottage pie etc - so sweet you never need to add butter or milk.
  • jjs mum
    I've made this recipee, it's from Anthony Warrel Thompson low gi cookbook.

Scrub sweet potatoes , then stab with a fork. Bake in oven for 30 mins, then remove. Cool for a few mins, then cut into wedge type shapes, recook in the over for another 25 - 30 mins. Eat with a dipping sauce.

delicious
    Can't resist a bargain.........
    • Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 19th Oct 05, 12:32 PM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Oh yum - just got some feta cheese out of the freezer (don't know if it defrosts well ) and I have 5 sweet potatoes in the fridge.

Now there's an interesting lunch alternative Thanks.
    by Ticklemouse
    Oops - pressed Thanks instead of Quote!

There are spices and a bit of chilli involved in the feta filling, but not sure exactly what.
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 19th Oct 05, 1:21 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    So am i right in thinking that sweet spuds will mash roast and chip like normal potatos ?

Also are they the same colour or are they orange (I think i may have seen them) as i may try and trick my b/f Wicked grin smiley

Will he taste the difference, is it a really drastic taste :confused:

Sorry for all the questions

Oh just one more, how expensive are they compared with normal spuds ? Thanks
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    It depends on the variety you buy. They are usually carrot coloured or slightly darker however I've had a small white variety. The texture and sweetness is more like parsnip than potatoe.
    I usually get mine when they are half price in Lidl's They were 79pkg this morning so about 1.50 a kg usually.
    I like them baked like a normal baked potatoe though they don't usually take quite as long. You can mash them or use them like carrots. Quite nice roast as you would roast potatoes.
    • Cullumpster
    • By Cullumpster 19th Oct 05, 1:45 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    Cullumpster
    Thanks Ted

I'll try that
    • katskorner
    • By katskorner 19th Oct 05, 1:58 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 3,447 Thanks
    katskorner
    All I do is give them a scrub (do not peel) then cut them into slices about half a cm thick. Spread them out over a baking tray and drizzle some olive oil over them. Add a dash of ground sea salt and bake in a hot oven - 200 - 220 degrees Gas 6 or 7 - depending how you like them for 20-25 minutes.

Gorgeous!!
    • Sheel
    • By Sheel 20th Oct 05, 1:18 PM
    • 44,846 Posts
    • 40,220 Thanks
    Sheel
    Ooooh! I love sweet potatoes , I shall be trying out some of the suggestions on this thread

Just had to show you the sweet potato that I had on my recent holiday in Hawaii. Apparently they are trying out different crops and sweet potatoes are one of them , but they not like any sweet potatoes i've ever seen or eaten before , they are a lovely shade of purple and the consistency is not like potato at all , it's just like bread

JAMMF
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin